My Viv setup

DisoDragon

Beardie name(s)
Orange
I’ve put some pretty serious hours of work, time research and questions on various YouTuber , animal enthusiast etc places in my mission to try and get my buddy orange into his ideal comfy cozy home.

Some history , I adopted him just about a month ago officially , been caring for him for about 1.5 months cause I was contracted to lizard sit for the previous owner and they discovered that they wouldn’t be able to afford the upkeep at present due to losing their job, some of the equipment getting worn out etc

His equipment was a fairly nice 36x18x18 tank which understand is acceptable, however not really ideal for an active beardy , initially there was sand . I immediately put the end to that and got a reptile carpet his lights were a 100w lizard bulb approximately 4 inches above the screen for basking on a rock that nearly filled to the screen. A 10.0 uvb coil light by I want to say either zoomed or thrive placed adjacent to the basking light in a wide deep reflector . A shallow water dish that is wide enough to serve as a pool of sorts and a feeding dish and a black light thing that the previous owner was convinced “brought out his color so he needed it”

After several weeks of extra jobs to get some pretty good cash on hand I upgraded the guy about a week and a half ago to his 4x2x2 pvc and acrylic door enclosure , reptisun 10 t5 uvb set in a Carolina custom cages uv+2 basking bulb rig which is mounted nearly as close to the back right side of the enclosure as possible , a wider slightly shorter cool side rock hide. To give him plenty of space to get away if he wants to a log hide more central , he doesn’t hide in it, but seems to love to stand on it when he’s just hanging out
Also an actual stone basking rock, which is shorter than the other one and now since I dropped to a smaller GU10 flood light from 75 to 50 it’s maintaining temps between 95 and 103-105 depending where on the rock I shoot my IR thermo. His basking area is toward the back of the viv where the bulbs are located linearly he’s approximately 19.5 inches away from the uvb source and the basking light is about 2.5 inches closer than that . Ambient air temps are about 79 now on the cooler side and 83 on the warmer with the inside of his hide hitting 75

According to the only uv detector I was able to get my hands on after everything which is a card that absorbs the radiation and changes colors his bulb is functioning properly , at the left front most corner of his viv it’s very light on uv, inside his rock hide there’s somewhere between little and no UV, at his log there’s about midrange uv and slightly up from that at his basking spot , that’s generally setting the card on the tile substrate and checking in about 20 seconds later

I read beardies are Ferguson zone 3 animals and I’d imagine most of my furniture sits below that based on my ability to judge this card , probably zone 2, leaning up toward 3

The ask is on this, how’s my setup doing so far , and any advise on what I could improve

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It sounds good but i would try to get him closer to the uvb, 12 to 15 inches. Also the ir guns can be off on certain material, so two of the little cheapy probe thermometers by ZooMed are much more accurate. I also recommend a ceramic heat emitter for night time temps (if needed) no light at night please. Also take those colored bulbs the last owner had and hit them really hard with a big hammer (the bulbs not the owners lol) colored bulbs can cause all kinds of eye issyes with these guys.

Attachments

• 20220703_150745.jpg
    20220703_150745.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 53

DisoDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Orange
Already done on the colored bulbs appreciate the advice about the probe therms , didn’t know the IR heat gun could be off that much, I had it for checking various rooms and stuff for cold spots when I’m doing home renovation

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It's material dependent, on some stuff the ir will be spot on, on other stuff I've seen mine be off as much as 10 degrees. I'm a mechanic by trade and mine came from a tool truck so it pretty hi end and still can be fooled.

DisoDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Orange
That’s crazy got some zoo med self contained digital readers to use for now and my probe thermometer I use on the grill , thanks for the info

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom