MY TWO NEW RESCUES

Status
Not open for further replies.

william488

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ya, right now, I have the two new bearded dragons separated from each other, in two different rooms and they both are away from my other dragons. I do take them out to sleep on me, but don't let them run around my livingroom yet as I do have my two original beardies run around there all the time. I don't want this fungus to get out to the others. I wash my hands with sanitizers and soap and water between handling them and the others. I even prepare the foods separate. I was thinking of buying some baby foods tomorrow and a small syringe feeder. anyone have a preference of a good baby food that is good for beardies?

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Stage 1 foods with only the meat and broth or veg and water are best. I usually mix equal parts of a meat and a veg and warm it in the microwave like for a baby. It might need to be watered down, as well. Turkey and chicken are recommended, though I find that turkey mixes better. Squash, green beans, sweet potatoes, and peas are good. No spinach. You can mix their supplements in with the baby food.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
As long as the fruit or veggie is okay for dragons to eat, then the babyfood version will be okay too. :) Just double check the ingredients to make sure there's no added sugars or salt or sketchy chemicals. "Stage 1" is the best I believe, since it's easiest for dragons to digest. (Our adults have eaten Stage 2 squash and Stage 2 fruits before and been fine though. I think it's mainly the weird ones with things like noodles and such that should be avoided lol). And squash flavor seems to be a favorite among the vast majority of beardies. Even my picky 4 year old male loves it! :)
Edit: Esther beat me to it! ;)

Esther19

BD.org Addict
You should be able to get syringes at the pharmacy. Mine just give them to me, though I offer to pay. I like the smallest ones best. Good way to give water orally, too.

william488

Juvie Member
Original Poster
those pictures on the top (with the sand) were from the previous owners, that was the first thing to go. They did not even clean them out before I got there, The sand was really bad, atleast a month of poop, and sand was clumped and stuck to the cages do to moisture and poo. It stunk so bad that I smelled it comming in the rooms the tanks were in. They currently are housed on paper towels so I can keep it ultra clean, and doing a really good cleaning with some stuff that is used in vets to clean once a week.

I still have to wait another 10 days untill I can get my guys to the vet.

william488

Juvie Member
Original Poster
here is an update, to recap, two weeks ago, I drove 100 miles one way to rescue two more bearded dragons. They are doing good. One is missing toes, and part of his jaw and looks like he has really bad yellow fungus and his vet appointment is 1/12. The other bearded dragon I got with that one was burned really bad about 7 months ago on his back and is looking really good. its all healed but bad scaring and needs assistance with sheds. he also looks like he has a small spot on his left hind leg and a dime size spot on his belly of yellow fungus. Here are some pictures of the two:

this photo is of the second beardie rescue his name is Grumpy (was named spike) for his attitude, he trys to bite you when he is in his cage, but loves to cuddle when he is out. as you can see in the photo, the weird patches on his upper back is the burn area, and it doesn't shed well.this is what he looks like when he is comfortable and spreds out.
20121231_194110.jpg

this photo is of Grumpy when I got him, he has slowly putting on weight, he still doesn't eat but I am feeding him baby food with a syringe . and he actually had eaten a few roaches yesterday and a couple today.
B75EB0FE-1609-465F-BED1-E4B828D065D3-2294-0000053EF05C685D.jpg

this is Buddy, one of the bearded dragons I rescued two weeks ago and he is missing all his toes on his front left foot and one toe on his front right and part of his jaw is gone. He also has what looks like massive yellow fungus on his belly, beard, and in the folds of his beard near his neck.
76D95F45-B8C8-43EF-A192-B5A2FF596399-2294-0000053ED48F7565.jpg

william488

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Grumpy has eaten 4 roaches over the last 5 days. starting to get worried for him. he has never touched his greens. Yesterday, he ate 2 roaches, the day before, nothing . Today no bugs. I am trying to feed him crickets, supers (both small and large ones) and roaches. I've tried Kale, squash, mustard greens, collard greens, red chard, cactus pads, blackberry, apples, oranges. nothing. So, over the last 5 days, on the days he doesn't eat anything I have been making him lick baby food off his nose, and when he opens his mouth, try to squirt some in there, usually a few cc's worth is all I can get him to take before he will not open his mouth again. He is still way too skinny but is putting on weight. he is getting less and less grumpy, and I am guessing alot of that was his discomfort of his burn area, and the layers and layers of un shedded skin on it. also maybe do to relocation stress too. My question is, does anyone think I am over-reacting with his not eating, that it is most likely relocation stress? or should I try to force more food in him? I feel like I might be doing more harm trying to force food in him then letting him just settle in. I do have an appointment for the two new beardies on the 12th for checkup and to find out if they have yellow fungus or not. (tentively, the vet is to be back that day and be able to take visits, but will not be for sure untill the 10th) otherwise the next closest vet is 100 miles away, and my next day off that I could travel that far is 22nd. Thanks all.

I love your dragons. I just got mine a few days before Christmas. He is fourteen inches long. He was only fed crickets and carrots. He is doing good eating for me. He took to frozen peas that I thawed for him in warm water. I tried him on collard greens but he wouldn't eat them out of the his food dish. I put them on his hammock with him and he ate some and i had some in the palm of my hand and he ate some that way. He ate the carrots and peas out of his dish so I am hoping once he gets use to the collards then I will be able to put them in his dish. He also liked a little of green peppers, but they are not suppose to be a staple. Good Luck with your dragons.

AmberC

Hatchling Member
I'm mostly commenting because I want to follow their progress. Have you tried soft bodied worms? They may not like the crunch or have sore jaws, both look pretty under weight so some wax worms wouldn't hurt. My thoughts are with you!

william488

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I have not tried soft body worms yet. As for grumpy. For Buddy he is putting on the weight now. He doesn't stop eating!! He eats everything on site. All greens and all bugs. He is doing great. He still is under weight but not bad. Grumpy on the other hand is way under weight. Thanks for the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom