My tank Setup & feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizelle

The reason I’ve made this post about my setup is that my last post about my new beardie got sidetracked about my tank setup and feeding, because I’ve got some really good advice and I just wanna verify it so here’s a few pics and info of my setup

This is my tank at a glance, with paper towels over the sand so my lizard won’t get impacted
106575-7529757810.jpg

This is the light I don’t use, should I use it? I think it’s called a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent Bulb (I think)
106575-7427240433.jpg

The light on the left is the one I do use (100 watt Repti Basking Spot Lamp) the one on the right is a red bulb, but those are bad for beardies, so I don’t use it, if your wondering why I don’t have a heat emitter, imma copy and paste my story from my recent post:
So when my mom got a kit (wich was a absolute ripoff) it came with one of those red lights for night, but I looked into it and found out beardies can see it, but I couldn’t afford. The heat emitter so I kept using it for like a day or two, and it WENT OUT, so then it was a problem, cause at the time my first beardie was alive (HES my recently deceased beardie, and I have a new one now) and needed heat, so I had to just let him have no light and heat at night,(sometimes leaving the light on in cooler nights) but with this new beardie while I was in the pet store, I saw one for 25$ and new it was worth it BUT the lady there was like “that’s gonna fry your beardie” and in my head I new everyone said it was just fine so I was like “but I got a 40gal” and she said I needed a 40gal breeder, and she said it was Thiccer, wich I fought sounded a little bogus but she was really set on me buying a red or blue light so I just used a excuse saying that I’ll fix my old red light (I won’t) And I’ll have to come back later and avoid her.
106575-5285336771.jpg

And here he is: he’s quite young
106575-3928772900.jpg

And I have fed him 10 crickets in which he hasn’t eaten (relocation stress) and I plan to order Phoenix worms and BSFL
And I’m gonna get some hornworms for him as a treat.

So yeah Light fixture wise many people have told me to get reptisun 10.0 tube t8 or t5, if you guys want me to change or fix something
Lemme know! Or if you just wanna comment something you can!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Get rid of the coil and get what I recommended- the fixture is a long fixture YOU NEED TO GET THIS RIGHT AWAY or your dragon will quit eating and become lethargic w/ out it?? He needs this to live--- you need the T 5 or T 8 most petstores sell the T 8's make sure you get a hood/ fixture that has a reflector do not buy one w/out it--- you can order a fixture from here for $32--- www.pangeareptiles.com get a 24" fixture and a 22" bulb either Reptisun 10.0 or an Arcadia 12% bulb
Karrie

Gizelle

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3k3qehfd said:
Get rid of the coil and get what I recommended- the fixture is a long fixture YOU NEED TO GET THIS RIGHT AWAY or your dragon will quit eating and become lethargic w/ out it?? He needs this to live--- you need the T 5 or T 8 most petstores sell the T 8's make sure you get a hood/ fixture that has a reflector do not buy one w/out it--- you can order a fixture from here for $32--- http://www.pangeareptiles.com get a 24" fixture and a 22" bulb either Reptisun 10.0 or an Arcadia 12% bulb
Karrie

Ok I’ll get it from petco as soon as possible.
When you said coil you mean the one I don’t use
and replace it with the t8, and For the hood, I think the hood over the one I don’t use works with it,
And thanks for the advice!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

That hood wont work for the new reptisun bulb. You will need to get a new fixture for the long tube reptisun.
Also, you want the uvb and heat to both be concentrated over the same spot. So in your picture you see how you have the hood on the cool side? When you get your new bulb and fixture it needs to be placed more on the other side next to the basking bulb.

Any reason you placed paper towels over the sand as opposed to just removing the sand?

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Gizelle":30kz6jwn said:
claudiusx":30kz6jwn said:
Moved by Moderator from General to Enclosures

I didn’t know there even was a enclosures forum lol

Oh you should definitely spend some time looking through the stickers and other threads here then. Lots of good info :)
Same with lots of other areas of the forums here.

-Brandon

Gizelle

Original Poster
claudiusx":pbxyw5z2 said:
Hi there,

That hood wont work for the new reptisun bulb. You will need to get a new fixture for the long tube reptisun.
Also, you want the uvb and heat to both be concentrated over the same spot. So in your picture you see how you have the hood on the cool side? When you get your new bulb and fixture it needs to be placed more on the other side next to the basking bulb.

Any reason you placed paper towels over the sand as opposed to just removing the sand?

-Brandon

Well the reason I put paper towels, is because actually 2 reasons, the first is that my mother things I’m gonna get it on the carpet when I clean it out (wich I totally wont lol) 2nd, is because I am planning to remove it, I just haven’t had time since yesterday so I just put temporary paper towels over it.

And the reason I have it set aside on the cooler side is because ei haven’t used it, and when I get the reptisun 10.0 tube t5, I will put it were I have my main light (over his basking spot)

Just a question, after I get the reptisun,will that completed replace my 100 watt Repti Basking Spot Lamp?
And when I get my reptisun, I’ll also get a heat emitter, so I’ll just be using a heat emitter at night, and a reptisun 10.0 t5 tube at day, correct?
(So I’ll completely stop using my 100 watt Repti Basking Spot Lamp and my ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent Bulb (even though I don’t use the fluorescent bulb anyway) right?

Gizelle

Original Poster
claudiusx":38b28sgj said:
Gizelle":38b28sgj said:
claudiusx":38b28sgj said:
Moved by Moderator from General to Enclosures

I didn’t know there even was a enclosures forum lol

Oh you should definitely spend some time looking through the stickers and other threads here then. Lots of good info :)
Same with lots of other areas of the forums here.

-Brandon

Ok! It’s always nice reading about different setups and stuff etc.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need a whole new fixture for uvb---- please Google or go look on PetSmart's website for the Reptisun 10.0 bulb and look at the fixture I sent website for--- http://www.pangeareptiles.com--- you need this ASAP it will not take long for your dragon to be sick and not eating--- DO NOT STOP using the basking bulb--- you need the basking bulb AND the UVB. for your dragon to digest his good--- do you have a digital probe thermometer to take basking temps???? That is another important factor for your dragon
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Great :)

To answer your question, you need to use both lights. The reptisun provides the uv exposure your dragon needs but it doesnt provide any heat. So that's why you would use your heat bulb and the reptisun.

You dont need a CHE at night unless temps in your house drop below 65. But it's nice to have just in case.

-Brandon

Gizelle

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2dkz8n2o said:
You need a whole new fixture for uvb---- please Google or go look on PetSmart's website for the Reptisun 10.0 bulb and look at the fixture I sent website for--- http://www.pangeareptiles.com--- you need this ASAP it will not take long for your dragon to be sick and not eating
Karrie

Ok! I’m planning to go to pet smart in a couple of hours, so imma list the things imma get and tell me if I’m forgetting anything

•Reptisun 10.0 TUBE either a T 8 or a T 5
• A hood for it
•Imma get hornworms as a snack, and see if they have BSFL and/or Phoenix worms
•I’m gonna get a heat emitter
• I’m gonna get some green grass turf for the bottom of the cage
•A better mister than my Gatorade bottle (I mist him for water but I still have a water boll just in case)
•A hanging net (maybe)
•Calcium powder
And I THINK that’s it,(some of this stuff I might get if I have extra money like a better mister or a basking net/rope thingy)
Tell me if I should add/take to this list!
And thanks for the help!

Gizelle

Original Poster
claudiusx":234bpsfz said:
Great :)

To answer your question, you need to use both lights. The reptisun provides the uv exposure your dragon needs but it doesnt provide any heat. So that's why you would use your heat bulb and the reptisun.

You dont need a CHE at night unless temps in your house drop below 65. But it's nice to have just in case.

-Brandon

Thanks for telling me!
Even though winter is ending, sometimes it can get pretty chilly at our house at night, so I’ll probably only use it on those types of days, and it’s good to know I can still use my previous light and not throw it away!
Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom