My snakes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
I've now expanded my group of snakes. They are so addicting. I have a light-phase western hognose (Jasper), a gray-banded kingsnake (Penny) and an Abbott's Okeetee cornsnake (Calvin). The hognose and king are super sweet. The corn is pretty much evil :wink: He wasn't handled his first few years as he was with a collector who keeps all sorts of pretty awesome snakes. He decided to go into strictly aussie pythons though so I have inherited him. He's especially aggressive during and after feeding. Tail rattling, striking, mouth open and hissing. The whole nine yards :roll: I'm hoping to pick up either a Kenyan or Rough-Scaled Sand Boa soon too.

Here's some pics of the babies :D

Jasper
100_2534.jpg

jasper7.jpg

wh.jpg

Penny (these pics of her are right before a shed so she doesn't look as nice, i have to upload the new ones)
100_2541.jpg

100_2549.jpg

100_2545.jpg

Calvin
100_2465.jpg

100_2471.jpg

100_2469-1.jpg

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
All gorgeous!! Especially Penny. I'm not usually more of a boa-person than a colubrid-person, but I LOVE grey-banded kingsnakes!! They are the coolest!!

Oooh, definitely get a rough-scaled sand boa! I just picked one up this weekend (you're not the only one who's addicted :mrgreen:), and he is awesome! Really mean and supposedly a really picky feeder (haven't offered food yet), but he is so darned cool-looking!

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, I went to the White Plains Expo on Sunday. I talked with Brian at BHB and he forgot the rough-scaled sand boas :( But I picked up a really cute kenyan. He picked her out for me and told me she's a little wild. Yeah, she's quite jumpy and skittish, but hopefully with some handling she'll calm right down. She just a youngin but she was double the size of all the other ones so I'm thinking she's gonna be a big girl.

100_2610.jpg

100_2611.jpg

And here's some nice post-shed pictures of the GB King

100_2563.jpg

100_2568.jpg

100_2566.jpg

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
Shame on Brian :lol: but with as many things as i'm sure are on his mind it's not a tragedy and the new baby is too cute :D

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, I wanted a kenyan also. So, now I'll just have to add the rough-scaled to the want/need list :D

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The gray and orange one is actually a Gray-Banded Kingsnake. They don't seem to be real common in the pet trade for some reason. I believe she is a light-phase blairs but I'm not exactly positive on that one. I'm still learning about them and there isn't a whole lot about them.

The hognose is the cutest little thing ever. He even eats while I hold him. He's like a little puppy dog lol.

Dang, I really love that western hog-nose. Very majestic! :D

I might do some reading up on them for their care requirements.

One question though: Do they make good starter reptiles?

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The hognose was my first snake actually. Some people say they aren't good beginner snakes but I didn't have too much trouble with him. You need to make sure that the breeder has them regularly eating pinkies though. Most hognoses eat mainly amphibians and it isn't easy to switch them over. So having a professional do it for you before you get one would definitely be ideal. I would just read over the caresheets, make sure you have the proper set-up. My temps were a little low at first and he refused to eat. And they are rear-fanged venomous, but very mildly. Just another thing to keep in mind :) He is one of my favorite snakes though. He has the best personality :D

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The effects of it are usually swelling, nothing too bad. Here's a site that shows the worst bite thats been documented (and done on purpose). http://www.herpnet.net/bite/ The guy let the snake chew for about 5 minutes. Not the smartest thing to do :wink: And unless you have an anaphylactic reaction to it, like some people do to bee stings and tarantula venom, swelling would probably be the worst thing to happen. But my guy hasn't shown any aggression at all. And most of the time when they do act aggressive it's usually just a bluff. Look them up on youtube. Some of the videos are so funny :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom