My Salad Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phurba390

Hey everyone,

I realize most of you here are pretty pro when it comes to BD care, but there are bound to be some new people with questions about what to feed their babies, salad-wise. I'm also part of several facebook groups with lots of people asking about what greens to feed them. So, I thought I'd post my salad recipe for these folks.

First thing's first, familiarize yourself with this PDF and download it:

http://www.greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf

If you ever come across something interesting at the grocery store and think "I wonder if my BD could have this", look at this list.

Now, onto my recipe...

Greens
Collard Greens
Mustard Greens
Dandelion Greens
Turnip Greens
Escarole
Endive
Kale

Vegetables
Red Bell Pepper
Wheat Grass
Alfalfa Sprouts
Spaghetti Squash
Butternut Squash
Carrots (small amount)
Radishes (small amount)

Fruits (small amounts)
Papaya (best/staple fruit)
Apple
Navel Orange
Pineapple
Nectarine
Cranberries
Blackberries
Blueberries

There are many more ingredients you can use (check the PDF), but I have listed what I feel are the best and give enough options that everyone can find what they need regardless of how well or how bad your local market stocks produce.

I also make sure I only buy organic. I would rather not take the chance on feeding my baby pesticides or other potentially harmful chemicals.

What I do is choose 3 greens first. I always use Collard greens, but I will switch up the other two. Most of the time I will use Dandelion and Mustard, but I also use Kale and Escarole sometimes.

Then, I will choose 2 vegies, usually 2 red bell peppers and a whole spaghetti squash. Be careful cutting open the squash because it has a very touch skin and your knife can slip. Make sure to peel off ALL the skin and don't use the gooey stuff on the inside. You can use a cheese grater to cut up the squash properly after peeling it.

I will use one fruit in my salad, and I always use papaya. Unlike most fruit, which is really only good as an occasional treat for them, papayas are very healthy and they go crazy for them. This helps a lot with beardies who refuse to eat salad at first.

Once I have my 3 greens, 2 veg, and 1 fruit, I wash them really good and dry them out with paper towels. I will then put everything except the papaya and squash into a food processor. This makes sure everything is cut up small enough to prevent choking or impaction, but not so small as to make it like sand or powder. I then peel the skin off the papaya and chop it up. I will keep it in a separate container so the juices don't make the salad soggy. This is very important since too much moisture will make it go bad quick.

When everything is all chopped up and mixed, I sprinkle multivitamin powder and calcium with D3 powder on top. I mix everything up really well, then repeat once more.

Store your salad in a big tupperware container in the fridge and it should last you about 2 weeks. I have 2 beardies and a dubia colony that eat it. I usually only have a little bit left over that is wasted, but for the most part it is worth it.

There are many ways to make your salads, and I don't claim mine is the "best", it's just the best way for me. I'm a fairly lazy guy so only having to do this twice a month is a bonus, plus this makes sure they get the variety of nutrients they need to grow large and healthy.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for posting this. It's good to have another source to reference when it comes to nutrition.

Radict

What does CA:p stand for in the pdf?

I just downloaded the pdf to my phone for quick access while out and about! Thanks for this handy document.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom