My new baby beardie Doris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shojo

Hello,
I just got my beardie a week ago and they seem to be adjusting well. He’s active nibbles on his salad and take sips from his water. I waited 6 days before picking him up and it was successful after initial fear he relaxed in my palm and almost ate a mealy worm from me. I did notice that when he stuck his tongue out it was quite yellow ! This surprised me I had read they should be a pinkish reddish hue. I would like some advice on if this is normal or if I should be concerned. I am going to start him on crickets and dubia roaches this week. I have been using reptivite and repticalcium in his salads as he was adjusting to his new enclosure. I have a 20 gallon tank as he his about a month old. Please ignore the thermometer it was a temporary means while my tank humidity/thermometer arrived. I have a heat gun to check and his basking log is the right temp as well.
I would just like some advice and tips and if anyone knows about his yellow tongue and if I should be concerned or not ! Thank you

Attachments

• 66D74FFF-E350-4732-AD68-045C202EC0ED.jpeg
    66D74FFF-E350-4732-AD68-045C202EC0ED.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 928AFBAE-815C-48D6-A912-948A128DDCE2.jpeg
    928AFBAE-815C-48D6-A912-948A128DDCE2.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 151

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello,
I just got my beardie a week ago and they seem to be adjusting well. He’s active nibbles on his salad and take sips from his water. I waited 6 days before picking him up and it was successful after initial fear he relaxed in my palm and almost ate a mealy worm from me. I did notice that when he stuck his tongue out it was quite yellow ! This surprised me I had read they should be a pinkish reddish hue. I would like some advice on if this is normal or if I should be concerned. I am going to start him on crickets and dubia roaches this week. I have been using reptivite and repticalcium in his salads as he was adjusting to his new enclosure. I have a 20 gallon tank as he his about a month old. Please ignore the thermometer it was a temporary means while my tank humidity/thermometer arrived. I have a heat gun to check and his basking log is the right temp as well.
I would just like some advice and tips and if anyone knows about his yellow tongue and if I should be concerned or not ! Thank you
Welcome to the forum
Not sure about the yellow tongue your asking about we can get some others on this topic to respond---- but you need to start feeding your dragon now I would recommend the roaches-- crickets are a dirty feeder and a hassle ---- the 20 gallon tank is good for now but your going to need to upgrade him here w/ in the next few months by the time hes around 5 months to a 75-120 gallon tank along w / the coil UVB your using of which I recommend getting rid of it now -- they are a terrible UVB and cause all kinds of health issues --- for your 20 gallon tank I recommend a Zoo Med 24" fixture you can use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ this fixture - it will need to be unobstructed NO screen and your basking decor piece would need to be directly underneath approx 6-8 inches here is a website to get this --- also it will go right in to the bigger tank you get and you would need to get a stronger bulb for it replacing the 5.0 -- I can help w/ that but for now we need to get what your using fixed
please get 2 digital probe thermometers one for the basking side and one for the cool side of the tank
your basking temps need to be 105-110 surface temps not air or ambient temps - place the probe on the spot where he sits to bask 10 min then get the temp 10 min or so you dont need to leave the probe there spot check every so often
your UVB and basking temps are EXTREMELY important for the overall health and behavior of the dragon - if they are incorrect he will stop eating all together --- the tank looks nice but the carpet in there is going to harbor your bugs -- crickets especially they will hide in there I recommend cutting that carpet to the size of the tank or pull it and use paper towels for now --- I have some substrate you can use for your bigger tank - or you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner now for the 20 gallon cut it to the size of the tank and clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50 - the insects cannot get underneath it --- you dont want the crickets left in the tank they can come out at nite and bite your baby and that could cause infection -- the heat gun is good but it will not read off a hammock and certain materials that is why I recommended the digital probes they are more accurate -- the calcium needs to go on the insects lightly coated 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and the vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated --- you want to dust the insects as you know hes going to eat them --- salads should be fed every day
Nutrition Content ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
www.dubiaroaches.com great roaches and horn worms - they grow fast order small amounts and they are a good hydrating worm - small super worms fed on the salads 1-3 every other day -- they are a treat worm and good lures to the salad bowl https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
I recommend a digital probe thermometer Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer place the probe on the back center wall of the tank it will read the whole tank optimal humidity 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70%
here is a pic of my 20 gallon when I had it set up you can use it for reference -- the UVB is in the center of the tank going width wise the basking bulb is clamped on the end and the light hanging over is a CHE ignore that
I am going to have AHBD respond to the yellow tongue question
@AHBD
if you have any more questions please ask

Shojo

Original Poster
Welcome to the forum
Not sure about the yellow tongue your asking about we can get some others on this topic to respond---- but you need to start feeding your dragon now I would recommend the roaches-- crickets are a dirty feeder and a hassle ---- the 20 gallon tank is good for now but your going to need to upgrade him here w/ in the next few months by the time hes around 5 months to a 75-120 gallon tank along w / the coil UVB your using of which I recommend getting rid of it now -- they are a terrible UVB and cause all kinds of health issues --- for your 20 gallon tank I recommend a Zoo Med 24" fixture you can use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ this fixture - it will need to be unobstructed NO screen and your basking decor piece would need to be directly underneath approx 6-8 inches here is a website to get this --- also it will go right in to the bigger tank you get and you would need to get a stronger bulb for it replacing the 5.0 -- I can help w/ that but for now we need to get what your using fixed
please get 2 digital probe thermometers one for the basking side and one for the cool side of the tank
your basking temps need to be 105-110 surface temps not air or ambient temps - place the probe on the spot where he sits to bask 10 min then get the temp 10 min or so you dont need to leave the probe there spot check every so often
your UVB and basking temps are EXTREMELY important for the overall health and behavior of the dragon - if they are incorrect he will stop eating all together --- the tank looks nice but the carpet in there is going to harbor your bugs -- crickets especially they will hide in there I recommend cutting that carpet to the size of the tank or pull it and use paper towels for now --- I have some substrate you can use for your bigger tank - or you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner now for the 20 gallon cut it to the size of the tank and clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50 - the insects cannot get underneath it --- you dont want the crickets left in the tank they can come out at nite and bite your baby and that could cause infection -- the heat gun is good but it will not read off a hammock and certain materials that is why I recommended the digital probes they are more accurate -- the calcium needs to go on the insects lightly coated 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and the vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated --- you want to dust the insects as you know hes going to eat them --- salads should be fed every day
Nutrition Content ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
www.dubiaroaches.com great roaches and horn worms - they grow fast order small amounts and they are a good hydrating worm - small super worms fed on the salads 1-3 every other day -- they are a treat worm and good lures to the salad bowl https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
I recommend a digital probe thermometer Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer place the probe on the back center wall of the tank it will read the whole tank optimal humidity 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70%
here is a pic of my 20 gallon when I had it set up you can use it for reference -- the UVB is in the center of the tank going width wise the basking bulb is clamped on the end and the light hanging over is a CHE ignore that
I am going to have AHBD respond to the yellow tongue question
@AHBD
if you have any more questions please ask
Thank you so much for your advice ! I have bought a new light the one you suggested has been great! He’s started his feeding I bought some crickets but I have mostly dubia roaches for him to eat and he loves them! Eating between 15-25 roaches a day. He’s started shedding so eating less the past few days. I bought the better temperature and humidity gauges he seems to be really happy.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you so much for your advice ! I have bought a new light the one you suggested has been great! He’s started his feeding I bought some crickets but I have mostly dubia roaches for him to eat and he loves them! Eating between 15-25 roaches a day. He’s started shedding so eating less the past few days. I bought the better temperature and humidity gauges he seems to be really happy.
Great to hear did you get your uvb correctly placed? The roaches are a great staple are you feeding salads too?

Shojo

Original Poster
Great to hear did you get your uvb correctly placed? The roaches are a great staple are you feeding salads too?
Yes I’ve been feeding him collard greens most days with alternating add ins like cactus carrots. on the rare side red cabbage because he loves it, apples some banana. I hooked the uvb light inside using zip ties so it’s closer to him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I’ve been feeding him collard greens most days with alternating add ins like cactus carrots. on the rare side red cabbage because he loves it, apples some banana. I hooked the uvb light inside using zip ties so it’s closer to him.
And your using the 5.0 bulb or a T 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom