My male bearded dragon has a black beard and throw up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swilson

When I got up this morning I noticed my beardie had a dark black beard but he sometimes gets that because he can see my other beardie but I covered that up and went on with my day. I checked on him hours later and he was still very black so as I was reading why that might be he got up and went to his food bowl I thought he was eating but then he throw up. I quickly cleaned it up and put him in the bath he seems to be looking better but can anyone tell me what happened?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It is hard to say ---- did he eat something that was too big for him --- what are your basking temps and how are you taking them? What UVB are you using brand and bulb where in the tank is it? The dragon might be stressed from seeing the other dragon -- I would either move the tank so he is out of eyesight of the other one put them side by side w/ sides covered so they cant see one another -- then see if he continues to throw up ---
Karrie

Swilson

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ut6mek1u said:
It is hard to say ---- did he eat something that was too big for him --- what are your basking temps and how are you taking them? What UVB are you using brand and bulb where in the tank is it? The dragon might be stressed from seeing the other dragon -- I would either move the tank so he is out of eyesight of the other one put them side by side w/ sides covered so they cant see one another -- then see if he continues to throw up ---
Karrie
He might have I’ll cut his food up more tomorrow. Basking temps are just under 100 degrees F and with a temperature gage on the side of my cage a zoo med on the side he bask and an exo terra on his cool side. The other dragon was moved out off site and on the topic of stress I re arranged his cage yesterday. Could that be the cause? And if so why didn’t it affect my other dragon when I did his cage.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Stress can cause upset stomach - the gauge your using is a stick on? They are inaccurate you need a digital probe thermometer to get an accurate basking temp- your getting an ambient temp--- you can get them from petco or PetSmart for around $6-- I would invest in two of them one for each side of tank - you need to take the probe set it on his basking spot where he sits for 10 minutes---- what are you using for your UVB? Brand and bulb coil or tube?
Karrie

Swilson

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2gfef8jh said:
Stress can cause upset stomach - the gauge your using is a stick on? They are inaccurate you need a digital probe thermometer to get an accurate basking temp- your getting an ambient temp--- you can get them from petco or PetSmart for around $6-- I would invest in two of them one for each side of tank - you need to take the probe set it on his basking spot where he sits for 10 minutes---- what are you using for your UVB? Brand and bulb coil or tube?
Karrie
I will pick those up. I believe that one is zoo med and it is a coil and the other one is just a exo terra low energy lighting device

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok you need to get rid of the coil+- its one if the worst UVB's-- what size is your tank? Coils are ok for smaller tanks like 20 gallon or less but even then I would not use them - if he's in a tank that is 40 gallon or bigger he basically is getting NO UVB- please replace w/ a 24" fixture w/ a reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- they are one of the best on the market--- if you need help finding one I can send you to a website to order--- but you need to get this replaced ASAP--
Karrie

Swilson

Original Poster
KarrieRee":332m7da1 said:
Ok you need to get rid of the coil+- its one if the worst UVB's-- what size is your tank? Coils are ok for smaller tanks like 20 gallon or less but even then I would not use them - if he's in a tank that is 40 gallon or bigger he basically is getting NO UVB- please replace w/ a 24" fixture w/ a reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- they are one of the best on the market--- if you need help finding one I can send you to a website to order--- but you need to get this replaced ASAP--
Karrie
He is in a 40 and I have the light you mention for my other dragon so I will get one for him

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good-- the one you are using is it inside the tank or on top of screen? Placement and distance is key for best effects-
Karrie

Swilson

Original Poster
KarrieRee":rb3wfmc1 said:
Ok good-- the one you are using is it inside the tank or on top of screen? Placement and distance is key for best effects-
Karrie
It is on top of the screen

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok and your basking decor should be 8-10 inches directly underneath-
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the spot now is 8-10? The screen is filtering out 30% of those rays that's why it needs that distance- so w/ lighting in place and good basking temps let's see what he does w/ the black beard and the throwing up stops- if it does not fix the problem he would need to see the vet-- low energy lighting device? Is that a bright white basking bulb ?
Karrie

Swilson

Original Poster
KarrieRee":32j8hg12 said:
Ok so the spot now is 8-10? The screen is filtering out 30% of those rays that's why it needs that distance- so w/ lighting in place and good basking temps let's see what he does w/ the black beard and the throwing up stops- if it does not fix the problem he would need to see the vet-- low energy lighting device? Is that a bright white basking bulb ?
Karrie
Yes the highest point is 8 in. And the lowest is 10 in. And after talking to you I learned that the low energy device does nothing for him.

Swilson

Original Poster
KarrieRee":24fu0m96 said:
What does that mean? Nothing for him!
Karrie
Yes but I have one other one on him and will probably be getting the light you recommend tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom