My first post intro and a uv lighting question/advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chef

Hi everyone, this is my first post to say hi to all you great knowledgable like minded folks.. and to get some reasurance on this tricky subject of uv lighting..

Ok i have done plenty of reasearch on this topic but just wanted to run it buy you peep's to check im getting the right kit.

I need to buy a new uv tube as my current one is the dreaded repti-glo 10 uvb!

Now after searching around im thinking im best going for a zoo med reptisun 10 ubv tube, and most people seem to think its best to have a normal household tube next to the uvb tube.

So im thinking i must buy a double uv light starter kit.
exo terra do a double starter unit, would this be ok?

Then my next question what wattage household tube light would i need to get to run along side this repti-sun uvb tube and would the fittings on the exo terra starter unit fite both the tube lights?

My viv is 46" wide by 18" high and 15" deep..

Can anyone recommend the best place online to buy all these items at a good price? and if anyone recommends any other products?

These are the items i think i need:

Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB Lamp 25 Watt 36 Inches
Exo Terra Fluorescent Light Controller Light Unit T8 2x30 watt
and then the approiate "normal" tube light, not sure What wattage??

Thanks again..

P.s 3 weeks ago i bought my first reptile, a hypomelanstic citrus bearded dragon, he was 6 weeks old when i bought him..
The repti-glo tube has been in his viv since i first brought him home, but its only this last week that he seems to have started closing his eyes a lot, and hes not eating as much as he first did.. he only eats about 3-5 locus/crickets a day, whereas he was eating 9-10 in the first few weeks that i had him.. Here are some pics of my pretty baby bd..
DSC_0414.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0421.jpg

DSC_0388.jpg

LJean

Extreme Poster
Hello and welcome!

Your beardie has some nice colors. A cute one!

The thing is to use a bright white light next to the uvb light to help protect the beardies eyes from the light.

You will need a heat bulb. If you use a regular household bulb (not the energy efficient ones) or a bright white light and place it near the UVB tube, over the basking spot, you should be ok.
You can find the fixtures for these lights in stores like Wal-mart, Lowes, Home Depot or hardware stores. (not sure where you are located)

Even if you use two flourescent bulbs you can still buy the fixtures these stores. Saves you a bit of money. Just remove any plastic covers for the uvb light. But a flourescent bulb won't produce enough heat for basking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom