my feeder suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Well for those of you that remember my thread where I received a large colony of hisser adults this is a piggy back on it. For those of you who do not remember the post here is the link http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=125843&p=1009194&hilit=+hisser#p1009194.

I am posting this as a suggestion to anyone that keeps multiple bug eaters, especially smaller ones like geckos, young beardies, and adult beardies.

My colony of hissers exploded some time ago. I had actually contemplated shutting them down cause I didn't really like them. But instead I decided to wait until after my hatchlings were born and see how they liked the nymphs. This season I hatched out 38 dragons, all of which are still living in my home as they are not old enough to start leaving yet. I have been fully sustaining all of those hatchlings on my hisser colony and have not even put a dent in the amount of babies in the colony.

Now yes with hissers there are precautions you should take. Madagascar hissing cockroaches are excellent climbers so you have to take multiple precautions to keep them in the tank. I have vaseline around the top 5 inches of their container, a locking lid, and double sided tape on the outside to catch anyone that makes it past the first 2 steps (haven't had any escape yet knock on wood). They will need a large container to be kept in as the males are territorial and will "battle" each other for territory (<<<<<very interesting to watch). The females only give birth every 2 months but they give birth to large numbers, highest count I have had from a female so far was 85 babies in one laying. They give birth in the same fashion that dubia do. The stages of life for hissers are a bit longer than they are with dubia (it takes a good bit longer to reach adulthood), but their life span has been recorded at upwards of 5 years.

I keep dubia as well and I love them but with how prolific the hissers are they have taken top dog in my opinion. For those that have "larger" collections that this "cricket scare" is really affecting, look into starting a colony of hissers. You will not be dissapointed.

invictusrules

Juvie Member
I've kept a colony of pet hissers for years. They've had a few babies occasionally, enough to keep the colony going, but not enough to overrun the tank. Then I fed them cantaloupe. Within two weeks, ALL the females had the max number of babies. OMG. :shock: There are babies everywhere. Had to set up another tank. Then I see another female "airing" her laundry. I'll have to get over my "they're too cute to feed to Invictus" or the sheer biomass is going to overrun the entire house in a few months!!!!!

No more cantaloupe. Nope.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
You think they are producing now. give em a hot spot of mid to high 90s and ambient of around 85-88 and watch what happens. I started with 300 adults and now I have upwards of 5000 in different stages. And thats just in 5 months.

invictusrules

Juvie Member
:laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:
Thanks for the warning! I mean, advice. <moves hissers closer to air conditioning vent; hears HISSSSSS>

Grimleo

Juvie Member
Great suggestion, thanks! But I have read much about hissers being built like "tanks" and their shell is wayy too hard for a beardie to eat? Maybe it's just a bit tougher to get down? Any problems(ever) with feeding just hissers? If not, then I might grab a few more than I already have and start a hissing colony :D

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Its the adults that are super tough. All stages of the nymphs are perfect feeders and honestly feel more pliable to me than dubia nymphs.

invictusrules

Juvie Member
All stages of the nymphs are perfect feeders and honestly feel more pliable to me than dubia nymphs.
This is what I love about this forum. We can discuss things like pliability of roaches, and no one judges us.

Virus

Hatchling Member
Oh, I judge. I judge.

But really, I'm going to have to look into hissers now. I assume they hate light just as well? Also, are there any particular places you prefer to get hissers from?

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Virus":3n3d9j4m said:
Oh, I judge. I judge.

But really, I'm going to have to look into hissers now. I assume they hate light just as well? Also, are there any particular places you prefer to get hissers from?
I purchased mine from a fellow breeder that needed to thin out what he had as these things breed quick and can quickly outnumber what you need lol.

Just keep an eye out on places like fauna periodically people thin out colonies and you can catch a good deal. if you do not want to wait it out you can check places like
http://www.aaronpauling.com/catalog/climbing-roaches (this is the only one on this list that I have ever purchased from and he has a great reputation)
http://www.kenthebugguy.com/index.php?cPath=31&osCsid=e8b9e3c9e965c245393a6fe9c485942a
http://www.happyhissers.com/
http://www.joshsfrogs.com/product/1734/145/madagascar-hissing-cockroach-pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexreynolds
Top Bottom