My Dragon is not eating... he looks extremely thin. Help ple

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayjayzdad

Ok so I bought this Dragon About 2 weeks ago on the internet at a site called Caliente Dragons. When the Dragon arrived he was a little but when I would put crickets in the tank he would eat a couple and jump on top of his Basking rock. Then after about 3 days he stopped eating little by little and now he is completely not eating at all. He looks so thin that his stomach pretty much looks flat. I'm now trying something I got at petland discount called Jump-start but he won't eat it and he runs away whenever I try to give it to him. This is my first dragon but I did alot of research and I'm pretty sure I have everything set up the way its supposed to be.

30 gallon tank
100w daylight bulb-gets one side of tank about 105%
reptiglo 5.0
rep-cal for dusting crickets
play sand as substrate
basking rock
special water bowl that bubbles
bottle for spraying water

The Dragon is 3 months old and about 8" long. I can't find any Vets that take reptiles in my area, i'm in Brooklyn N.Y.
Any advice will be extremely appreciated. Thanks you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your setup doesn't sound too bad. The Reptiglo 5 however, is not sufficient enough to give adequate UVB exposure so he wont be able to absorb calcium properly. The Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb would be a better choice on UVB lighting. You can buy that from http://www.petmountain.com for the best price around online.
How often do you supplement calcium? The repcal is fine, & he needs calcium 5 times per week.
What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temps, a stick on type of thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun? Where is the thermometer placed, right underneath the basking light?
Do you have the basking light placed directly beside the UVB light on one end?
How often has he gone to the bathroom?

Tracie

kayjayzdad

Original Poster
kayjayzdad":1514b said:
Ok so I bought this Dragon About 2 weeks ago on the internet at a site called Caliente Dragons. When the Dragon arrived he was a little but when I would put crickets in the tank he would eat a couple and jump on top of his Basking rock. Then after about 3 days he stopped eating little by little and now he is completely not eating at all. He looks so thin that his stomach pretty much looks flat. I'm now trying something I got at petland discount called Jump-start but he won't eat it and he runs away whenever I try to give it to him. This is my first dragon but I did alot of research and I'm pretty sure I have everything set up the way its supposed to be.

30 gallon tank
100w daylight bulb-gets one side of tank about 105%
reptiglo 5.0
rep-cal for dusting crickets
play sand as substrate
basking rock
special water bowl that bubbles
bottle for spraying water

The Dragon is 3 months old and about 8" long. I can't find any Vets that take reptiles in my area, i'm in Brooklyn N.Y.
Any advice will be extremely appreciated. Thanks you.

Exo terra stick on thermometer placed inside and outside on the side the heat lamps are on top of tank. Yes the reptiglo and heat lamp are side by side. And he has been using the bathroom just about everyday since he came.

Menolly

Juvie Member
Hey,
How is your beardie doing? Is he still not eating? Do you try to give him veggies, and if so what kind?
At the moment I would suggest switching your sand out with paper towels. It doesn't look very glamorous, but sand can do some serious harm in some cases. Has he still been going to the bathroom everyday? Do you see any lumps on his back or near his abdomen?
Mel

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
the stick on therms can really be inaccurate. i know diamic has a picture of the accurite probe you can buy at walmart for $12

kayjayzdad

Original Poster
Yes, I took him to the Vet this past Monday and the Doctor de-wormed him gave him some vitamins and gave him an injection to use the bathroom. He looked alot better on tuesday but he still was not eating much. She also gave me a syringe tube to feed him baby food mixed with vitamins, so I guess even if I have to feed him myself he will eat, I just hope he starts eating on his own soon. I guess time will tell how things go. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom