My beardies won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vita

Okay I have had puff and scamp (3 years old) since the beginning of December. They didn't move around a lot when I first got them but soon adjusted and began to be very active all throughout the day. Now neither one will eat crickets, superworms, their salad, nothing. The girl who gave them to us had in a 5 UVB and 110 watt for basking. I heard you are suppose to change the UVB bulb every six months so I went to the local pet store and asked what is the best and she said to keep the 5 UVB because they are use to it. Ever since I changed the bulb....nothing. They sleep and won't eat. Please any suggestions?

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Hello :). Change the UVB to the reptisun 10.0 tube bulb. It has more UVB them the 5.0. Make sure it is mounted inside the tank.
Can you answer these questions

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)?
How long are lights on each day?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
What is the night time temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bathe your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

Vita

Original Poster
There are two
male, scamp, appr 3 years 18 1/2
female, puff, 3 years, 18 1/4
They live together since babies in 90 gallon
Retiglo 5.0 UVB fluorescent tube mounted inside they can get within 2 inches.
Basking light 150 by flukers white within 6 inches of reach.
Lights on 12 hours and off 12 hours.
No night time heat stays at appr 75 at night.
No heated rocks or mats (I was told they can burn them)
Daytime cool side 80 warm side 100 basking spot between 105-110
Temps taken with a probe. Cool side warm side also have stick on.
I take the basking temp just above rock they lay on for their sun.
Substrate is sand bought from hardware store for child playground.

I feed them gut loaded crickets (squash, sweet potatoes, greens etc. to gut load)
Superworms gut loaded (same as crickets for gut loading)
Salad everyday (collards, mustard greens, dandelion greens, endive, bell peppers, squash, asparagus, cactus pad)
Occasionally, fruits (blackberries, banana, apple, mango)
Other occasional, carrots shredded cilantro, mint, papaya, carnations.
I feed in the morning everyday around 7am.
I only feed them what is okay according to the book Bearded Dragon written by Thomas Mazorlig animal planet.
Calcium 3 times a week. I use calcium carbonate ground up into a powder.
They poop when they eat usually within a day, but haven't recently since they haven't been eating.
I give them a bath 3 times a week. Warm water. For about 20 minutes
Water dish inside enclosure also but I have never seen them drink from it.
When I can't for some reason give them there bath I do mist them. They lick the water off each other when I do that.
I have not taken to vet yet. Their poop looks normal according to what I have read on this site. Never runny, like minature dog poop but a tad slimy with the white (urine) almost always.
One other thing is the male is longer but much smaller than the female. He seems too thin and she seems a bit on the plump side. I think he is sand fire and she looks like a normal variety but with a big head and big sacs on the side in comparison to the male.

Thank you for taking the time. I haven't had them long but I already love the little suckers. I have done a ton of research (a lot here on this site) and I hope I am doing everything right.

Vita

Original Poster
I ordered the reptisun 10.0 it will be here tomorrow. Now is the exo terro digital combination thermometer better. I can order that too

brittani299

Extreme Poster
The UVB could be the main problem right now. Reptisun 10.0 is one of the only good ones. Make sure it gets mounted inside the tank. I would get rid of the sand. It can cause impaction and can harbor bacteria. You can use reptile carpeting, newspaper, paper towels, or tiles. Even though they have been housed together for a while I would separate them. Bearded dragons aren't social animals. They can very easily hurt each other. I have read posts on here of people having them housed forever and then one day them attacked each other and got hurt. You can keep the same tank just add a barrier of some kind.

Vita

Original Poster
Thanks so much. I will get small tile in there this weekend, and the new light is on its way. I appreciate your help!!!

Vita

Original Poster
Brittani299 or anyone,
I changed the light to the reptisun 10.0 and still no change. Not eating, and not moving around a lot. Do you know if when they go into burmation do they act like this. I read that they don't necessarily go into a deep sleep but can sometimes quit eating and be lethargic. What is your experience? Any help would be appreciated.
Vita

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Your beardie is old enough to brumate that is probably what is going on. I will add a link to an article about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom