My beardie won't eat much all of a sudden

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMB

Hi there :)

We have two bearded dragons, both are approx. 11 months old.

This one has always grown way ahead of the other one and is now about 50cm in lenght and weighs 565 grams. Looks like they've evened out over the last few months because the other one is 45cm/435 grams.

Anyway back to my question.

The beardie used to love superworms, dubia and crickets. Like really DEVOUR them every time he was offered. Maybe that's why he grew so fast, I don't know. None of them were ever interested in greens except for fresh salad which they've always eaten quite alot of. Now the last ~3 months, his appetite for salad and insects has disappeared. Closes his eyes when offered. The only thing he will eat is a smoothie made from kale and carrots which he really loves. He used to poop every other day but now we haven't seen a poop in a few weeks (maybe because he's not eating?).

A few weeks ago he started going into his little cave to sleep during the day. We thought maybe it was the start of his first brumation so we turned off his lights etc. and he slept for maybe 3-4 days then he came out again and acted "normal". Now, he will go to the cave to day-sleep about every other day or so. When he is out of the cave, he is acting normal (except for not eating/pooping) and he is not afraid to be handled or taken out of the enclosure.

We give him regular baths and he has a lot of UV lighting all over the enclosure as well as a nice basking spot (which he uses alot).

He has lost a little weight, but not alot (again; because of not eating?).

He doesn't look sick or anything, he looks exactly like he always has.

We are starting to get worried, but then again we think maybe it's a sort of brumation because everywhere we read about this is says that when (semi?)brumating they will not eat or poop.

Does anyone have any tips or input? I can post more information and/or pictures if needed.

Thanks

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. If they are housed together they need to be separated. The one that is bigger is dominant. I'm sure once you separate he'll get his appetite back.

TMB

Original Poster
Sorry, I forgot to mention that they're in seperate terrariums and they can't see each other!

Arkaikk

Hey, just wondering if you ever found a solution? Going through this right now with my ~8 month old beardie right now. Not sure what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom