My beardie looks Bored!l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my beardie is a young male, very healthy, eats well and all that... the problem is, he just looks abit bored sometimes!
He has a good basking spot, food and water bowl, different levels to climb on and a branch or two for him to go along. We are moving him to a bigger tank now he's starting to grow, and we try to handle him as much as we can (at least twice a day for a while). Does anyone have any tricks to keeping them entertained just for when I go out.

Any advice please!!!!

jsnsan

Juvie Member
Young beardies typically do three things.... Eat, Poop, and Bask.
As they get older, I'm told they will start moving around more in their tank.

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
I have heard people say that beardies are facinated by watching the fish swim around in an aquarium!

I don't know if that's something you'd want to do, but your beardie might find them entertaining!

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Increasing the cage size and switching up the decor in the cage can often be good ways to offer your bearded dragon some enrichment.

Another method is to change the way you offer food. For example, something like this: http://youtu.be/hwJFTmbjPaY, a Feeding Rock that slowly distributes crickets, can be a way to slowly offer food throughout the day, keeping your beardie entertained.

ZooMed also makes a mealworm cup that slowly trickles out feeders as well, if you want to check that out.

Most forms of environmental enrichment are based around food, so consider ways to offer food more slowly or in creative ways. You could add cat grass to the cage for your beardie to graze on, or use magnets to hang leaves of lettuce up on the sides of the cage for him to try and eat.

Hope that helps!

-Jen

Tonja

BD.org Addict
when Geico looks bored I hang some all natural bird toys from his screen. He loves playing with the little bell and rope toys to climb..I dont leave them in but a couple of hours and he doesnt get them all the time. Its more like a toy treat for him to have them for a few hours every week or so.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
LLLReptile":1xw6qmhi said:
Increasing the cage size and switching up the decor in the cage can often be good ways to offer your bearded dragon some enrichment.

Another method is to change the way you offer food. For example, something like this: http://youtu.be/hwJFTmbjPaY, a Feeding Rock that slowly distributes crickets, can be a way to slowly offer food throughout the day, keeping your beardie entertained.

ZooMed also makes a mealworm cup that slowly trickles out feeders as well, if you want to check that out.

Most forms of environmental enrichment are based around food, so consider ways to offer food more slowly or in creative ways. You could add cat grass to the cage for your beardie to graze on, or use magnets to hang leaves of lettuce up on the sides of the cage for him to try and eat.

Hope that helps!

-Jen
these are fantastic.
i have the mealworm dish. i put supers in there for Mr Dargon. They can climb out, but not super fast. that helps with slower feeding.

if your don't want to pay for the feeding rock you can always try to make one yourself. there are DIY play dough recipes that would work just fine. and you can make the hole bigger for roaches.

Mr Dargon LOVES to watch outside. he always looks fascinated.

they also love to explore, so if you can take them out at all and let them run on the couch for a while that can help too.

ZoeAntrobus1

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your help :)
We have made archie a new tank to suit what he likes doing and I have brought a cricket feeder rock on your advice :)
Take a look at my newest post "Archie and his new home pictures!" to see how we've set it up for him to have lots of different levels and climbing spots

chantaldragon

bearded dragons do get bored like humans too i know this because when ever in away from my dragons for like a day he will look at me untill i engknolage him, he somtimes even scratches at the glass this how ever doesnt mean he wants out he just wants to be looked at and played with.

main point they get bored on your free time play with him threw the glass or if you have 10 mins pick him up and play with them.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
I let mine venture out of his tank I am saving to buy a bigger tank but he
is usually outside his tank for a while. He is only in his tank to eat and sleep
and warm up..xD
Other than that he's outside either getting a bath or just running around the house
chasing my cats and dogs.

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
Since my bd likes to look outside I am trying to figure out a way to make a small set up that will sit in front of the window,have heat and keep the cat out. HMMMM
Just a thought for you as well.

LadyMeridius

Hatchling Member
LLLReptile":3665vqgz said:
You could add cat grass to the cage for your beardie to graze on,
-Jen

Just what I wanted to hear! Ive been growing my cat grass by Fluffy's tank, and she has been very interested in it. She seems to like watching its progress. We were pondering today if she could have it. I have extra kits and now she can have her own!

*excited*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom