My beardie likes to be cold at night?

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Does anyone know why my beardie might do this. Of course he basks durning the day and runs around. But for whatever reason at night he always runs over to his water bowl puts his tail in it and sleeps vertically against the glass in the corner of his tank, on the opposite side of his tank, I’ll pick him up and put him in his basking spot and 5 mins later he’s back at the water bowl with his tail/butt in it, only at night, never during the day and I check the temp I know it’s not to hot. And I know he likes the hammock he lays on it during the day.

Attachments

• 0D80272C-6C8C-4B20-A563-019A7CAC238C.jpeg
    0D80272C-6C8C-4B20-A563-019A7CAC238C.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Does anyone know why my beardie might do this. Of course he basks durning the day and runs around. But for whatever reason at night he always runs over to his water bowl puts his tail in it and sleeps vertically against the glass in the corner of his tank, on the opposite side of his tank, I’ll pick him up and put him in his basking spot and 5 mins later he’s back at the water bowl with his tail/butt in it, only at night, never during the day and I check the temp I know it’s not to hot. And I know he likes the hammock he lays on it during the day.
Dragons like cool and dark and unless hes actually drinking from the water bowl I would take it out-night time temps in the tank should be 65-75-- what size tank is he in? I see all domes in the tank -- are you using a coil UVB ? If so it needs to be replaced w/ a long tube fixture like a 24" Zoo Med this fixture is good for a smaller tank till you upgrade to a larger one the bulb that comes w/ this one is a 5.0 good for 20 gallon tanks if its a 40 gallon you will need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb --- coil UVB's are a health hazzard and will cause all kinds of health issues and if not corrected possible death- I see stickons for temp gauges -- please get 2 digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps - 105-110 for a baby --- please do this right away as his health depends on this it is crucial - if you need more help please ask - when you get the UVB replaced please post back on here I will help you get it set up for your tank -- placement and distance depends on the screen

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Quick idea. You can remove the water dish at night as a safety measure. Put the dish back inside in the morning

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Dragons like cool and dark and unless hes actually drinking from the water bowl I would take it out-night time temps in the tank should be 65-75-- what size tank is he in? I see all domes in the tank -- are you using a coil UVB ? If so it needs to be replaced w/ a long tube fixture like a 24" Zoo Med this fixture is good for a smaller tank till you upgrade to a larger one the bulb that comes w/ this one is a 5.0 good for 20 gallon tanks if its a 40 gallon you will need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb --- coil UVB's are a health hazzard and will cause all kinds of health issues and if not corrected possible death- I see stickons for temp gauges -- please get 2 digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps - 105-110 for a baby --- please do this right away as his health depends on this it is crucial - if you need more help please ask - when you get the UVB replaced please post back on here I will help you get it set up for your tank -- placement and distance depends on the screen
I do not have a coil uvb bulb, I also have two thermometers on each side to see the general tank temp on warm and cool side, with that I also have a laser thermometer gun, that I check the temps of every surface in the cage a couple times a day and everything is within what he needs, and this isn’t a tank kit, I’ve bought everything separately and tried all the different wattages and everything to get the perfect temps, and at night he even has the ceramic heat emitter.

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Quick idea. You can remove the water dish at night as a safety measure. Put the dish back inside in the morning
Could him getting to cold in it hurt him? I don’t want to take it out if he enjoys is, as long as it’s not harming him.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I run my che kindda away from where my beardies sleep, they move to the temp they like. My habitats are 4 foot so there is room to create a gradient even at night. I try to keep my ambient temp 70ish over all at night.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Could him getting to cold in it hurt him? I don’t want to take it out if he enjoys is, as long as it’s not harming him.
Being wet that long could be a problem. Easier for any scale rot problems to happen with lots of water exposure. If your temperature is around 65 at night on the cool side that is fine. It does get colder in the wild. Mid 60s is great for night

Like Karrie brought up knowing which UVB light you are using will help us know he is having normal behavior. The right heating, cool to hot gradient, and UVB all affect behavior as well as general health

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom