My Beardie isn't eating well

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my beardie a few days ago, and he won't eat anything other than worms. We've tried many different veggies, a few fruits, crickets, roaches. I've tried hand feeding him, I've tried putting worms in with the veggies, and he just won't eat and doesn't seem interested in anything else besides worms.

Please if you have any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
whats your setup look like ? uvb, temps, be careful with worms especially super or meal worms they can cause impactions I only feed a few supers a week I dont even mess with meal worms. Where did you get the beardie?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I just got my beardie a few days ago, and he won't eat anything other than worms. We've tried many different veggies, a few fruits, crickets, roaches. I've tried hand feeding him, I've tried putting worms in with the veggies, and he just won't eat and doesn't seem interested in anything else besides worms.

Please if you have any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.
What exactly are you using for a UVB? Basking temps how are you taking them they should be surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - these things I just asked about are the most important things in the tank

Wonderland090

Original Poster
whats your setup look like ? uvb, temps, be careful with worms especially super or meal worms they can cause impactions I only feed a few supers a week I dont even mess with meal worms. Where did you get the beardie?
I got him from a shelter, his previous owner raised him from a baby. I have uvb, tempratures are good, the humidity is a little low though. Don't know if its important but he does have a slight case of MBD

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
we need to know what kind of uvb. If your uvb is not adequate and placed properly the dragon wont eat and not thrive

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
My friend (who keeps beardies) recommended me a UVB bulb. Basking temps are within appropriate ranges
Still need the info on the UVB --- if its a coil they are no good and inadequate for a UVB - long tube fixtures w/ the bulbs have certain distance and placement of those bulbs -- please specify so we can help you better

Wonderland090

Original Poster
Still need the info on the UVB --- if its a coil they are no good and inadequate for a UVB - long tube fixtures w/ the bulbs have certain distance and placement of those bulbs -- please specify so we can help you better
It is a coil. I was trying to find the box it came in. But it was a 100w UVB.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Brand is Exo Terra - UVB 100 - 26 watt
Ok if you want to stay w/ the coil I dont recommend it but if you do please get the Reptisun 26 watt its a better bulb than your Exo Terra I am not a fan of coils please get the 26 watt unobstructed w/a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor - if you have the coil on the screen hes getting little to NO UVB hence the cause of not eating --- I can recommend some good UVB fixtures w/ bulbs if you like but your dragon will continue to decline in health w/the bulb your using now ---
The Reptisun 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Karrie is right you need to get a different uvb. the one your using now can also cause issues to the eyes and is more than likely the culprit in the poor appetite id be willing to bet on it the dragon knows its body wont do what is needed with the coil bulb you have

Wonderland090

Original Poster
Karrie is right you need to get a different uvb. the one your using now can also cause issues to the eyes and is more than likely the culprit in the poor appetite id be willing to bet on it the dragon knows its body wont do what is needed with the coil bulb you have
Thank you so much for helping me. Will definitely be looking for a new bulb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom