My beardie is super picky

[Moth]

Beardie name(s)
Dino
Ive had her for around a year now, and she refuses anything that isn't alive, except for the occasional Pea, some blueberries, And on rare occasions, hibiscus flowers. I've tried giving her those little freeze dried vegetable packs that you just soak. In warm water, and ive mixed it with bugs, I've also tried those mash things that have all kinds of vegetables and a few bugs in them, and the only luck i ever get is sneaking a vegetable into her mouth when she's eating a super worm. What can I do to make her eat veggies?

Moxxie1122

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Moxxie
Ive had her for around a year now, and she refuses anything that isn't alive, except for the occasional Pea, some blueberries, And on rare occasions, hibiscus flowers. I've tried giving her those little freeze dried vegetable packs that you just soak. In warm water, and ive mixed it with bugs, I've also tried those mash things that have all kinds of vegetables and a few bugs in them, and the only luck i ever get is sneaking a vegetable into her mouth when she's eating a super worm. What can I do to make her eat veggies?
Have you tried dusting bee pollen on them? I've heard it's like candy for them. do you mist her veggies and have you tried having a few mealworms/BSFL on the top of the salad? it might make her accidentally eat some. How does she do with regular bugs?

[Moth]

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dino
Have you tried dusting bee pollen on them? I've heard it's like candy for them. do you mist her veggies and have you tried having a few mealworms/BSFL on the top of the salad? it might make her accidentally eat some. How does she do with regular bugs?
She'll eat my entire stock of bugs if i allowed her. I have heard of bee pollen, but i haven't been able to get any. I have tried to mix worms and whatnot into her salads, so that she accidentally eats the Vegetables, but when i say she's picky, i mean she will not eat something unless she's 100% sure its a bug. I've actually found a lot of stray crickets because of how fond of them she is. How would i go about Misting the veggies? The ones ive given her, ive either washed, or are already pretty saturated in water Because of them being freeze dried.

Moxxie1122

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Moxxie
She'll eat my entire stock of bugs if i allowed her. I have heard of bee pollen, but i haven't been able to get any. I have tried to mix worms and whatnot into her salads, so that she accidentally eats the Vegetables, but when i say she's picky, i mean she will not eat something unless she's 100% sure its a bug. I've actually found a lot of stray crickets because of how fond of them she is. How would i go about Misting the veggies? The ones ive given her, ive either washed, or are already pretty saturated in water Because of them being freeze dried.
Okay so at least we know it's not a lighting issue :) I'll see if I can find any good bee pollens as I got 2 more bearded dragons recently and also need some! sounds like she's picky. I'm guessing you've given her freshly cut veggies but if you haven't do that and mist them with like a dollar tree spray bottle. Have you tried switching her veggies to different types? what veggies do you use right now?

[Moth]

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dino
Okay so at least we know it's not a lighting issue :) I'll see if I can find any good bee pollens as I got 2 more bearded dragons recently and also need some! sounds like she's picky. I'm guessing you've given her freshly cut veggies but if you haven't do that and mist them with like a dollar tree spray bottle. Have you tried switching her veggies to different types? what veggies do you use right now?
I've used Carrots and peas mostly, but ive also had mixed up vegetables from the pet store, and they usually have a mix of a bunch of vegetables, some fruits and small grubs(mealworms, bsfl, silkworms, etc.). That's the last thing (vegetable related) i tried to feed her, and she only ate a single pea and some of the live bugs I mixed in myself.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
This is the bee pollen I use but I use the powder. The 1lb bag has lasted me about 4-5 months.

https://www.amazon.com/Alovitox-Granules-Superfood-Antioxidant-Nutritional/dp/B07DTLZGB3

[Moth]

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dino
Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it. Ill try to order a bag of the powder soon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It seems that picky beardies that only want insects outnumber the ones that willingly eat their greens. You can try fresh leafy greens like kale, mustard, collard , arugula and turnip greens. Try hand feeding them to her, also lay off the bugs for a week and then when you drop the greens in she may dive right on them.

[Moth]

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dino
It seems that picky beardies that only want insects outnumber the ones that willingly eat their greens. You can try fresh leafy greens like kale, mustard, collard , arugula and turnip greens. Try hand feeding them to her, also lay off the bugs for a week and then when you drop the greens in she may dive right on them.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom