My beardie is not eating enough and opens his mouth

Vickie1888

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jim (James) Moriarty
We have a 14 ish weeks old baby beardie named Jim. We got him 6 weeks ago and he has never liked us. Any time we'd come to pick him up he'd run away and when he did let us pick him up he'd run away after a few minutes. Other than that he was fine until a week ago when he started refusing to eat more than around 10 crickets a day (on days where he actually eats) and around that same time he started opening his mouth at me when i open his cage. He also hides in his little rock thing alot and scratches the inside. We had a 2 year old beardie that was given to us by extended family before Jim who died of an infection and before dying he would also open his mouth often (not at us) and stopped eating so im really scared that the same thing is happening to Jim. I dont know if any of these things have anything to do with one another but im extreemely worried

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We have a 14 ish weeks old baby beardie named Jim. We got him 6 weeks ago and he has never liked us. Any time we'd come to pick him up he'd run away and when he did let us pick him up he'd run away after a few minutes. Other than that he was fine until a week ago when he started refusing to eat more than around 10 crickets a day (on days where he actually eats) and around that same time he started opening his mouth at me when i open his cage. He also hides in his little rock thing alot and scratches the inside. We had a 2 year old beardie that was given to us by extended family before Jim who died of an infection and before dying he would also open his mouth often (not at us) and stopped eating so im really scared that the same thing is happening to Jim. I dont know if any of these things have anything to do with one another but im extreemely worried
He's going thru relocation stress- please let him adjust to his tank and surroundings - he needs time to acclimate to the tank -- the opening of the mouth could be gaping to adjust temps or he's being defensive - running from you is normal - please order some bsfl and start hand feeding and to start hand taming him- he's going to need to learn to trust- now we need to go over your surface basking temps-- they should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- you need 2 of them - next uvb-- please NO coils- I can post good uvb- fixtures for you there are 3 that are recommended on this forum- if any of this is off it's going to take longer for him to acclimate and his health will decline - his appetite will be off till he gets used to the tank etc - if he stops eating all together there is a problem but you need the temps and uvb on par

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom