My Beardie is 13 yrs old and laying eggs??!!

brandom

This is my first time using a forum, so apologies if this isn't the right place. I have yet to find any answer similar to this online. My bearded dragon is around 12/13 years old. We got her in 2013 when she was already an adult. She has laid eggs for years now, all infertile obviously, but for the past 4 months she has been laying about 5 eggs every couple of weeks. Is it normal for a 12-year-old, probably even older beardie, to be laying eggs? I keep reading that they were supposed to stop at around 4, but she has been laying them every so often for years. She just laid another pile of eggs. This whole period of time she's been eating, moving, and acting completely fine so I don't think anything is bothering her, I just find it odd since she is so old.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, the oldest dragon I've heard of laying eggs was 9-10 year old. 😲 I guess she's fine as you described her so just do whatever you've been doing. At her age she's been thriving so just carry on as usual.

label

Hatchling Member
My 10 year-old southern angle-headed dragon still laid eggs last year. None of them hatched, but I was surprised she'd still be laying.

brandom

Original Poster
This is my first time using a forum, so apologies if this isn't the right place. I have yet to find any answer similar to this online. My bearded dragon is around 12/13 years old. We got her in 2013 when she was already an adult. She has laid eggs for years now, all infertile obviously, but for the past 4 months she has been laying about 5 eggs every couple of weeks. Is it normal for a 12-year-old, probably even older beardie, to be laying eggs? I keep reading that they were supposed to stop at around 4, but she has been laying them every so often for years. She just laid another pile of eggs. This whole period of time she's been eating, moving, and acting completely fine so Omegle - Omegle.com Free Random Video Chat Site I don't think anything is bothering her, I just find it odd since she is so old .
:D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Make sure she has a comfortable place to lay them. At 12 years old she might really only be producing 5 eggs or so, but it's possible she has more and is not laying them all due to not feeling like she has a suitable spot to do so.

Good job on raising a beardie to this age. :)

-Brandon

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
First of all, I feel for you. My 10.5 year old dragon started laying eggs in February and laid every three weeks until June. Her clutches were between 9 and 15. Although, she lost her appetite during this time, and lost a bunch of weight.

My advice to you is to make sure she is getting calcium daily during this time and keep her hydrated. My girl had a really tough time laying those eggs, especially near the end. Let her eat as much as she wants. She will need all the energy she can get.

Wow, 13 and still laying eggs! I thought my dragon was old. Sounds like you are a very experienced dragon parent, I am sure your girl will do just fine.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom