my beardie has gout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracey13

Original Poster
If you tap the picture, the video will play.

One issue of worry. Dyrdeks tail seems darker than his body and kind of dried out. I've been reading people's posts about tail rot. I hope that's not the problem.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Tracey,

Thanks for posting the blood tests, it was helpful. The uric acid at 29mg/dl is basically renal failure.
I am very surprised an antibiotic was given if the uric acid was high initially.
Which antibiotic was used initially before the uric acid rose to that level?
I am glad to see he is drinking from a bowl, that will greatly help out alot. Hopefully his feet will improve but at least he can get around that is what matters.
Definitely keep a close eye on them, in case you need to separate them.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Tracey13

Original Poster
The blood panel I posted was the test they did the first time to the vet, she also did x rays. Prior to that he had no meds. He has been on Ceftiofur. She did say there was a class of antibiotics that had to be avoided because of the kidney problems. When he was tested again 2 weeks later uric acid was still over 20. Then we started the gout meds. He hasn't had the uric acid levels retested since then. The infection seems to keep coming back or never fully going away. I really feel that since he has been on the gout meds, he has a good quality of life except for the infection, so I hope we can get it under control. If anything changes, I'll keep you posted.
Tracey

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Tracey,

Do they know what type of infection it is? I would be inclined to think that it is basically the gout causing the swelling in that area.
Did they culture the fluids from that area to determine what type of infection was present?
He is doing pretty well over all right now then while on the gout meds?
I hope he is eating too & staying hydrated.
Please keep us posted on him, I am hoping he continues to improve for you.

Tracie

Tracey13

Original Poster
Honestly, I don't think they did a culture, they didn't mention one.I asked if the infection was related to the gout but she believes it is secondary. When she drained the infection the first time, she described it as looking like cottage cheese, the second time was blood with mucous. There is some swelling in all of the limbs but the right front foot is much more swollen if that helps.
The swelling in the other limbs and feet does improve after the meds are given and he is much more mobile since we started the meds, so it does help him in that way.He eats a few crickets 3 to 5 a day, a little salad and 1 or 2 worms as a treat sometimes. He is drinking well. The stores in my area have only a reptisun 5 which I don't think will work so we will have to order it once I figure out reptisun 10 or reptisun 10 HO. So you think we should ask for a culture? The vet suggested the possibility the infection could be caused by a bite although no wound is visible. We got materials to divide the enclosure and we are going to see if it makes a difference. We want to give him every chance we can.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Tracey,

I think it could help with doing a culture just to see what strain of bacteria it is in case different meds are needed. Do you think it could have been a bite?
At least he seems to be doing better on the meds. Has the swelling gone down at all since he started?
I am happy to hear he is drinking fluids on his own, too that is great!
The Reptisun 10 HO is a great bulb, it just needs a different fixture. The regular 10 is still good also.
Do you think you will be able to mount the light inside of the tank or under the top?
Maybe if they could still see each other then dividing the tank wouldn't be so bad?

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

Tracey13

Original Poster
Hi Tracie
I never saw any wound or blood on him but a couple of days ago, I did see STubs grab his head with his teeth and hold him down when he went for a cricket and there was no blood then either. So it is possible. I'll call the vet Monday if the swelling is bad and see about a culture this time. The first time we ever saw the swelling it was very bad, he looked like a frog when we saw him in the morning and we never saw it coming on even though we took him out of his enclosure every day. He also was hardly moving and couldn't walk around. We had to catch crickets for him. The swelling had gone down, not away. The main difference is his mobility. He can walk, climb over logs and rocks and catch his prey. I don't know if it's the gout medicine or pain reliever that is giving the most help.
So can the reptisun 10 fit in the walmart fixture? RIght now, I need good but least expensive because of the ongoing vet bills. We are going to try the screens, I hope it's a good solution and we will try to figure out the best way to mount the UVB in the tank. Tracey

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Tracey,

It sounds like there is a little bit of domination going on there so I think placing a screen in between will be helpful. How are you going to get UVB exposure for both of them or are you going to have each side have their own UVB light? The idea is to keep the stress low for him so he can try to recover as best as possible.
A walmart fixture will be ok, as long as it has some type of reflective backing on the inside of the fixture.
I am glad he can move around though, that is a plus! I think it is the combination of the meds that are helping him out with pain management & mobility. The gout meds don't directly help with pain relief but they do break down the uric acid which in turn begins to reduce swelling & discomfort.
Is he still drinking water on his own, too?

Tracie

Tracey13

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,
We are trying to figure out the best way to set up the terrarium to meet both of their needs. It is a rectangle and we are dividing it long ways so each will have a rectangle instead of 2 squares. We think it will be easier to keep a warm end and cool end for them. But here's the thing, they both spend most of the day at the warm end. So would it be best to put the uvb bulb across the width of the warm end, or do we need to go across the length (it won't be long enough to cover the whole length.) I also picked up another basking light but I didn't realize it was 100 watt instead of the 75 I have so I'll have to get them both the same. I worry that the warm side might not get warm enough for Dyrkek and because he never climbs his branch to get close to the basking light. But Stubbs is usually up on his branch or in his cave. Dyrdek stays on the bottom or climbs on a low platform (a piece of slate on some rocks. ) The temp is around 94 or 95 most of the time. So maybe I should opt for the 100 watt? You said something about keeping the stress low for him, what is the best way to do that?
We are going to finish this last round of antibiotics, if it's still swollen, I will get a culture done, at least we will know what we're dealing with. He sometimes drinks
from his bowl, always from a dropper which he gets every day. He didn't like the tart cherry juice but Stubbs who barely drank water from a dropper, loves it. :) Maybe Dyrdek will like black cherry better. He is still moving around well and ate his greens and Apple's very well today. I wish I could get Stubs more interested in his salad. Thanks for your help.
Tracey

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Tracey,

Keeping the stress low can be hard but just being sure he is not bullied, etc or gets overheated will help a lot. Though, with gout it is important to be sure he does reach optimal temperatures to help the body excrete uric acid as it wont excrete properly under too low of temperatures.
If you are going to share a UVB between the two of them, you can put the basking lights towards the center divider which would be right beside the UVB. Then, the cooler end would be at the other side of their tanks away from the UVB.
If the 75 watt isn't getting him warm enough then you can try a 100 watt to see how the temperatures go with that.
Stubbs liked the tart cherry but Dyrdek didn't? Go figure. The black cherry tastes better, I agree. I am glad he seems to be doing well right & ate his greens & apple, too.

Tracie

Tracey13

Original Poster
We now have the enclosure devided but while we were working on it, Stubs bit Dyrdek again on the tail this time. I did not see him do it or see a wound but I Did see some blood on his tail so I think that's what happened. I cleaned the tail with Betadine ointments I don't see any sign of swelling. We put him in a 29 gallon tank for the evening while we finished the enclosure, now they are both back in. So far they are not eating anything but they are basking. STubs is doing a lot of head bobbing, then he just sits there with his eyes half closed. I hope that's just a normal reaction to the change. I did give them both a soak together today so they would stay hydrated. Is there anything else Ishould be doing for the wound? As far as his arm goes, it is hard to tell if it's the same or maybe a little better. One is still more swollen than the other.
Tracey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom