My Beardie Fell and Hasn’t Been Acting Right… very scared owner :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseylynn623

Beardie name(s)
Liz
Hello.. looking for help/advice from anyone who may have experienced/seen anything similar to my beardie’s story.

My 2 year old bearded dragon named Lizard, (odd name I know lol, Liz for short) fell about 2 feet off of my couch and onto carpet. He has taken this leap a few times in the past and usually just takes off running and explores the living room. However, this time was different. He fell and was stunned for about 20-30 seconds, his mouth was wide open, his body was puffed out, and his beard was very black. After this behavior was done, he became very limp and lethargic. I set him back in his tank and let him rest for a while. All of his limbs appear normal, he has intact reflexes, and he has no swelling any where from the incident.

However, now it is 3 days since this incident and he isn’t any better. He is showing no interest in his insects or veggies, he hasn’t been moving much at all, his beard gets black on and off all day long, he is not grasping onto my hand when I pick him up, and he is just very limp overall. He is also doing this weird behavior that I have never seen before, it is almost like he is swallowing or hiccuping and throwing his head back at the same time. But he has no stress marks on his body and he looks bright and normal from the neck down.

His basking area is around 90-100 degrees and his cool side is around 75-80 in a 40 gallon reptile tank. However, he isn’t really moving much. If I set him in the basking area, he will stay there unless I move him to the cool side, and vice versa.

I was able to force feed him kale and super worms, I opened his mouth and set it on his tongue and he immediately chewed and swallowed the food with no problems. But he just isn’t going after it like he used to.

I don’t know if Liz is just being dramatic from the fall incident or if there is really something going on.. a lot of other threads I’ve been reading point to signs maybe of a URI but I find it hard to believe that it would be this coincidental with the timing of it all. Prior to the fall, he was perfect and amazing. Active, always ready to eat, he would grab onto my hand with all his limbs and hold his tail tight to my arm, he would never get black, and I have never seen him swallow/hiccup before like this ever!

I attached some pictures for reference of how happy and good he was before all of this.

I just want my Lizzie back to his normal self and I don’t know why he is acting this way :(

Attachments

• 733FB0E8-1546-46D2-BDA6-10FAA7187D43.jpeg
    733FB0E8-1546-46D2-BDA6-10FAA7187D43.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 26B60122-54D8-4336-B9EA-58351F2B2A35.jpeg
    26B60122-54D8-4336-B9EA-58351F2B2A35.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 105

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor Liz, it sounds like he might have hurt herself. Did he land on his belly or did he possibly hit
his head on the way down? There is a chance he could have wrenched his back somehow.
Has his beard been black at all? Can he fully stand on all fours?
Can he still grip like he did previously?
The swallowing/hiccuping can indicate pain, stress or discomfort so that is likely what is going on now,
but not necessarily a respiratory infection.
For now, until we figure out what exactly is going on with him, can you try to get his basking area to
a lower placement so he doesn't have to climb so much. You might have to adjust his UVB light or the
basking light to be sure his lighting area is still optimal.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

caseylynn623

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Liz
Hello,

Poor Liz, it sounds like he might have hurt herself. Did he land on his belly or did he possibly hit
his head on the way down? There is a chance he could have wrenched his back somehow.
Has his beard been black at all? Can he fully stand on all fours?
Can he still grip like he did previously?
The swallowing/hiccuping can indicate pain, stress or discomfort so that is likely what is going on now,
but not necessarily a respiratory infection.
For now, until we figure out what exactly is going on with him, can you try to get his basking area to
a lower placement so he doesn't have to climb so much. You might have to adjust his UVB light or the
basking light to be sure his lighting area is still optimal.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
Thank you so much for your quick reply and at an odd hour!! (It is 4am where I am, I work overnights)

It looked like he landed on his right side/back. He can fully stand on all fours but then after a few seconds just pancakes onto his belly. His beard is black and then normal on and off all day. He can grip me with his hind legs pretty good but his front limbs are more limp. There isn’t any swelling and when I touch them he doesn’t react. When I get home from work I will definitely adjust his basking area, keep offering him food, and keep trying to make him as comfortable as I can. Fingers crossed in the next few days he returns back to his normal self.. I keep telling myself maybe he’s just a drama king.

After a lot of reading on here I think I should get a new UVB light as well, it has been about 8 months since I changed it out.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you so much for your quick reply and at an odd hour!! (It is 4am where I am, I work overnights)

It looked like he landed on his right side/back. He can fully stand on all fours but then after a few seconds just pancakes onto his belly. His beard is black and then normal on and off all day. He can grip me with his hind legs pretty good but his front limbs are more limp. There isn’t any swelling and when I touch them he doesn’t react. When I get home from work I will definitely adjust his basking area, keep offering him food, and keep trying to make him as comfortable as I can. Fingers crossed in the next few days he returns back to his normal self.. I keep telling myself maybe he’s just a drama king.

After a lot of reading on here I think I should get a new UVB light as well, it has been about 8 months since I changed it out.
What are you using for a UVB? a coil or tube ? It is recommended on this forum a long tube fixture- we can post links for you for a good UVB -- they are not all the same and you want a good one -- how is the dragon doing today? You caught our vet tech mod on here last nite and she responds late at night -- she would be the best one to help you w/ the medical issues -- I was thinking Lizzie knocked the wind out of him and landing on the carpet was a good think as it softens the landing - my two do it as well and take off running across the carpet - he may have landed wrong this time -- if he doesnt seem to start acting like he was I would recommend you take him in for X rays to see if any internal injuries are going on -- heres a website to find reptile vet in your area if your in a small / town type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you www.arav.org

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No problem! You are up late, too then.
I agree, give it a bit of time but if he continues his strange behavior, a vet visit would be a good
idea if possible.
He might just be sore too from the fall, maybe he landed wrong. We can help with any lighting
adjustments also. If his light is 8 months old it's good to go ahead & replace it also.
Let us know how he is doing. I hope he starts to improve for you soon & his black bearding stops,
also.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom