My bearded dragon's eye has been swollen for a month with some fluid starting to emerge

LadyStardust72

Beardie name(s)
Amaryllis♡
I have a bearded dragon who turned nine years old in February, about a month ago I noticed a swollen eyelid, the swelling has increased. Now there is also the presence of some fluid/crust so I clean what I can with a cotton swab. Here's the thing, I'm sure I'll get some flack for this but I'm already very stressed. I never brought her for a checkup since I've had her, I started calling as many vet clinics as I could around me. All the practices that,accept exotics around me aren't accepting new 'clients'.The nearest exotic animal vet ERs are hours away, and I can't afford their prices anyhow. If anyone has an experience like this any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220321_143750.jpg
    20220321_143750.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 20220321_143835.jpg
    20220321_143835.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 20220413_171640.jpg
    20220413_171640.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 91

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a bearded dragon who turned nine years old in February, about a month ago I noticed a swollen eyelid, the swelling has increased. Now there is also the presence of some fluid/crust so I clean what I can with a cotton swab. Here's the thing, I'm sure I'll get some flack for this but I'm already very stressed. I never brought her for a checkup since I've had her, I started calling as many vet clinics as I could around me. All the practices that,accept exotics around me aren't accepting new 'clients'.The nearest exotic animal vet ERs are hours away, and I can't afford their prices anyhow. If anyone has an experience like this any help is greatly appreciated.
Please go over the UVB your using and the basking bulb --- If your using any colored bulbs please stop -- please no coils for UVB's and you want a solid bright white basking bulb no off white or colored and no bulbs w/ a neoyidium coating on them -- in the mean time please rinse w/ some regular saline and get some raw unpasteurized honey -- apply to eye w/a cotton swab - I would do this 2 times per day and please leave no crickets in the tank --- also I can help w/ getting the lighting fixed --- also what are you using for a substrate ? No loose substrate please
@AHBD

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry his eye is so swollen. I would highly recommend trying to get him to the vet. Swelling of
this magnitude is most likely due to an abscess or injury, or possible infection of the lacrimal or tear
duct gland.
As Karrie suggested, using saline solution or raw honey on & in the eye can help temporarily.
Please review your lighting with us, also.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom