My bearded dragon just ate his own poop-

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFirst-TimeLizardOwner

Original Poster
I was playing a game, and noticed he was hungry, and then he ATE POOP. Like, it was on the floor, dried because I forgot to clean his cage, and he just ate it. Will he be okay or..?

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
It’s common and won’t be an issue if there is no underlying health issues. The only time it's actually harmful is if they have a high count of parasites, worms, or bacteria that they would be introducing into their mouths and upper gastrointestinal tracts where they don't normally live, or they have open wounds in their mouths that can become infected. If not if that’s the case the dragon should be ok. What’s the stool looking like can you be sure that it’s none of the above ?

AFirst-TimeLizardOwner

Original Poster
It’s common and won’t be an issue if there is no underlying health issues. The only time it's actually harmful is if they have a high count of parasites, worms, or bacteria that they would be introducing into their mouths and upper gastrointestinal tracts where they don't normally live, or they have open wounds in their mouths that can become infected. If not if that’s the case the dragon should be ok. What’s the stool looking like can you be sure that it’s none of the above ?
It looks healthy, though a little watery sometimes, so I've been trying to get that taken care of, but other than that he seems perfectly healthy, and his stool seems like that too. He also tried to eat his uh... urate. I stopped him on that one and fed him. He doesn't seem like it's impacted him at the moment, so it should be fine.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
If it’s runny there’s no impaction. Does the dragon eat a lot of greens. Do you feed hornworms unless your Dragon is super hydrated it shouldn’t be runny how long is it been running like that the reason I ask is because like I said above parasites would be bad if it’s eating it’s poop. If you’re interested in doing a worm test on your dragon to see if it has parasites of any kind I know really good sources they mail you the kit you put the stool in the kit and then you send it back with A few bucks and they test it for you

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
They also tend to eat poop when they are lacking a mineral or vitamin in their diet? Or undigested food is also a potential reason. This can be caused by feeding times around lights out or dragons not hot enough basking or eating to fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom