My bearded dragon is acting really strange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I just got it yesterday. not entirely sure of the gender or age, but I'd say it's about 6 inches head to tail. Haven't measured it with a ruler or anything though. Point is, it's very young, and in a 10 gallon glass container with a screen top.
Since earlier today it's been running around its tank and scratching at the glass like crazy, then looking around, running to the other side of the container, coming back and repeating the process.
I have no clue why it'd be doing this. Can anybody tell me anything??

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Hello :) A 10 gallon is way to small. The smallest they should be in is a 40 gallon breeder cage.
Also could you answer these questions

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)?
How long are lights on each day?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
What is the night time temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bathe your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

Usernamesarehard

Original Poster
brittani299":154dvjp0 said:
Hello :) A 10 gallon is way to small. The smallest they should be in is a 40 gallon breeder cage.
Also could you answer these questions

How old is your dragon? not sure, but he's a baby. very small.
How long have you had your dragon? about 2 days
How long is your dragon? not sure, but small, maybe 5 and a half inches
What is the sex of your dragon? don't know
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 10 gallon tank
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? reptile carpet
Do you use UVB lights? yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? fluorescent
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? I forgot lol
How old is your UVB bulb? got it 2 days ago
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?a few inches away
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? yes, it's a black bowl like fixture and the bulb connects to a ceramic heat emitter, 150, white.
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)? yeah, an infrared light that connects to the ceramic heat emitter
How long are lights on each day? White light is on while the sun is up, Infrared is on while it's down
What are the basking temps? basking area is about 102 degrees
What is the cool side temp? not sure
What is the night time temp? basking side at night is about 80 degrees
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? it's the kind that looks like a clock
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? I have the thermometer on the rock he basks on
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? I have a little fake cave thing he can climb ontop of
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Small crickets, dusted with calcium 3 times a week. occasionally I'll also feed him some zuchinni, broccoli or shredded carrots
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? 4 crickets every morning
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? they get some orange goo stuff if that counts.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? As previously mentioned, I use calcium on the crickets three times a week
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? he poops once a day
Do you bathe your dragon? How often? I have not bathed him yet, as I feel it is too early to handle him
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? He has a shallow water bowl that he can easily get in to
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? no
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
no

all my question responses are in the quote

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
ok as stated a 10 gal tank is too small to get the right temperature gradient, you could use a 20 gal long for now but as you dragon grows it will need at minimum a 40 gal breeder tank (36 inches long by 18 inches wide by 18 inches tall)
the type of uvb bulb you are using is very important, it will tell you the name of the bulb on the bulb.
infared bulbs interrupt a baby's sleep and are not recommended, if your night time temps drop below 65 degrees then you need a ceramic heat emitter that gives off heat but no light.
the round dial thermometers are very inaccurate, they can be up to 20 degrees off in either direction, and the temps are extremely important. You need to get a digital thermometer with a probe or a temp gun for accurate temperature readings.
dusting for a baby should be calcium 1 feeding a day 5 days a week and vitamins 1 feeding a day 2 day a week.
you baby needs to be fed 2-3 times a day with live feeders, he needs WAY more than 4 crickets a day, most babies will eat 50-150 or more crickets a day.
babies dehydrate very quickly and should be given a bath every other day to help keep them hydrated.

Usernamesarehard

Original Poster
sweetpea1981":3q2nxbzc said:
ok as stated a 10 gal tank is too small to get the right temperature gradient, you could use a 20 gal long for now but as you dragon grows it will need at minimum a 40 gal breeder tank (36 inches long by 18 inches wide by 18 inches tall)
the type of uvb bulb you are using is very important, it will tell you the name of the bulb on the bulb.
infared bulbs interrupt a baby's sleep and are not recommended, if your night time temps drop below 65 degrees then you need a ceramic heat emitter that gives off heat but no light.
the round dial thermometers are very inaccurate, they can be up to 20 degrees off in either direction, and the temps are extremely important. You need to get a digital thermometer with a probe or a temp gun for accurate temperature readings.
dusting for a baby should be calcium 1 feeding a day 5 days a week and vitamins 1 feeding a day 2 day a week.
you baby needs to be fed 2-3 times a day with live feeders, he needs WAY more than 4 crickets a day, most babies will eat 50-150 or more crickets a day.
babies dehydrate very quickly and should be given a bath every other day to help keep them hydrated.
Alright, thanks. I know for a fact I couldn't keep or afford 50-150 crickets.
would four crickets in the moring and a little bowl of chopped up carrots/broccoli in the afternoon work? He's so small anything beyond like 6 crickets seems ridiculous.

Mumtozeus

Hatchling Member
How big are ur crickets ?
They need to be no bigger than the gap between ther eyes and 4 crickets really is not enough when they are babies the eat and eat and grow fast
My Lil man is 5 months old and he eats about 30-40 hoppers a day

XiDiS

Juvie Member
Usernamesarehard":h4yo3cyn said:
sweetpea1981":h4yo3cyn said:
Alright, thanks. I know for a fact I couldn't keep or afford 50-150 crickets.
would four crickets in the moring and a little bowl of chopped up carrots/broccoli in the afternoon work? He's so small anything beyond like 6 crickets seems ridiculous.

If you cant afford to feed them properly... you really shouldnt own the pet. Im sorry if that sounds harsh but these guys eat like CRAZY for the first year and you really should be prepared.

Usernamesarehard

Original Poster
Mumtozeus":2lrcwc95 said:
How big are ur crickets ?
They need to be no bigger than the gap between ther eyes and 4 crickets really is not enough when they are babies the eat and eat and grow fast
My Lil man is 5 months old and he eats about 30-40 hoppers a day
well I might not be able to have a bearded dragon then D:

brittani299

Extreme Poster
My baby eats about 50-70 crickets a day. They need the food or will not grow properly. An adult eats less feeders but since needs them

bjosephs

If you cant afford to feed them properly... you really shouldnt own the pet. Im sorry if that sounds harsh but these guys eat like CRAZY for the first year and you really should be prepared.

There is nothing harsh about pointing that out at all. If this was a dog no one would hesitate to point out that deliberately underfeeding it is simply neglect.

Usernamesarehard, if you buy crickets at the pet store they are way more expensive than online. You can buy 500 or a 1000 crickets for less than $15 dollars, shipping rates can get high if you overnight them due to living in a cold area (I used Ghann's Cricket farm). Go to the feeders section and read up, crickets get cheaper and cheaper the better you learn to care for them. Buy 1000 or so 1/4" or smaller crickets and keep them in a plastic deep storage bin with some food. You should be able to feed them off before they die, if so - buy 2000 next time.

If you can't make the recommended changes to a proper feeding regiment and larger tank then please consider giving your pet up to an experienced owner. There will be no satisfaction in owning a sick, miserable pet.

Momomo

Hatchling Member
bjosephs":j289s64g said:
There is nothing harsh about pointing that out at all. If this was a dog no one would hesitate to point out that deliberately underfeeding it is simply neglect.

Usernamesarehard, if you buy crickets at the pet store they are way more expensive than online. You can buy 500 or a 1000 crickets for less than $15 dollars, shipping rates can get high if you overnight them due to living in a cold area (I used Ghann's Cricket farm). Go to the feeders section and read up, crickets get cheaper and cheaper the better you learn to care for them. Buy 1000 or so 1/4" or smaller crickets and keep them in a plastic deep storage bin with some food. You should be able to feed them off before they die, if so - buy 2000 next time.

If you can't make the recommended changes to a proper feeding regiment and larger tank then please consider giving your pet up to an experienced owner. There will be no satisfaction in owning a sick, miserable pet.

Well said.

bjosephs

I just worry sometimes, Momomo. We all made mistakes early on no matter how much research we did before committing to a pet, but sometimes people don't seem willing to make the adjustments needed. I'm not suggesting this person won't do so, but we'll have to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexreynolds
Top Bottom