My basking light keeps turning on & off

Khaoboy

Beardie name(s)
Drago
Hi guys,

I'm using a echo tech dimming+ timer+ night time drop digital thermostat.

I'm trying to get my basking light to stay on for 12hrs plugged into the dimmer.
When it get to temp its seems to slowly turn my basking light off....
Then turn it on few mins or so when it needs to lift the temp again.

How do I keep my basking light on but dimmed while using this style dimmer?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi guys,

I'm using a echo tech dimming+ timer+ night time drop digital thermostat.

I'm trying to get my basking light to stay on for 12hrs plugged into the dimmer.
When it get to temp its seems to slowly turn my basking light off....
Then turn it on few mins or so when it needs to lift the temp again.

How do I keep my basking light on but dimmed while using this style dimmer?
I have no idea but lets ask CooperDragon he can help here
@CooperDragon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With dimmers it's important to get the temps pretty close to your target just using height and bulb type/wattage adjustment. That leaves only fine tuning for the dimmer which they can be pretty good at. I've also noticed that different bulbs handle dimming better than others. You may need to try out a few different basking bulbs to see what works best with your setup. Generally, halogens and incandescents are what you want to use with a dimmer. I've had the best luck with BR40 incandescents, but try a few different bulbs out and see if you notice a difference in behavior once you have the temps close to where you want them without the dimmer.

Khaoboy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drago
With dimmers it's important to get the temps pretty close to your target just using height and bulb type/wattage adjustment. That leaves only fine tuning for the dimmer which they can be pretty good at. I've also noticed that different bulbs handle dimming better than others. You may need to try out a few different basking bulbs to see what works best with your setup. Generally, halogens and incandescents are what you want to use with a dimmer. I've had the best luck with BR40 incandescents, but try a few different bulbs out and see if you notice a difference in behavior once you have the temps close to where you want them without the dimmer.
Thanks I think I understand, so try & get the right wattage bulb that is close to correct temps (basking, cool side) for my 4x2x2 without being in the dimmer just yet.

Once I've got that bulb right then put it into the dimmer then play with the probe placement & height of basking rock to fine tune it?

Will this get rid of the problem of it flicking on & of as it reaches temps?

Thanks for your time i do appreciate the help alot!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yep, it sounds like you've got the idea. Just think of the dimmer as a fine tuning tool rather than a full control and work on getting a bulb/height match working first. Once your dimmer doesn't have to cut as much power, I don't think the light will flicker as much.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom