My baby beardie was attacked by the cat

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I went with your suggestion and got the Zoo Med T5 UVB with a reptisun 10 HO lamp
Ok good make sure its 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor unobstructed-- if you have a wide holed screen it can sit on top but you want that distance of 8-10 inches

Rylie Skye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kevin, Calypso Von Blueberry, Marvin
Ok good make sure its 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor unobstructed-- if you have a wide holed screen it can sit on top but you want that distance of 8-10 inches
Done ✅

Thank you again for your help!

Rylie Skye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
UPDATE:

Marvin is still struggling. No better, no worse. We knew this recovery was going to take a long time, but it breaks my heart to see him like this.

He’s refused food again today. It looks like we’re going to have to force feed him. :(

Does anybody have any tips on force feeding a baby beardie?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
UPDATE:

Marvin is still struggling. No better, no worse. We knew this recovery was going to take a long time, but it breaks my heart to see him like this.

He’s refused food again today. It looks like we’re going to have to force feed him. :(

Does anybody have any tips on force feeding a baby beardie?
Let's have ahbd help you
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can find tips on assist feeding on Youtube, seeing it is better than describing.
The baby might be acting this way due to infection but it also might be from the lack of uvb , the bulb you replaced might help but it's just the first day so see if there's improvement after a few days with the good uvb.

Rylie Skye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
You can find tips on assist feeding on Youtube, seeing it is better than describing.
The baby might be acting this way due to infection but it also might be from the lack of uvb , the bulb you replaced might help but it's just the first day so see if there's improvement after a few days with the good uvb.
Thank you!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If you have to feed him (i don't like the idea of forcing it) you can get oxbow omnivore and carnivore critical care on amazon. I've used the omnivore with good success. You can mix it to whatever consistency you need and the omnivore smells good enough that i considered trying it lol. But anyway just use a syringe to put it on his nose, he should start lapping at it. If he doesn't you can gently pull down his lip (it's easiest back near the rear) and put a little dollop on his gums so he taste it. For a baby i would probably use mostly the carnivore they need the protein. I think you can most likely avoid having to force feed him using the oxbow stuff. Seems a lot safer to me.

Rylie Skye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
If you have to feed him (i don't like the idea of forcing it) you can get oxbow omnivore and carnivore critical care on amazon. I've used the omnivore with good success. You can mix it to whatever consistency you need and the omnivore smells good enough that i considered trying it lol. But anyway just use a syringe to put it on his nose, he should start lapping at it. If he doesn't you can gently pull down his lip (it's easiest back near the rear) and put a little dollop on his gums so he taste it. For a baby i would probably use mostly the carnivore they need the protein. I think you can most likely avoid having to force feed him using the oxbow stuff. Seems a lot safer to me.
Thank you, I will look into it ❤️

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Everyone has had great suggestions. We are all pulling for him. I know it's stressful when they are
having so much trouble.
They usually do pretty well with simply dropping the food onto the end of the nose. If they really like
the flavor they will easily lick it directly off of the dropper or syringe or their little nose. It also cuts down
on incidences of aspirations especially with the younger ones.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Rylie Skye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
UPDATE:

Marvin is still quite lethargic, struggling to stay balanced, and is refusing food/water.

We’ve been preparing a slurry of grub pie and assist feeding him on a schedule (about 5 units on our syringe every 4 hours). He’s been licking it off his nose and lips, we’re not forcing his mouth open.
We’ve also been soaking him once a day (pedialyte and water 1:1) for about 10 minutes.

We’re seeing a little improvement. He’s accepting the syringe more and is stressing less when we have to handle him. Movement has been a trigger for his “lizard vertigo”.

Our goal is just to keep him nourished, hydrated, and comfy right now.
06641E89-E5CB-40CA-AF64-39B9BF58ADF3.jpeg

Rylie Skye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
As of this evening, Marvin’s health seems to be declining. He’s becoming less responsive to touch and can hardy lift his head up.

I am not sure Marvin will survive 😔💔

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm sorry to hear that 😞

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so so sorry, it's likely infection from the cat bite/scratch. Just a very unfortunate accident . My heart goes out to you and little Marvin.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom