My baby beardie was attacked by the cat

Rylie Skye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kevin, Calypso Von Blueberry, Marvin
His wounds healed up well and he’s been eating, pooping, and drinking normally. However, as of last night he was having trouble with coordination. It seems like he’s dizzy and can’t orient himself.

We went to the vet asap and were told that his wobbliness could be because of a number of things but most likely may be an immune response to an infection or the result of head trauma. We are continuing to use antibiotics and keeping him hydrated by diluting Pedialyte with water.

The vet is fairly hopeful that he will survive and recover from this, albeit it might be a slow process. But I am very concerned for his well-being. He’s lethargic about half the time. When he moves it’s almost as if he can’t orient himself. We were told just to give Marvin antibiotics, keep him fed, hydrated, and comfy. Our vet is very knowledgeable with beardies and I trust their judgment. I just feel so helpless. He hasn’t displayed any signs of ADV or MBD (although I’m not ruling them out).

Marvin has had a little trouble catching food today. I hope I don’t have syringe feed, but any tips would be wonderful.

All advice is greatly appreciated. I just want my little guy to feel better soon :(

Here Marvin is waiting for the doc:
5D4E96D3-E696-4A51-8EAB-FF42207C156D.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
His wounds healed up well and he’s been eating, pooping, and drinking normally. However, as of last night he was having trouble with coordination. It seems like he’s dizzy and can’t orient himself.

We went to the vet asap and were told that his wobbliness could be because of a number of things but most likely may be an immune response to an infection or the result of head trauma. We are continuing to use antibiotics and keeping him hydrated by diluting Pedialyte with water.

The vet is fairly hopeful that he will survive and recover from this, albeit it might be a slow process. But I am very concerned for his well-being. He’s lethargic about half the time. When he moves it’s almost as if he can’t orient himself. We were told just to give Marvin antibiotics, keep him fed, hydrated, and comfy. Our vet is very knowledgeable with beardies and I trust their judgment. I just feel so helpless. He hasn’t displayed any signs of ADV or MBD (although I’m not ruling them out).

Marvin has had a little trouble catching food today. I hope I don’t have syringe feed, but any tips would be wonderful.

All advice is greatly appreciated. I just want my little guy to feel better soon :(

Here Marvin is waiting for the doc:
View attachment 77126
What are you using for a uvb? What are his surface basking temps and how are you taking them? Digital probe thermometers are the most accurate

Rylie Skye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
What are you using for a uvb? What are his surface basking temps and how are you taking them? Digital probe thermometers are the most accurate
His surface basking temp is about 95-100. We’re using a thrive UVB bulb (and basking for that matter). I’ve been using an infrared gun to read temps. I’ve been reading all the temps by scanning the surfaces themselves (eg. his basking rock or under his cool hide).

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Is the thrive uvb a coil/compact? If so they are no good. Please get a long tube and fixture. The t5 is a better bulb but a t8 can be used, the placement is different however, Karrieree can help you with placement. Also the ir guns can be inaccurate on some materials. You need the digital probe thermometer to get dependable readings. Your uvb and basking are absolutely the most critical aspect of your setup, if they are off your beardie won't thrive.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
His surface basking temp is about 95-100. We’re using a thrive UVB bulb (and basking for that matter). I’ve been using an infrared gun to read temps. I’ve been reading all the temps by scanning the surfaces themselves (eg. his basking rock or under his cool hide).
I can post links for 3 uvb's - please get this replaced as soon as possible-

Rylie Skye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Uvb's- are not all the same for a 40 gallon tank you want a T 5 bulb-- T 8 's are more for small tanks like 30 gallon and down
That is very good to know. Doing some more research now on it. Thank you, I really appreciate it!!

Rylie Skye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Is the thrive uvb a coil/compact? If so they are no good. Please get a long tube and fixture. The t5 is a better bulb but a t8 can be used, the placement is different however, Karrieree can help you with placement. Also the ir guns can be inaccurate on some materials. You need the digital probe thermometer to get dependable readings. Your uvb and basking are absolutely the most critical aspect of your setup, if they are off your beardie won't thrive.
Thank you so much for your input! He does currently have a T8 compact bulb, which is definitely not the best choice for his setup - that is blunder in my end. I plan on replacing his lights and the thermometer as soon as the store opens in the morning. Is there a brand of thermometer you prefer?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you so much for your input! He does currently have a T8 compact bulb, which is definitely not the best choice for his setup - that is blunder in my end. I plan on replacing his lights and the thermometer as soon as the store opens in the morning. Is there a brand of thermometer you prefer?
Uvb zoo med or Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a sunblaster nano tech those are the ones recommended - I have never heard of a coil T 8

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? He is looking really good so he must be feeling quite a
bit better.
Let us know how the lighting changes are coming along.

Tracie

Rylie Skye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Got Marvin (and my other two beardies) better UVB lights and did a deep clean of his enclosure.

Marvin is about the same as he was yesterday. Still having trouble balancing and hasn’t showed much interest in food or water. I got some of his favorite snacks (blueberries and freeze dried crickets) to help entice him.

Fingers crossed he regains a little bit of his strength back today! I’ll keep you all posted on his progress.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Got Marvin (and my other two beardies) better UVB lights and did a deep clean of his enclosure.

Marvin is about the same as he was yesterday. Still having trouble balancing and hasn’t showed much interest in food or water. I got some of his favorite snacks (blueberries and freeze dried crickets) to help entice him.

Fingers crossed he regains a little bit of his strength back today! I’ll keep you all posted on his progress.
What did you get for a UVB?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom