My baby bearded dragon won’t eat!

Kmartinez63

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Midnight
Sounds good --- the Arcadia T 5 is a good UVB - please place a piece of basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches --- you have a wide hole screen so it can stay on top --I would keep your lights on top of the screen - if you dont haft to move them inside I would keep them on top -- easier access etc...- I would get her some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com order large they are a small staple larvae for babies - add them to the tops of her salads - get her some medium super worms feed those every other day on top of her salads as well -- these will lure her to the salad bowl and maybe eat more - the BSFL feed as many as you want great compliment to her roaches -- you will need a bowl similar to this to keep the BSFL in https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
For your tank I would go w/ a 4x2x2 tank - they are the most optimal for a full size dragon -- you want floor space not height as well --
Sounds good --- the Arcadia T 5 is a good UVB - please place a piece of basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches --- you have a wide hole screen so it can stay on top --I would keep your lights on top of the screen - if you dont haft to move them inside I would keep them on top -- easier access etc...- I would get her some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com order large they are a small staple larvae for babies - add them to the tops of her salads - get her some medium super worms feed those every other day on top of her salads as well -- these will lure her to the salad bowl and maybe eat more - the BSFL feed as many as you want great compliment to her roaches -- you will need a bowl similar to this to keep the BSFL in https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
For your tank I would go w/ a 4x2x2 tank - they are the most optimal for a full size dragon -- you want floor space not height as well --
So after changing the light she still not eating still active but not eating . Her stress marks are still visible from time to time but she’s not hiding . How long should I wait before taking her to the vet? She had bowel movements today
6C4BCE3E-3860-4B20-910E-1DB2ECF366FF.jpeg
and she drinks water.

Kmartinez63

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Midnight
Hello,

I agree, it is very frustrating trying to sift through all of the mixed information on the internet & in
pet stores, too.
I am glad you are using a digital probe thermometer to measure the temperatures. Is your dragon
basking more now? How is your dragon doing today, any improvements?
The basking light should be a bright white light & not a colored light. Most use a nice bright halogen
bulb for basking, in combination with the UVB lights.

Tracie
Yes that part I keep reading trying to figure out the cause and how to fix it or how to be sure it’s not something super serious but all the information is everywhere nothing really direct. She’s good I mean apart from not eating she looks like a healthy beardie but she doesn’t want to eat anything and I keep asking if it’s possible she could just not want to eat because she’s getting ready to shed because she hasn’t shed since I got her but from what I was told earlier it shouldn’t be making her completely stop eating :/

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your little one doing? She is so cute! She is definitely going to grow really fast.
Have you tried giving a nutritional slurry for her right now, since she isn't wanting to eat?
Shedding definitely affects their appetites some more than others. You could try some
bee pollen or a few drops of blackstrap molasses a couple of times per week to help with
her appetite.

Tracie

Kmartinez63

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Midnight
Hello,

How is your little one doing? She is so cute! She is definitely going to grow really fast.
Have you tried giving a nutritional slurry for her right now, since she isn't wanting to eat?
Shedding definitely affects their appetites some more than others. You could try some
bee pollen or a few drops of blackstrap molasses a couple of times per week to help with
her appetite.

Tracie
Hey Tracie ! Soo I managed to figure out what was wrong. I started to think and I had her near the window so I moved it and her energy leave changed completely she was less stressed moving more and then I switched up her food turns out she got tired or the roaches I’ve been giving her the smallest mealworms I found which are smaller than her eyes she devouring them I ordered her some black larve that should get here in a few days but she’s back to normal thank you!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey Tracie ! Soo I managed to figure out what was wrong. I started to think and I had her near the window so I moved it and her energy leave changed completely she was less stressed moving more and then I switched up her food turns out she got tired or the roaches I’ve been giving her the smallest mealworms I found which are smaller than her eyes she devouring them I ordered her some black larve that should get here in a few days but she’s back to normal thank you!!
Please NO meal worms they are good for causing impaction - babies stomachs are sensitive and meal worms are too harsh on them - the BSFL are good I would get her some crickets then if shes not liking the roaches which is too bad because crickets are a dirty feeder and can cause parasites where as the roaches are more nutritional --- good you found the cause - she must of been seeing birds and that caused the stress --

Kmartinez63

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Midnight
Please NO meal worms they are good for causing impaction - babies stomachs are sensitive and meal worms are too harsh on them - the BSFL are good I would get her some crickets then if shes not liking the roaches which is too bad because crickets are a dirty feeder and can cause parasites where as the roaches are more nutritional --- good you found the cause - she must of been seeing birds and that caused the stress --
For now I’ll try to get her to eat some more roaches instead. I got to wait till next week for there arrival of the worms but she’s healthy! Thank you !

OBAbeardiemom

Beardie name(s)
Maverick
Yall are amazing. I am a new baby beard owner. My daughter wanted one so badly...she started balling from joy when she saw him/her on Christmas Day. I did not prepare as much as I wish I had, but I have been reading everything you guys put out...and the lists, etc. Can you please let me know the best digital probe thermometer to get? Maybe a link? The ones that pop up are confusing. I did order a temp gun today. Also, if the baby does not eat the crickets right away should we try to get them out? I read about the parasites...and is there anywhere online to order crickets/roaches? Finally, ay special veggie dishes you recommend? Thanks so much - jumping on this thread since it had some of the info I was looking for.

Kmartinez63

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Midnight
Yall are amazing. I am a new baby beard owner. My daughter wanted one so badly...she started balling from joy when she saw him/her on Christmas Day. I did not prepare as much as I wish I had, but I have been reading everything you guys put out...and the lists, etc. Can you please let me know the best digital probe thermometer to get? Maybe a link? The ones that pop up are confusing. I did order a temp gun today. Also, if the baby does not eat the crickets right away should we try to get them out? I read about the parasites...and is there anywhere online to order crickets/roaches? Finally, ay special veggie dishes you recommend? Thanks so much - jumping on this thread since it had some of the info I was looking for.
I’m a beginner myself but these are the pages I found all the insects for my beardie! I got all my insects from Josh's Frogs - Largest online herps feeders and reptile supplies store
Or
everything else I think she can help you out everyone def helped me out :) ! Good luck !

HyperLollipop

Beardie name(s)
Herman
Hey, welcome to the community!! I'm new here too:)
I don't really know which thermometer is the best but I can advise on feeding.
If your baby beardie isn't eating the crickets, give him a few minutes to get as much as he could. And if you see he's done after 10 min or so remove the crickets because they can bite your baby.
As for the roaches, when I order them I usually get them from Amazon!! They all came alive and come in multiple different sizes, though I would reccommend getting as small as possible so your beardie doesn't get impacted. This is the brand I used: Amazon.com : Dubia Roaches
As for veggies, leafy greens!! But not lettuce. There are a lot of resources online. My beardie really loves dandelion greens and collard greens.

Enjoy your baby bearded dragon! Time flies, they grow really really fast.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Please don't leave crickets in the habitat, they will chew holes in your beardie. It's much easier and safer to feed them in a tote or another container. Clean up is easier and your there in case they try to bite your baby.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)

Attachments

• 20220703_150745.jpg
    20220703_150745.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 50

OBAbeardiemom

Beardie name(s)
Maverick
Hey, welcome to the community!! I'm new here too:)
I don't really know which thermometer is the best but I can advise on feeding.
If your baby beardie isn't eating the crickets, give him a few minutes to get as much as he could. And if you see he's done after 10 min or so remove the crickets because they can bite your baby.
As for the roaches, when I order them I usually get them from Amazon!! They all came alive and come in multiple different sizes, though I would reccommend getting as small as possible so your beardie doesn't get impacted. This is the brand I used: Amazon.com : Dubia Roaches
As for veggies, leafy greens!! But not lettuce. There are a lot of resources online. My beardie really loves dandelion greens and collard greens.

Enjoy your baby bearded dragon! Time flies, they grow really really fast.
Thanks so much!He/she loves collards! How fine do I need to chop them for a 5-6" baby?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I cut the stems out and use a pizza roller to cut mine, got to watch out for your finger tips though it will chop those too l😆 🤣 😆

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh they can get stressed being by windows sometimes! So she is much improved now
after moving her away from the window?
Is she eating more roaches now I hope? Just finely chop or mince up the greens for her.
I am glad to hear she likes Collard greens!

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom