MVB question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickZafo

hey everyone...

I'll be building my double viv this up coming weekend and was wondering if i could use a MVB bulb in a fixture like beardiebandits'
beardiebandit.jpg

or do i have to use a deep dome like seadooz
seadooz.jpg

thank you for your replies and advice in advance!!

beardiebandit

Hatchling Member
thats a good question...im kind of curious about that also. does anyone have a mvb buld that can tell us how hot it gets...? cuz i was thinking about that same setup....hmmmm. good question NickZafo!

how hot does a mvb bulb get and i have another question....is it bad for a mvb to be on a dimmer? or does it need to be operating at full power in order to produce the right amount of uv?

beardiebandit

Hatchling Member
thats kinda what i though but wasnt sure. thats the only reason i didnt go with them for my vivs. but i am curious as to how hot they get...?

zamboni

does it really matter?.. they are both ceramic mounts. but if you BD is getting a little close to the bulb put up a small bulb cage around it.
Edit: if you use the short mount it would be like a heat pad under the tank if you building a double so keep that in mind.

NickZafo

Original Poster
That’s what I figured.
My dragons will be exactly at the optimal 12" away from the bulb at the basking spot. it just seemed like one of those things that someone would defiantly have a problem with. But I guess ill just use the first one... works out a lot better for me :)

Edit: I didn’t think about that. and i was planning on making a double.
Maybe a small fan in between the two would cool it sufficiently?

zamboni

i wouldent go overboard by putting a fan in, but i would keep the warm sides on both tanks the same. unity through placement
so-to-speak.

beardiebandit

Hatchling Member
my double stacks have a 3/4 inch void between the roof of the lower and the floor of the upper not only to run wires but also to avoid the lower tank drastically heating the upper tank. the ceramic fixtures seem to work very well. i have a 100w heat lamp for the basking spot and i reached up and grabbed the fixture just to see how hot it was and it was pretty warm but it was no where close to extreme temps. i was kinda worried about them getting too hot.

zamboni

beardiebandit":0aac0 said:
i have a 100w heat lamp for the basking spot and i reached up and grabbed the fixture just to see how hot it was and it was pretty warm but it was no where close to extreme temps. i was kinda worried about them getting too hot.

wow you touched it i would have just lased it with the heat gun but meh w/e works right?

beardiebandit

Hatchling Member
lol! yeah! i guess that would have been the safer of the options! :D i was putting screen on my vent holes and i just thought" hey i wonder how hot that is" good thing it wasnt to bad. lol!

NickZafo

Original Poster
lol its cool hijacking is all the craze... im building the whole thing out on sketch up ill post pictures soon

NickZafo

Original Poster
lol unfortunately I’m at work doing this sketch up thing here and there and I cant print screen cause when ever I press print screen it literary prints the screen lol :lol:

EDIT: ...........but some how i figured it out lol
viv.jpg

The white in between and on top is the space allotted of the electrical.
The light bulbs are definitely not to proportion.
And it’s defiantly not decorated.

Beetle_Juice

Hatchling Member
i would make the space between the 2 cages about the size of a hand - and then vent that space really well - this will reduce the amount of heat coming from the lower viv to the other viv - ive seen people with set ups like this and they often have problems getting the temps right in the top cage.
remember the mvb bulbs get REALLY hot - if you get a megaray they also have a built in feature that if they to hot they switch off to stop the bulb blowing - also make sure you measure the bulb - they a lot bigger than a normal bulb - to be honest i would be concerned about the heat in that ceramic socket that is attached to the wood - but i suppose if you make sure that its rated high enough to hold the bulb then it will be ok - you set up will be awesome - remember the 12 inches is from the back of the beardie not the basking spot - so it has to be about 15 -16 inches from basking spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom