MVB or normal basking bulb for t8 uvb tube?

muffy

Original Poster
Hi! I’m a new bearded dragon owner and recently adopted a 4 year old bearded dragon.
He is currently in a 40 gallon tank and was previously with a basking bulb on one side and an 18 inch t8 uvb bulb on the other side, both on top of the cage.

I noticed he wouldn’t go over to the t8 tube light and stayed under the basking spot so i switched to a mvb bulb with the t8 because I was worried he wasn’t getting enough uvb.
Additionally, I try to take my beardie outside (if weather permits) at least once a day to get some natural sunlight and enrichment under supervision for an hour or so.

I’m wondering if it’s best to stick with the mvb and t8 bulb or to go back to the basking bulb with the t8 bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi! I’m a new bearded dragon owner and recently adopted a 4 year old bearded dragon.
He is currently in a 40 gallon tank and was previously with a basking bulb on one side and an 18 inch t8 uvb bulb on the other side, both on top of the cage.

I noticed he wouldn’t go over to the t8 tube light and stayed under the basking spot so i switched to a mvb bulb with the t8 because I was worried he wasn’t getting enough uvb.
Additionally, I try to take my beardie outside (if weather permits) at least once a day to get some natural sunlight and enrichment under supervision for an hour or so.

I’m wondering if it’s best to stick with the mvb and t8 bulb or to go back to the basking bulb with the t8 bulb.
It's up to you --- how old is the T 8 and it needs to go inside the tank-- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen- it needs to have NO clear plastic cover over the bulb and it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor- my guess he was getting no uvb and moved to the mvb - what brand and bulb is the mvb?

muffy

Original Poster
Hi! Thank you for your reply!

My T8 is about a few weeks old and the mvb is the 100 watt powersun by zoo med.
And I removed the plastic from the t8 light fixture which is the zilla slimline desert.

Is there a preferred way to mount this kind of light fixture inside the tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi! Thank you for your reply!

My T8 is about a few weeks old and the mvb is the 100 watt powersun by zoo med.
And I removed the plastic from the t8 light fixture which is the zilla slimline desert.

Is there a preferred way to mount this kind of light fixture inside the tank?
If your using a 50 watt slimline bulb that came w/ the fixture please replace w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 they are a way better bulb here is some stuff I use for my UVB's it is good its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture GE 15 ft. Cable Ties, Hook and Loop Spool, Black-10375 - The Home Depot

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you so much for your help!
I bought the reptisun bulb and some velcro and got everything set up!
ok make sure your distance is what I posted earlier for the UVB -- watch his behavior and make sure you change the bulb out in approx 6 months I recommend 5 -- what MVB are you using?

pkuzda12

If your using a 50 watt slimline bulb that came w/ the fixture please replace w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 they are a way better bulb here is some stuff I use for my UVB's it is good its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture GE 15 ft. Cable Ties, Hook and Loop Spool, Black-10375 - The Home Depot
Hey
does the t5 ho 10.0 bulb fit the same hood that goes with the t8 5.0 the 24 inch hood? Just wondering because i was hoping i dont have to buy a whole nother hood

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hey
does the t5 ho 10.0 bulb fit the same hood that goes with the t8 5.0 the 24 inch hood? Just wondering because i was hoping i dont have to buy a whole nother hood
I am sorry it does not you would need to buy another hood - the bulbs are different in width one if fatter than the other

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom