Muscle spasms! So worried!!!

My 4 yo boy has started twitching. Actually it’s been going on for probably better of 5 months or so. He doesn’t twitch all the time, mostly if you pick him up. Sometimes when he moves off his hammock and occasionally when he’s still. It’s mostly under his belly but sometimes I’ve seen his tail and legs twitch.
The internet is terrifying when you look up twitching. I’ve tried changing things up - more exposure to his uvb bulb, black soldier fly larva (which the vet said she learned beardies don’t digest properly) etc. I took him to the vet and she said he looked ok aside from the twitches. His fecal and in house bloodwork was normal. She told me to do plain calcium every day for a week and every other day for another week. I really haven’t noticed he is any better, not any worse either. He’s brumating right now so he’s not eating much. His vet specializes in beardies so I flat out asked her if I was doing something wrong. She said no, that beardies can have kidney or liver issues and that can affect his ability to absorb calcium. Even though his bloodwork was normal she said that beardies are notorious for hiding their issues in their bloodwork. I don’t know what to think at this point and I don’t know what to do. I worry about him constantly. We take very good care of him and this is really scaring me. He’s a very mellow guy and isn’t very active to begin with. Has anyone noticed this before in their beardie? Please anything anyone has seen or suggest would be so great. I need to email the vet back soon. I even applied for insurance for him bc I’m so scared there’s something really wrong. I attached a short video I just took. Of course he didn’t want to twitch too much. Even right now I’m holding him and I can feel the muscles in his tail twitching. 😞

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My 4 yo boy has started twitching. Actually it’s been going on for probably better of 5 months or so. He doesn’t twitch all the time, mostly if you pick him up. Sometimes when he moves off his hammock and occasionally when he’s still. It’s mostly under his belly but sometimes I’ve seen his tail and legs twitch.
The internet is terrifying when you look up twitching. I’ve tried changing things up - more exposure to his uvb bulb, black soldier fly larva (which the vet said she learned beardies don’t digest properly) etc. I took him to the vet and she said he looked ok aside from the twitches. His fecal and in house bloodwork was normal. She told me to do plain calcium every day for a week and every other day for another week. I really haven’t noticed he is any better, not any worse either. He’s brumating right now so he’s not eating much. His vet specializes in beardies so I flat out asked her if I was doing something wrong. She said no, that beardies can have kidney or liver issues and that can affect his ability to absorb calcium. Even though his bloodwork was normal she said that beardies are notorious for hiding their issues in their bloodwork. I don’t know what to think at this point and I don’t know what to do. I worry about him constantly. We take very good care of him and this is really scaring me. He’s a very mellow guy and isn’t very active to begin with. Has anyone noticed this before in their beardie? Please anything anyone has seen or suggest would be so great. I need to email the vet back soon. I even applied for insurance for him bc I’m so scared there’s something really wrong. I attached a short video I just took. Of course he didn’t want to twitch too much. Even right now I’m holding him and I can feel the muscles in his tail twitching. 😞
The video did not post---- what kind of UVB are you using? a coil or a long tube fixture? we are going to start there

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My male has done this off and on. The only thing I've found that helps is the oxbow critical care and getting him out in real sun light. After 5 or 6 days the twitching is notably less to gone. It's to cold to take him outside much here now, and he hasn't had the critical care for a couple months. I'm going to start him back on it and see if it works with his uvb bulb this time. You can get the critical care on Amazon, they sell carnivore and omnivore. The omnivore is what i use. It might be worth trying for you also, it's packed with calcium, vitamins, and minerals as far as i know.
From my research i think calcium and vitamin deficiencies are the cause of the twitching. You can also try using liquid calcium, i think they absord it easier.

laineyhowe

Original Poster
Here is a YouTube link for the twitching. Hopefully it’ll show up.

He has a dome light. It’s a exo-terra 150 uvb bulb. It sits on the top of one of those metal tank screens.

Am I doing something wrong? We’ve used this set up for a long time. I’ll do whatever I need to do if I do something wrong.

He absolutely hates going outside but I do put him by the front window on a sunny day but it’s usually on the weekend.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Exoterra UVB 150 bulb, that is a Solar Glo MVB light?
How often do you give him calcium? Please post pictures of your tank setup also, so we can
see the lighting placement too.

Tracie

laineyhowe

Original Poster
Sure!
Hello,

The Exoterra UVB 150 bulb, that is a Solar Glo MVB light?
How often do you give him calcium? Please post pictures of your tank setup also, so we can
see the lighting placement too.

Tracie
sure!

This is the bulb I just put in there. It’s the same one I’ve been using. I replace them every 6 months.

Per vet instructions I gave him calcium (without vit d) every day for a week then every other day for a week. Currently it’s been past the second week so I’m sticking to the every other day plan until I get further instructions from the vet.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I really do appreciate it. We really love our boy and want him healthy and happy. I definitely want to know if I’m doing something wrong bc I don’t ever want him to suffer.

Attachments

• EECE6F50-5422-47C8-9742-F3A02F14C3A1.jpeg
    EECE6F50-5422-47C8-9742-F3A02F14C3A1.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 5C2C35D2-D324-4BAE-B4C1-04564E0F74E1.jpeg
    5C2C35D2-D324-4BAE-B4C1-04564E0F74E1.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 77
  • ABBB8E07-A585-40EB-8ADB-D6D582F13990.jpeg
    ABBB8E07-A585-40EB-8ADB-D6D582F13990.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 79

laineyhowe

Original Poster
Sure!

sure!

This is the bulb I just put in there. It’s the same one I’ve been using. I replace them every 6 months.

Per vet instructions I gave him calcium (without vit d) every day for a week then every other day for a week. Currently it’s been past the second week so I’m sticking to the every other day plan until I get further instructions from the vet.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I really do appreciate it. We really love our boy and want him healthy and happy. I definitely want to know if I’m doing something wrong bc I don’t ever want him to suffer.
On a side note. He rarely goes to his cool side. Only to poop so that’s why have have his uvb right next to the basking lamp. He loves his hammock and spends most of his time there. If I need to take more pictures let me know and I’m happy to.

We have done the long uvb bulbs in the past but the fixture broke and it was hard to move the lid. I really want to get him a new enclosure (his current one was hand made) so I can go back to the long bulb but on the inside. I like the ones that open in the front. They are more than I can afford right now but I’m going to try and watch for a good sale.

Also he’s a picky eater (I know many are) he does love the beardie buffet rephashy which the vet said was good. Unfortunately though he doesn’t like eating too many greens once I put him on that bc he loves it so much.

Sorry for all the info. I just wanted to put everything I’m doing out there.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
On a side note. He rarely goes to his cool side. Only to poop so that’s why have have his uvb right next to the basking lamp. He loves his hammock and spends most of his time there. If I need to take more pictures let me know and I’m happy to.

We have done the long uvb bulbs in the past but the fixture broke and it was hard to move the lid. I really want to get him a new enclosure (his current one was hand made) so I can go back to the long bulb but on the inside. I like the ones that open in the front. They are more than I can afford right now but I’m going to try and watch for a good sale.

Also he’s a picky eater (I know many are) he does love the beardie buffet rephashy which the vet said was good. Unfortunately though he doesn’t like eating too many greens once I put him on that bc he loves it so much.

Sorry for all the info. I just wanted to put everything I’m doing out there.
Ok please get rid of the coil UVB --- they are no good and inadequate for a UVB---- please get a Zoo Med 24" w /a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 of which I was going to post a link but all my go to places are out of stock this Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb so I am going to suggest this one its a good fixture but you will need to change the bulb out to the 22" Reptisun bulb or a Arcadia 12% bulb https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html --- you can check Pet Smart if you have one in your area for this one or see if you can order it you want the 12% bulb Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Heating & Lighting | PetSmart this is imperative of his overall health -- all of the fixtures I have posted are very good a long w/ the bulbs -- all of these can sit on top of your screen I see its a wide hole type and the T 5's can sit there w/ a distance of 8-10 inches directly above a piece of basking decor ---- please do this right away your dragon is not getting adequate UVB w/ the MVB your using---

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Ok please get rid of the coil UVB --- they are no good and inadequate for a UVB---- please get a Zoo Med 24" w /a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 of which I was going to post a link but all my go to places are out of stock this Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb so I am going to suggest this one its a good fixture but you will need to change the bulb out to the 22" Reptisun bulb or a Arcadia 12% bulb https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html --- you can check Pet Smart if you have one in your area for this one or see if you can order it you want the 12% bulb Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Heating & Lighting | PetSmart this is imperative of his overall health -- all of the fixtures I have posted are very good a long w/ the bulbs -- all of these can sit on top of your screen I see its a wide hole type and the T 5's can sit there w/ a distance of 8-10 inches directly above a piece of basking decor ---- please do this right away your dragon is not getting adequate UVB w/ the MVB your using---
I think they are using a mvb for uvb

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Putting him in the window for natural sun only works if the window glass is open. The glass blocks 100% of the uvb.

laineyhowe

Original Poster
Putting him in the window for natural sun only works if the window glass is open. The glass blocks 100% of the uvb.
Oh yeah, we open the window and there is a screen there. Unfortunately we don’t get to do this often. He enjoys it but we can only do it on a weekend that it’s sunny. Being outside absolutely terrifies him so we stopped doing that.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It's a mercury vapor buld. They are all in ones

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom