Mulberry Farms...problems??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Ok, well I know that both Mulberry and Coastal have been very low on silkworms, but I'm wondering if anybody else is having problems with Mulberry Farm's silkworms? I've been on another forum and people seem to be having problems with them, along with myself. I believe something is going on that they aren't telling us. They were out of silkworms for a few weeks and now they aren't selling anything but eggs and cups...they can't seem to get any large silkworms. Mulberry told me, when I asked why they were so low, that they "had a bad batch", well what was wrong with that batch? I know Coastal isn't selling any medium or large silkies right now either, but I have not ordered from them recently. I am having problems with Mulberry Farm's silkworms and I want to know if anybody else thinks there is a problem with them...or with the silkworms lately, in general.
Thanks,
Abi

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
I have noticed a problem on their webpage ordering any, I ended up ordering some from the silkworm shop but noticed they are not selling in bulk either. I was able to get 50 of them. I might end up having to start breeding roaches.

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
It may just be a problem with my computer at work but when I click to order anything I get a blank page. I was planning on breeding silkworms but need to get other stuff first before I order all those eggs and chow

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'd wait awhile to try breeding...yes silkies can be expensive to start with, but I don't think that'll be the only problem you have if you order now. I'm hoping some others have more information, but from my last experience, I'd hold off a bit.

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
I have also been getting PW and butter worms, and broke down and got some roaches although I have to hide those from the family

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
I have to wait till I am living on my own again to breed roaches, I'm going to be lucky to hide the 75 I'm getting next week.

maxattack

Juvie Member
stephenrose06":ee13c said:
I have to wait till I am living on my own again to breed roaches, I'm going to be lucky to hide the 75 I'm getting next week.

Just stick em' under your bed. No one will know they are there. They don't smell or make any noise. Perfect.

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
amalsg07":a7e41 said:
So...I take it nobody is having problems with Mulberry.....

It's not the worms, it's the meal/food they feed the worms... If the food goes bad it grows bacteria very quickly and will kill off any worms that have eaten the contaminated food. Thus the bacteria is transferred to the worm, and then to your dragon! Please be careful, the same issue happened last year with a few batched of hornworm food, so I would not use silkworms for a while until this "scare" calms down. THE BACTERIA CAN KILL DRAGONS, SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL

Hope all is well!

Anthony

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
beardedwizard":362ca said:
amalsg07":362ca said:

It's not the worms, it's the meal/food they feed the worms... If the food goes bad it grows bacteria very quickly and will kill off any worms that have eaten the contaminated food. Thus the bacteria is transferred to the worm, and then to your dragon! Please be careful, the same issue happened last year with a few batched of hornworm food, so I would not use silkworms for a while until this "scare" calms down. THE BACTERIA CAN KILL DRAGONS, SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL

Hope all is well!

Anthony

Hello Anthony,

I just wanted to say it is not always the food. Silkworms can carry the bad bacteria in their guts and live for a while. Silkies are not the best feeders. I believe their con's out weigh their pro's. I used to sell silkies on the worm room. Once the virus came into the US over two years ago, I quit when my vet and lab said they can harbor the bad stuff and you won't know it for awhile. Meanwhile, you are feeding them off to your pets infecting them. I belong to a yahoo group that raises silkies for their silk. Some people have had issues with them melting in the last few weeks. This tells me that the virus may be back. The virus does not harm your pets but it sets the silkies up to get the bad bacteria. Also if you live in an area that is sprayed to kill gypsy moths, it will also harm your silkies.

If Mulberry Farms is having issues, please think twice about purchasing silkies from anywhere as everyone gets their supplies from them.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
pscaulkins":40878 said:
beardedwizard":40878 said:
amalsg07":40878 said:

Hope all is well!

Anthony

Hello Anthony,

I just wanted to say it is not always the food. Silkworms can carry the bad bacteria in their guts and live for a while. Silkies are not the best feeders. I believe their con's out weigh their pro's. I used to sell silkies on the worm room. Once the virus came into the US over two years ago, I quit when my vet and lab said they can harbor the bad stuff and you won't know it for awhile. Meanwhile, you are feeding them off to your pets infecting them. I belong to a yahoo group that raises silkies for their silk. Some people have had issues with them melting in the last few weeks. This tells me that the virus may be back. The virus does not harm your pets but it sets the silkies up to get the bad bacteria. Also if you live in an area that is sprayed to kill gypsy moths, it will also harm your silkies.

If Mulberry Farms is having issues, please think twice about purchasing silkies from anywhere as everyone gets their supplies from them.
I agree with pscaulkins on this one, Anthony. After a lot of research, I have found this is true, also. It's not always the silkie food and once you have the virus/bacteria it's difficult to get rid of.
As far as the hornworm thing, I read about that also and the worms were not the only factor to consider. If the beardie has a weak immune system, it is more likely that the bacteria will harm your beardie.
That said, I am still keeping the silkies, but I will not be feeding them...for a few reasons that I won't go into. I'm going to see how the ones that did cocoon do and if they produce any eggs. If they do, I'll try to raise that generation to adulthood, see if they cocoon and if they have any symptoms, if not, then decide on using them as a feeder again or not.
After reading so much, looking at published research, ect., I know that it is NOT always to blame on the food. The bacteria that sick worms have can harm your beardie, but in most cases, a healthy beardie will not become sick from the worms. Due to other research I have done (not on just silkies), I do not feel it is worth the risk.
So, there's my two cents for what it's worth,
Abi

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
That said, I am still keeping the silkies, but I will not be feeding them...for a few reasons that I won't go into. I'm going to see how the ones that did cocoon do and if they produce any eggs. If they do, I'll try to raise that generation to adulthood, see if they cocoon and if they have any symptoms, if not, then decide on using them as a feeder again or not.

Not good. Why? Most of the time, the eggs come into the US contaminated. I have personally seen infected silkies cocoon and lay eggs. But the eggs will hatch silkies that have the virus. Let's see if I can remember correctly, if the hatchlings (before 1" long) die both parents carried the virus. If they make it to adult hood and cocoon, only one parent moth had the virus. Silkies can cocoon, mate, lay eggs and still be sick. It's when it goes septis that they die.

I actually had a few silkies cultured a long time ago. I was so surprised by the vets and labs that wanted to do it. They gave me a list of bacteria they can harbor. The few I brought in were clean but was told I may have just not picked the ones carrying it. Anyway, enough said. I am glad people are taking precautions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom