*****Mr. Draper & Ms. Scarlett***(Updated 6/29)***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Draper is our new addition to the family. He's about 12 weeks old, and just hit 10" long. At first he wasn't eating much (got him 2 weeks ago). But now he's doing great! Phoenix worms are his favorite!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=169590 <--- a thread I started about Draper a couple of days after we got him....we were worried and just wanted the best care for him. Thanks for all the help! We're still trying to get him to eat more fruit and veg...

Here are some new pics of Draper.

Every night at around 8:30, Draper gets very sleepy. He loves his blanket.
CIMG0642.JPG

He likes to show off his colors when he's out of the cage.
CIMG0661.JPG

Basking in the morning, he seems to get really dark.
CIMG0668.JPG

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Just weighed Draper and he's up to 612g! :)

Scarlet is sleeping, so I left her alone. She's been a little under the weather lately....maybe? She hasn't eaten much in the past couple of weeks. Has me a little worried, but could possibly be the fall weather we are having.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It could be, it's bothering a lot of dragons, this fall/winter slow down. How old is she now? Mr Draper is really getting big! How long is he now?

I have two dragons that are already in full brumation and two others that are thinking about it :mrgreen:

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":13yrz3rp said:
It could be, it's bothering a lot of dragons, this fall/winter slow down. How old is she now? Mr Draper is really getting big! How long is he now?

I have two dragons that are already in full brumation and two others that are thinking about it :mrgreen:

She's 10.5 month old, and around 17" long....not sure on the weight. I'm guessing 250-270g.

I'll measure Draper tonight.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
she can't go that long without food if she's not bromating in full, so best to start on baby food or just feed her bugs and greens. Even if it's just every other day, she needs nutrition. It's fine not to eat when they fully asleep, but not this way, she'll lose too much weight. I'd say daily baths, too, might help her appetite. A probiotic, too, might help. And add Carnivore Care to baby food squash, if you decide to feed her baby food. I always have some on hand and my boys are all over a year old. I'm feeding 3 of them by hand right now, meaning I put my nail along the front of their mouth to get their mouths open and pop in the bug. It's the only way they'll eat and they're not sleeping yet. This winter slow down part of the year is the pits sometimes. At least I have 2 that are really in brumation, so don't have to worry about them but to give them water.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":3fy43jxq said:
she can't go that long without food if she's not bromating in full, so best to start on baby food or just feed her bugs and greens. Even if it's just every other day, she needs nutrition. It's fine not to eat when they fully asleep, but not this way, she'll lose too much weight. I'd say daily baths, too, might help her appetite. A probiotic, too, might help. And add Carnivore Care to baby food squash, if you decide to feed her baby food. I always have some on hand and my boys are all over a year old. I'm feeding 3 of them by hand right now, meaning I put my nail along the front of their mouth to get their mouths open and pop in the bug. It's the only way they'll eat and they're not sleeping yet. This winter slow down part of the year is the pits sometimes. At least I have 2 that are really in brumation, so don't have to worry about them but to give them water.

We're on it. She's been eating food me make almost everyday. I put some mustard greens, apples, water and acidopholiz in the food processor. She seems to love it...as long as I feed her with a syringe, haha. She also ate a single dubia yesterday, and 6 or 7 small superworms over the past 4 days. She also gets a bath everyday.

We let her out to roam the house once a day, she seems very active when out. But once she gets under some heat in her viv she's content just to lay down and snooze most of the day.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I had a feeling you'd be on top of it, snoozing most of the day under the basking light is just fine :D The 4 dragons I have up spend most of their day under their basking light, especially if there's not sunshine outside. I'm glad she's loving her slurry and not losing any weight, that's the thing over the winter, is for them not to lose weight. Glad she's starting to eat her bugs, too, good sign!

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":2ctzj7ff said:
I had a feeling you'd be on top of it, snoozing most of the day under the basking light is just fine :D The 4 dragons I have up spend most of their day under their basking light, especially if there's not sunshine outside. I'm glad she's loving her slurry and not losing any weight, that's the thing over the winter, is for them not to lose weight. Glad she's starting to eat her bugs, too, good sign!

I've also done a couple of fecal tests on her over the past month, thinking that she could possibly be sick, but they were clean.

Draper on the other hand is very active, he's the picture of health. He's come a long way from being a sick little guy a year ago. We call him 'the king' because he always stands up so tall and proud.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm so glad she's clear of parasites, that's a big one right there. And Mr Draper is now King Draper? Such a difference, he's got a great weight on him and I'm glad he's active.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Here's an update. Scarlet is eating more....however, she will only eat super worms. We order small supers for Scarlet, and large supers for Draper. We wanted to vary their diet, so they get phoenix worms, super worms and dubia.

I feel apprehensive to feed Scarlet solely supers, because I don't want her to get impacted. She's almost 17" and 235g. So she has lost a few grams since the last time I weighed her. She wont even look at dubia anymore, no matter what size. As soon as I drop a super in her viv, she's all over it.

I think she's been on a hunger strike! :p

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I've been feeding my adults supers for 6 years now and I've never had a problem with impaction. The shells are easy to digest and they have lots of meat on them. Titan, my year old beardie, was only eating dubia and now he wants supers more, so I have a huge dubia colony that is not reducing, so I'm hoping he'll change his mind soon.

So I wouldn't worry about Scarlett, she's old enough to eat them, just keep an eye out for her pooping & that there aren't large pieces of the worm in it. If you feel she needs to have a poop, give her canned pumpkin without the spices. It seems to do the trick to get the insides rolling, so to speak, I've used it with success for years. What I do, is when I open a can, whatever isn't used (and it can be given daily, it's a squash so is a recommended daily veggie), I freeze in ice cube trays, then put the squares in freezer bags. Then I take out two squares whenever I need it.

So give it a try, may as well, they will put weight on her, too. Let me know how she does.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I did end up getting some carnivore care...I mix it with pumpkin, and she loves it!

Scarlet is still being lazy, but she is eating pretty good now. She picks out the supers, and leaves the dubia.

However, she hasn't poo'd in a while. I give her a warm bath every night, but no luck!

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Zy doesn't like to poo. She REFUSES to poo in the bath - she seems to have the easiest time going on my couch. You could try that. :lol:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Step up the baths, the pumpkin should help, but try massaging her tummy from chest to vent, over and over, sometimes that will cause them to poop. I had a friend with 3 beardies that hadn't gone for ages, she did this for 1/2 an hour with each & it worked great. Said she'll never let it go that long again.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Well at least she pooped! We had a sunny day yesterday and I have a beardie proofed balcony, so two of my boys decided they wanted out & pooped out there. Easy clean up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom