Moving to US from Canada with beardie.

LadyBarber8907

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Odinn
I rescued a 6 year old beardie in January and am completely attached. In fact, he was supposed to originally be a temp visitor in my home while his keepers were abroad. However, they can’t believe how much he has been thriving in my care and we are now discussing the option of him becoming a permanent part of our family. Before I can commit to this, I’m needing to find info on moving from Canada to the US with the lil guy. We will either be moving to Indiana or Florida (US) from Alberta (CA). What kind of paperwork is involved, and where can I find current and accurate info? When I try to research online, I’m being sent in 3 different directions and dates on these documents are like 5 or more years old. If anyone has personal experience in this situation, I would love your feedback and advice!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I rescued a 6 year old beardie in January and am completely attached. In fact, he was supposed to originally be a temp visitor in my home while his keepers were abroad. However, they can’t believe how much he has been thriving in my care and we are now discussing the option of him becoming a permanent part of our family. Before I can commit to this, I’m needing to find info on moving from Canada to the US with the lil guy. We will either be moving to Indiana or Florida (US) from Alberta (CA). What kind of paperwork is involved, and where can I find current and accurate info? When I try to research online, I’m being sent in 3 different directions and dates on these documents are like 5 or more years old. If anyone has personal experience in this situation, I would love your feedback and advice!
One of these people might be able to help
@AHBD
@Drache613
@CooperDragon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko

LadyBarber8907

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Odinn
Are you driving or flying ? If you are flying with him you need to call the airlines ahead of time to see if he can fly with you. You would hopefully be able to have him in the cabin with you. Another option would be if you have a friend or family member living where you are relocating. Then you could ship him through a special company that does that like Ship Your Reptiles - Ship Live Reptiles Easily, Securely and Affordably
Or Reptile Express Canada | Reptile Shipping and Supplies
We will be driving as we also have 2 cats and a small dog. My whole family actually lives in central Illinois, as I’m from there myself. I hadn’t thought about shipping him, that’s brilliant. Would the requirements not be the same though? Like if he comes with us, or goes with someone else? Or is that a perk of using these services… they take care of the import papers for us?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The company takes care of everything. They send you the actual shipping supplies that you need and will walk you through it, they use Fedex overnight priority. If you'd rather keep your beardie to drive with with you I don't think it will be a problem but you can call the shipping company, they probably know that as well.

LadyBarber8907

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Odinn
The company takes care of everything. They send you the actual shipping supplies that you need and will walk you through it, they use Fedex overnight priority. If you'd rather keep your beardie to drive with with you I don't think it will be a problem but you can call the shipping company, they probably know that as well.
Thank you so much, this is definitely the most helpful source I’ve been able to come across. Much appreciated! I’m so happy to have found this great community!

LadyBarber8907

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Odinn
You're welcome, please update when you find out what you'll be doing or when you get to the new place !
It will be at least a year and a half before we move, but it’s definite. Just finishing up our degrees first! I will more than likely be committing to keeping Odinn in our family though, as this process isn’t nearly as difficult as I was expecting. I just wanted to thoroughly investigate before giving his original parents an answer as they are also wonderful keepers. We really are making this about Odinn and whatever will give him the best rest of his life. Of course, I’m biased and obviously think that’s with me wherever I am haha.

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Your best bet would be to visit the Canadian and US customs websites to find out what would be necessary paperwork to move to the US. Like with dogs and cats, you'll need to provide proof of good health, I'm assuming. I don't know what else would be required, but the customs websites should have all the pertinent information.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom