moving lump in lower right side of tummy

Beardie name(s)
Elijah and Tyrion
Hello, I have noticed a really big lump 'inside' my male bearded dragon. (he is my profile picture)
It's located on the lower right (around his leg where his kidney should be), I would take pictures but it's only noticeable when I feel on him. It's definately large, and kinda flat too.

I can wiggle the lump around with my fingers. I dont think it's an impaction as he pooped normally and he is eating well, and he is also very alert and still enjoys being held.
He is definately stressed out. His whole body is dark sometimes but returns normal after a while, he seems to be fine, isnt agitated or acting abnormally outside of the color changes and feeling on the lump dosnt seem to upset him either.

I'm going to set up an appointment as soon as I can on monday but everything is closed on the weekends, and since he is alert, eating and pooping normally. I'm going to avoid an emergency visit due to the fact his behavior is the same.
Still, I'm concerned. Any idea what it could be? ):

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
I noticed that if my beardie doesn’t fully chew his food up like apples I can feel pieces (chunks) in his stomach. If there are quite a few I stick him in warm water and massage his stomach to help work them down and he will poop them out.

Heliosgoldensun1990@gmail

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Elijah and Tyrion
I noticed that if my beardie doesn’t fully chew his food up like apples I can feel pieces (chunks) in his stomach. If there are quite a few I stick him in warm water and massage his stomach to help work them down and he will poop them out.
I gave him a bath this morning and rubbed his belly, he just kinda vibed in my hands after swimming around for a bit.

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Elijah and Tyrion
Does it feel like it could be a piece of food and how long has it been there? I notice it more in my baby.
No, this lump is really big. like an inch, as to how long it's been there I cant tell you, I'm unsure. I feel so awful about that.
It's hard, and I can move it up, down, and side to side with my fingers. He seems unbothered by it, but I can't get over how I didnt notice it until now!
I'm definately going to set up a vet appointment on monday.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is very interesting. It doesn't seem to hurt or bother him right now?
The lump is just on the one side correct? If it moves then it definitely isn't a kidney or anything
like that.
It is possible that it is just material that needs to pass through, but not sure. Since you are going
to take him into the vets, they can get an x-ray done to see if something is going on. Hopefully, it
isn't anything serious.
Is he eating normally as well?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Elijah and Tyrion
I took him to the vet today. Got lucky they had an appointment this morning! Dropped him off and they loved him, no news yet however.
They asked me how old he was and I said "8 years"" and they were shocked and told me "Thats the oldest dragon we have seen!"
is 8 years really that old? I thought they lived to be 25. I was going into owning a bearded dragon thinking this little guy would be with me until I'm 50+ years old. :oops:

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Elijah and Tyrion
Hello,

That is very interesting. It doesn't seem to hurt or bother him right now?
The lump is just on the one side correct? If it moves then it definitely isn't a kidney or anything
like that.
It is possible that it is just material that needs to pass through, but not sure. Since you are going
to take him into the vets, they can get an x-ray done to see if something is going on. Hopefully, it
isn't anything serious.
Is he eating normally as well?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
yes, he went to the vet today. They were feeling around on him. He isnt bothered by the lump at all. They are doing X-rays right now cause they want to make sure HE isnt a SHE and eggbound.
If he is, it's the first time in 8 years he has produced one. I'm hoping he just needs to take a big fat poo. I'll post an update when they contact me.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm Sorry to hear that, hopfully it goes well. We will all be pulling for him.
10 to 12 is average life span. Depending on the individual and their care.

Jessss

Vet just called, it's a large mass that will have to be removed by surgery. ):
Best of luck,so sorry that he’s having these issues! Surgery can be risky but normally is fine if the dragon is healthy,the recovery can be hard.My girl bee was spayed in may and she took a while to get back to normal.Might also be a good idea to get a biopsy on the mass if not already suggested and if you are able to afford it after the surgery.I know surgery sounds very scary but it happens more than you think and is generally safe as long as the vet doing the surgery knows what they’re doing anaesthetic wise.I think everything will go great and am glad that he’s having it removed very good that you got him to a vet as soon as you noticed it!Please keep us updated on the little guy,did they say what they think it may be?

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Elijah and Tyrion
I'm Sorry to hear that, hopfully it goes well. We will all be pulling for him.
10 to 12 is average life span. Depending on the individual and their care.
I rescued him when he was 4 years old. Fed him water through a syringe. He is a tough guy and been through a lot. Thank you for checking in!

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Elijah and Tyrion
Best of luck,so sorry that he’s having these issues! Surgery can be risky but normally is fine if the dragon is healthy,the recovery can be hard.My girl bee was spayed in may and she took a while to get back to normal.Might also be a good idea to get a biopsy on the mass if not already suggested and if you are able to afford it after the surgery.I know surgery sounds very scary but it happens more than you think and is generally safe as long as the vet doing the surgery knows what they’re doing anaesthetic wise.I think everything will go great and am glad that he’s having it removed very good that you got him to a vet as soon as you noticed it!Please keep us updated on the little guy,did they say what they think it may be?
Yea, I'll ask for a biopsy to be done. I'm a bit worried on surgery just cause he is a small animal, but I have faith he will be treated well. They said it's same day surgery, so it hopefully wont be terrible and I cleaned the heck out of his viv so it's nice and clean for him to heal up in.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Please keep us posted. I swear if it's not bad enough i never stop worrying about my dragons, i worry about everyone elses to lol especially the rescues! :)

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom