Mouth sore HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
As he was basking today I noticed this ulcer like thing on his bottom gum and am so worried. I'm calling the vet first thing in the morning. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? He is still eating his bugs but not really touching his greens. He isn't basking as much and prefers to just hang out in his hide. I was thinking possibly brumation but after seeing this I'm wondering if it hurts him. Ughhh I'm so worried. I made a collage to show the difference. I rescued him in November and he got a great health check from his vet in December. I have never given him fruit, until last week he ate a blackberry. Just one. Could that have caused this???

Attachments

• inCollage_20220306_194107517.jpg
    inCollage_20220306_194107517.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 111
  • 20220306_131541.jpg
    20220306_131541.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220306_131507.jpg
    20220306_131507.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 75

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor guy, but no, a piece of fruit wouldn't do this. He may have bitten on something hard + sharp or there's a very slight possibility that a superworm or dubia may have bitten him. What types of insects does he eat ? Your vet will likely be able to help him out. He sure is a pretty yellow !

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So there's a very slight possibility of a superworm bite but I doubt that there's any way to know it for sure. Hopefully your vet can fix him up ASAP.

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
So there's a very slight possibility of a superworm bite but I doubt that there's any way to know it for sure. Hopefully your vet can fix him up ASAP.
So he had to be dropped off at the vet. They put him under a light sedation and cleaned out the abcess. He is home and is on injectable antibiotics for 2 weeks. He slept after I brought him home, even under his lights. Poor lil man. I was about ready to start my own superworm colony too, but now I'm worried that this might have caused this because nothing else makes sense dangit

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to hear that you got it taken care of so quickly ! Don't be worried about superworms, I've used them for over 20 years with a number of different reptiles and never had a problem. It's VERY unlikely that is what caused he problem and if you feel nervous using them you can just slightly crush the head right before feeding them.

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Good to hear that you got it taken care of so quickly ! Don't be worried about superworms, I've used them for over 20 years with a number of different reptiles and never had a problem. It's VERY unlikely that is what caused he problem and if you feel nervous using them you can just slightly crush the head right before feeding them.
Thank you. He is slowly getting back to his normal self. He is eating here and there. Working on trying to get him to eat more greens, because admittedly, I have been feeding him a good bit of bugs to try to help up his weight a couple months ago. Now that he is at a good weight I think he is protesting the salads despite me adding bee pollen and other yummies to it. They sure are stubborn lil things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom