Mouth Rot??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffymist16

Hello, I have a 3 year old Bearded Dragon named Flare. I noticed this afternoon he had some brown stuff on the side of his mouth.
108013-4422881808.jpg
If you guys can see the image, thats what I saw today. Then afterwards I gave him a bath and took a toothpick and got the brown stuff off. But it looked pink and irritated. Also noticed when he opens his mouth he has some black brownish stuff on his bottom teeth.
108013-3778058528.jpg
108013-9908084757.jpg
Does it look like mouth rot? should I take him to the vet? What can i use to try to clean and reduce irritation on the inside lip?
I saw online that you can take warm water , sea salt and baking powder mixture and wipe his mouth, has anybody tried that or know if its safe?
Thank you very much for replies, Over the 3 years he never had any problems...I'm not sure to seek medical attention or if i can treat it cause it not so bad. He is still eating and very alert and active.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That isn't mouth rot, no. A lot of them tend to get some staining on their teeth, that is normal.
You can get some betadine, & dilute it down until it resembles weak tea. Then you can use
either a swab or a toothbrush dipped in the solution, to try & clean his teeth & gums.
Has he eaten anything that might have dried on his gums, initially?
Does he have a good appetite also?

Tracie

Tiffymist16

Original Poster
Yes he his a very picking eater. He eats super worms, horn worms, kale and mustard greens. Sometimes get a treat of blueberries. The sides of his mouth looks very pinkish red this morning and the brown stuff coming again on the side of mouth. Extra droll it looks as well.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, use the method that Tracie mentioned but never use a toothpick. That can easily cause damage to the gums or if your dragon moves quickly you could jab him badly. Use a cotton swab or soft baby toothbrush. BTW, his diet is not bad. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom