Mouth Rot not healing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattBuckley45

Original Poster
CooperDragon":rideojqy said:
I agree that some more photos would be helpful. From what I see in the photos, I agree with the others that it doesn't look bad. The soft jaw is concerning, but I don't see signs of mouth rot. Their mouths don't always line up perfectly and a bit of extra tissue around the edges of their mouth is not uncommon. Did the vet take x-rays to verify bone density?

I've included a couple of photos of Dundee for reference that show moderate stomatitis. You can see the redness and how his lips curled and swelled all the way around. More wounded looking than what I see in the photos you posted earlier.

76248-7766287410.jpg

76248-7266999376.jpg

Thank you for your reply. Thanks for the photos - I think Joey has that with the curled lips maybe less severe? The vet didn’t do an X-ray as far as I know - I wasn’t allowed in because of covid. I’m going to attach lots more photos taken just now (excuse the green around her mouth I just gave her a healthy slurry).
91699-9297982719.jpg
91699-3898122977.jpg
91699-9191947467.jpg
91699-8345296755.jpg
91699-2694475977.jpg
91699-8824001373.jpg

Vets tomorrow so hopefully we can do more tests. Please let me know what you think.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I see the gums swelling out a little bit. It's more than usual, but doesn't look severe. I would probably try an oral cleanser along the gums and teeth for a while and see how it responds to that. It's a mild treatment that is less likely to cause harm than antibiotics etc. https://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-dental-...834/maxi-guard-oral-cleansing-gel-60ml-p-3261 It looks like it is carried in the UK on multiple sites.

I would be hesitant to over treat this issue, since the gums themselves may not get worse or cause a problem. My main concern is if the jaw bone is squishy or if it is hard and well formed. Squishy or rubbery bone would likely indicate a problem. If the jaw is solid and it's just the gum tissue that is squishy, that is less of a concern in my mind.

MattBuckley45

Original Poster
CooperDragon":23mw4jnp said:
I see the gums swelling out a little bit. It's more than usual, but doesn't look severe. I would probably try an oral cleanser along the gums and teeth for a while and see how it responds to that. It's a mild treatment that is less likely to cause harm than antibiotics etc. https://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-dental-...834/maxi-guard-oral-cleansing-gel-60ml-p-3261 It looks like it is carried in the UK on multiple sites.

I would be hesitant to over treat this issue, since the gums themselves may not get worse or cause a problem. My main concern is if the jaw bone is squishy or if it is hard and well formed. Squishy or rubbery bone would likely indicate a problem. If the jaw is solid and it's just the gum tissue that is squishy, that is less of a concern in my mind.

I’ll buy that - I have used tamodine on it - is that a spin of iodine? You said you can see it slightly and it can be pretty common - do you think it’s still mouth rot? I agree I wouldn’t want to put her through medication but at the same time hate the thought of her being in pain. Would you recommend asking for a mouth culture to see what it comes back with - could it come back ‘negative’ in a sense and show it isn’t mouth rot? Would you also suggest testing for bone density on the jaw?
I’ll order some of that maxi guard gel - hopefully that will help!
Thanks again.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't really see any abnormality , the very slightest overbite but that is not even showing in most of the pics. Is Joey eating regularly ? And how old is he, sorry I forgot if you mentioned. Is your uvb bulb more than 6 months old ? BTW I personally would not have a biopsy done for this.

MattBuckley45

Original Poster
AHBD":gr2nj7at said:
I don't really see any abnormality , the very slightest overbite but that is not even showing in most of the pics. Is Joey eating regularly ? And how old is he, sorry I forgot if you mentioned. Is your uvb bulb more than 6 months old ? BTW I personally would not have a biopsy done for this.

Yeah she eats bugs pretty normally and ate greens today and yesterday no problem. Is a biopsy and a culture the same thing? Why wouldn’t you if so? Is it unpleasant for her? What would you do with the vet visit tomorrow? I want to avoid another set of antibiotics without truly finding what/if there’s an issue.
Yes I replace my UV every 6 months :). And she is (called her Joey before I knew she was a girl!) about four years old now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If a culture could be done just by swabbing it might be fine but a biopsy might require a snip of tissue , maybe under anesthesia. I wish you could get a pic of the inside of Joey's mouth .[ Joey's a fine name for a girl BTW :) ] Is there any way you can get a good pic ? Or can you find any online pics that are very similar to what her open mouth looks like ? If she's eating then I really doubt there's mouth rot, it would interfere with her chewing because of pain and feeling ill from infection.

MattBuckley45

Original Poster
AHBD":pcexss0a said:
If a culture could be done just by swabbing it might be fine but a biopsy might require a snip of tissue , maybe under anesthesia. I wish you could get a pic of the inside of Joey's mouth .[ Joey's a fine name for a girl BTW :) ] Is there any way you can get a good pic ? Or can you find any online pics that are very similar to what her open mouth looks like ? If she's eating then I really doubt there's mouth rot, it would interfere with her chewing because of pain and feeling ill from infection.

Okay I’ll make sure to ask about that to the vets. What would you do? Here are some pics I’ve managed to get of inside Joeys mouth! Please let me know what you think.
91699-9805252878.jpg
91699-1422011932.jpg
91699-3752740566.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't think there's infection but the jaw itself just looks more narrow than most I've seen. Nothing red and no pus to be seen. I really don't see anything wrong and if Joey's eating I'd leave her alone and not get any type of procedure.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that the tissue looks healthy. It may just be a genetic feature rather than a problem. I also agree that if she is eating without an issue, then it probably isn't bothering her and might be best left alone.

MattBuckley45

Original Poster
Hi guys! Vet basically said similar to you guys and agreed she should be fine but to keep and eye on her. And continue doing everything I’m doing which is reassuring :) glad I don’t have to bother her with more antibiotics! Thank you for all your help - maybe just a genetic thing as you suggested. Appreciate all your comments and help you guys are the best :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom