Mouth Problems and Impaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone I have a ten month old bearded dragon that’s been with me 9 months. I’m a fairly new bearded dragon owner so I do have a couple of concerns. Today while I was giving pascal (my bearded dragon) a bath I noticed that he had something black in his teeth. I think it looks like plaque but I just want to double check and see if it’s not mouth rot. Also, he didn’t want to eat for two days until today, and he hasn’t pooped in a week so I am a little worried. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

(P.S I gave him reptiaid today to see if it will help)

Attachments

• 8B3DA3CE-C56D-47BD-8FE5-19ACD8B32B6A.jpeg
    8B3DA3CE-C56D-47BD-8FE5-19ACD8B32B6A.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 124
  • DDF3B06D-FF90-4046-8DAD-5662B41E68E4.jpeg
    DDF3B06D-FF90-4046-8DAD-5662B41E68E4.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 95

SupahBeardieFan

(i am fairly new to bearded dragon keeping so take this with a t o n of salt) not literally of course. But for impactions i found that applying extra virgin olive oil to their lips (just a drop or 2) for them to lick can help them. Read this online and tried it myself, you can generally feed them small amounts of natural room temp prune juice to stimulate their bowels. After applying olive oil, feeding prune juice and giving a warm bath to my impacted beardie, he promptly unleashed a Massive BM and stopped being impacted. If you have reason to believe your beardie ate a foreign object, especially something bigger than the gap between their eyes this could be a cause for concern, also if you could tell me what his diet consists of that would be great.

REMEMBER everything i tell you to do should be researched on the internet, i have only had them for about a year and im still learning,

i do not want to be responsible for the injury of a beardie, here is the vid

skip to 0:56 to avoid the banter.

i was lucky to have the same brand of prune juice in my store, so if you dont have that brand, just look for 100% prune juice, as for the olive oil : Ultimate Guide to Bearded Dragon Impaction: Signs, Treatments, & More , to summarize:

"Olive Oil

To help move things along, consider putting a couple drops of olive oil on your dragon’s nose for them to lick off. It is very important that you don’t opt for vegetable oil, however, just olive oil." though i highly encourage you to read it yourself in case i missed something. also either method for giving olive oil works, yet i encourage how the vid does it, if it seems more imminent. Best of luck, this should not be major cuase for concern, and i hope to see him get better... :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi, everyone I have a ten month old bearded dragon that’s been with me 9 months. I’m a fairly new bearded dragon owner so I do have a couple of concerns. Today while I was giving pascal (my bearded dragon) a bath I noticed that he had something black in his teeth. I think it looks like plaque but I just want to double check and see if it’s not mouth rot. Also, he didn’t want to eat for two days until today, and he hasn’t pooped in a week so I am a little worried. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

(P.S I gave him reptiaid today to see if it will help)
The dragons mouth looks ok but we can have CooperDragon take a look -- as far as impaction you can feed canned plain pumpkin or unsweetened applesauce -- as they get older they tend to poop less just make sure hes hydrated you can rinse his greens before serving and make sure the insects are gutloaded as well -- please do not feed any insect bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- make sure your basking temps are surface temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and No coils for UVB all this is impartive for proper digestion
@CooperDragon

Pascalisdope

Original Poster
(i am fairly new to bearded dragon keeping so take this with a t o n of salt) not literally of course. But for impactions i found that applying extra virgin olive oil to their lips (just a drop or 2) for them to lick can help them. Read this online and tried it myself, you can generally feed them small amounts of natural room temp prune juice to stimulate their bowels. After applying olive oil, feeding prune juice and giving a warm bath to my impacted beardie, he promptly unleashed a Massive BM and stopped being impacted. If you have reason to believe your beardie ate a foreign object, especially something bigger than the gap between their eyes this could be a cause for concern, also if you could tell me what his diet consists of that would be great.

REMEMBER everything i tell you to do should be researched on the internet, i have only had them for about a year and im still learning,

i do not want to be responsible for the injury of a beardie, here is the vid

skip to 0:56 to avoid the banter.

i was lucky to have the same brand of prune juice in my store, so if you dont have that brand, just look for 100% prune juice, as for the olive oil : Ultimate Guide to Bearded Dragon Impaction: Signs, Treatments, & More , to summarize:

"Olive Oil

To help move things along, consider putting a couple drops of olive oil on your dragon’s nose for them to lick off. It is very important that you don’t opt for vegetable oil, however, just olive oil." though i highly encourage you to read it yourself in case i missed something. also either method for giving olive oil works, yet i encourage how the vid does it, if it seems more imminent. Best of luck, this should not be major cuase for concern, and i hope to see him get better... :D
The dragons mouth looks ok but we can have CooperDragon take a look -- as far as impaction you can feed canned plain pumpkin or unsweetened applesauce -- as they get older they tend to poop less just make sure hes hydrated you can rinse his greens before serving and make sure the insects are gutloaded as well -- please do not feed any insect bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- make sure your basking temps are surface temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and No coils for UVB all this is impartive for proper digestion
@CooperDragon
Hi, I was looking at his mouth a little more and I think it might be plaque I read that raw pumpkin and carrots can help get rid of that. I might try to brush his teeth but I don’t think he’s going to let me. As for Impaction I will try the canned pumpkin to see if it’ll help. Thank you! And his temps are good, he has uvb but it’s not coil it’s the other type I forget what it’s called. And he is pretty hydrated, if I say so. Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi, I was looking at his mouth a little more and I think it might be plaque I read that raw pumpkin and carrots can help get rid of that. I might try to brush his teeth but I don’t think he’s going to let me. As for Impaction I will try the canned pumpkin to see if it’ll help. Thank you! And his temps are good, he has uvb but it’s not coil it’s the other type I forget what it’s called. And he is pretty hydrated, if I say so. Thank you!
What uvb are you using brand and bulb look on bulb please look for T 5 or T 8 these two have different placement and distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom