Morph/Color/Pattern?

Orchid66

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blitz
My family adopted this 6 year old bearded dragon last month. His name is Blitz. He's our first beardie. He was at our local reptile shop for over a year after another reptile shop closed down. We decided to adopt him after seeing him multiple times being held by customers but never taken home (we have a crestie). He's so chill and loves to be with his people. He's helped one of my sons feel more comfortable reading out loud. In the short time we've had him, he's become a part of our family and the boys want to learn everything they can about Blitz, to include his coloring. I was told he was used for breeding by the previous shop. They said he is a leatherback morph and was named Blitz after his pattern/color. I didn't write down exactly what they said, thinking I'd be able to look it up. That is proving more difficult than I anticipated. It doesn't really matter but for the love of science, knowledge and just plain curiosity, our family would love to know. Is he a leatherback? Does his name signify anything to do with his appearance? Any info is greatly appreciated!
IMG_20230301_164554954_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230301_164526229.jpg
IMG_20230301_164520834.jpg
IMG_20230301_164758489_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230105_155251980~2.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
H there, Blitz is a leatherback with no other visible morph. As for color, that is what you see, in other words tan/brown and the pattern is common. So you'd call Blitz a leatherback and the color is evident.
It's nice to hear how he fits in to your family, seems like he's a calm and used to being handled.

One interesting thing about leatherbacks is that when they breed with a normal scaled dragon [ non leatherback ] a portion of the babies will always be leatherback and the rest will be normal scaled. If they breed with another leatherback [ which is highly discouraged ] they produce leatherbacks, normals and the controversial silkback all in the same clutch. A silkback has smooth skin, no scales. Because the silkbacks skin is much more fragile, the breeding of 2 leatherbacks is highly discouraged.

So there's some info that the kids might find interesting. BTW are you positive that Blitz is a male ?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Going out on a limb here, but the name Blitz could be because he is het for witblitz. (Het means he carries the gentics for a trait but it isn't visibly displayed) since witblitz is a recessive trait (meaning it take both parents carrying it for it to be displayed) you would have to breed him with a known witblitz to prove him out.
Witblitz is a very pretty morph, they are earth tones with no pattern at all. When bread with another that has a lot of color they produce dragons without a pattern but that have gorgeous colored panels on there sides and face.
If he was being used as a sire I'm inclined to believe he will carry some hets, the leatherback morph alone probably wouldn't land him the role of a sire.

Orchid66

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blitz
H there, Blitz is a leatherback with no other visible morph. As for color, that is what you see, in other words tan/brown and the pattern is common. So you'd call Blitz a leatherback and the color is evident.
It's nice to hear how he fits in to your family, seems like he's a calm and used to being handled.

One interesting thing about leatherbacks is that when they breed with a normal scaled dragon [ non leatherback ] a portion of the babies will always be leatherback and the rest will be normal scaled. If they breed with another leatherback [ which is highly discouraged ] they produce leatherbacks, normals and the controversial silkback all in the same clutch. A silkback has smooth skin, no scales. Because the silkbacks skin is much more fragile, the breeding of 2 leatherbacks is highly discouraged.

So there's some info that the kids might find interesting. BTW are you positive that Blitz is a male ?
Thanks for the info. I'm positive I was told he's male:) What makes you think he may not be? He (she?...lol) is a big baby. He loves to sleep in the hood of hooded sweatshirts.

Orchid66

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blitz
Going out on a limb here, but the name Blitz could be because he is het for witblitz. (Het means he carries the gentics for a trait but it isn't visibly displayed) since witblitz is a recessive trait (meaning it take both parents carrying it for it to be displayed) you would have to breed him with a known witblitz to prove him out.
Witblitz is a very pretty morph, they are earth tones with no pattern at all. When bread with another that has a lot of color they produce dragons without a pattern but that have gorgeous colored panels on there sides and face.
If he was being used as a sire I'm inclined to believe he will carry some hets, the leatherback morph alone probably wouldn't land him the role of a sire.
Interesting! Thanks for the info!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Im guessing the reason AHBD asked is the head shape, it isn't always accurate but males typically have a rounder meatier head. Females have the triangular heads. (The males bite that area to hang on during mating)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes because of the shape of the head, although I have had males with smaller heads but it's not that common. Another way to sex them is just looking in that area for the hemipene bulges [ or lack of them. ] I only mention this because Blitz was given to you by someone that was relying on what someone else said. So they are not the original owner and might not have bothered to check.

And while it's possible that Blitz is het. for something, there's not any proof because again, someone else gave this dragon to the person before you. So Blitz can simply be called a leatherback, no speculation beyond that at all.
Here's what to look for to sex him [ I agree it's most likely a he ] but having it confirmed is always better than being unsure.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good job, I think you're right ! It's always good to check because Blitz was given to the 2nd owner and just relied on what they were told and they either forgot to check or were too busy. Could have been an honest mistake but now you know. :)

Orchid66

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blitz
What a fun adventure! Thanks for all the help. I'm actually kinda glad to have another girl in the house (mother of three boys here)o_O.

Attachments

• IMG_20230225_192425287_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20230225_192425287_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20230225_192139231_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230225_192139231_HDR.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 56

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Blitz is definitely a girl! She is beautiful & a leatherback also. I see AHBD has given you tons of
information on the morph & genetic lines of leatherback, as she is highly knowledgeable on these
topics.
That's a great picture of her with your son. :)

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom