More poop problems!

hakusmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haku
Hi guys, I’ve come here yet again because Haku hasn’t pooped in about a week. I can tell that he needs to, but he can’t. He doesn’t have any sign of parasites, his eyes aren’t cloudy and his tummy is pretty full. I don’t think it’s impaction either, there’s no bumps along his spine, he’s walking around normally and he hasn’t regurgitated anything. He doesn’t seem to be in pain. I seriously have no idea what to do, it’s Sunday so all of the vets are closed. I’ve given him baths every day, his temperatures are perfect and so is his uvb. He’s slowly been losing his appetite which I think is natural for a beardie who hasn’t pooped in awhile. My last resort is syringe feeding him a mixture of the green slurry I made and olive oil. If he doesn’t poop today, hopefully I can get my mom to take him to the vet since I am still attending school. Another thing to note is that his usual poops when he did poop often were big, mushy piles when I think they’re supposed to be log shaped. Is there anything else I should put into consideration? Please help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi guys, I’ve come here yet again because Haku hasn’t pooped in about a week. I can tell that he needs to, but he can’t. He doesn’t have any sign of parasites, his eyes aren’t cloudy and his tummy is pretty full. I don’t think it’s impaction either, there’s no bumps along his spine, he’s walking around normally and he hasn’t regurgitated anything. He doesn’t seem to be in pain. I seriously have no idea what to do, it’s Sunday so all of the vets are closed. I’ve given him baths every day, his temperatures are perfect and so is his uvb. He’s slowly been losing his appetite which I think is natural for a beardie who hasn’t pooped in awhile. My last resort is syringe feeding him a mixture of the green slurry I made and olive oil. If he doesn’t poop today, hopefully I can get my mom to take him to the vet since I am still attending school. Another thing to note is that his usual poops when he did poop often were big, mushy piles when I think they’re supposed to be log shaped. Is there anything else I should put into consideration? Please help!
Let him poop on his own------ how old is the dragon? It is not unusual for dragons to go long periods of time w/ out pooping -- if hes got good UVB and good surface basking temps he will go ---- make sure hes hydrated that will help --- if your concerned then feed him some baby food pumpkin w/ a drop of olive oil and a drop of honey for taste - feed till he poops- you DO NOT want a vet giving a enema --- they can often end in disaster ---- let him poop on his own!!

hakusmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haku
Let him poop on his own------ how old is the dragon? It is not unusual for dragons to go long periods of time w/ out pooping -- if hes got good UVB and good surface basking temps he will go ---- make sure hes hydrated that will help --- if your concerned then feed him some baby food pumpkin w/ a drop of olive oil and a drop of honey for taste - feed till he poops- you DO NOT want a vet giving a enema --- they can often end in disaster ---- let him poop on his own!!
He’s 9 months old.. I’ve been leaving him be and checking on him every so often. The honey is a great idea! I unfortunately don’t have any pumpkin with me right now but I will mix some in with the slurry. It’s defrosting right now, I will do that as soon as it’s defrosted. I’ve been trying to feed him but he isn’t taking any bugs. So I’m hoping the slurry with olive oil and honey will do the trick! Should I try the vet anyway to see if he has parasites or impaction? I will not let them give him an enema.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He’s 9 months old.. I’ve been leaving him be and checking on him every so often. The honey is a great idea! I unfortunately don’t have any pumpkin with me right now but I will mix some in with the slurry. It’s defrosting right now, I will do that as soon as it’s defrosted. I’ve been trying to feed him but he isn’t taking any bugs. So I’m hoping the slurry with olive oil and honey will do the trick! Should I try the vet anyway to see if he has parasites or impaction? I will not let them give him an enema.
You can take a fecal in to them for testing --- what is the main staple feeder? Are you feeding salads or just insects?

hakusmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haku
You can take a fecal in to them for testing --- what is the main staple feeder? Are you feeding salads or just insects?
Staple feeders are dubias. I recently tried BSFL again and he seems to like them. I try salads, but he will not take anything green at all! I resort to slurries and sneaking leaves in when he eats bugs. Also, he pooped. He seems to do so every time I post on here for help! Lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Staple feeders are dubias. I recently tried BSFL again and he seems to like them. I try salads, but he will not take anything green at all! I resort to slurries and sneaking leaves in when he eats bugs. Also, he pooped. He seems to do so every time I post on here for help! Lol
Take the BSFL and put them on top of his salads -- use them as lures to the bowl

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So is he doing better now? At his age, they do start to slow down some & don't go to the bathroom
as often, either. I am glad to hear the honey & pumpkin worked for him. It is hard getting them to eat
their greens & veggies but keep trying with him. Eventually he will start to recognize the salad, as a
food source.

Tracie

hakusmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haku
Hello,

Any updates for us on your dragon so far?

Tracie
Hi! Sorry for the late reply, I’ve just been all over the place recently
And yes, as for updates. He is pooping at least once per week now. I consider this normal, since I’ve reduced his diet to 10 dubias and 3 superworms a day while the rest is veggie. I am on the fence about this diet since he is only 10 months old, but I have been doing this so he will learn to eat his veggies. So far, it seems to be working as he is picking at them when I’m not looking, so I intend to continue this “diet.” I’m not entirely sure if this is a good idea, though. Thoughts?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
And yes, as for updates. He is pooping at least once per week now. I consider this normal, since I’ve reduced his diet to 10 dubias and 3 superworms a day while the rest is veggie. I am on the fence about this diet since he is only 10 months old, but I have been doing this so he will learn to eat his veggies. So far, it seems to be working as he is picking at them when I’m not looking, so I intend to continue this “diet.” I’m not entirely sure if this is a good idea, though. Thoughts?
Not really his main diet should be protein-- did you try the BSFL?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
None of the 5 dragons i have/have had seemed to like eating their greens while i was watching lol. They will be at their greens gobbling them down and as soon as they see me they stop eating them, dragons are weird lol.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
As long as your dusting & gut loading that sounds fine

A good rule of thumb is as much bugs as they can in 5 mins.
But when dealing with something like a slight backup I like to watch how much protein I feed them.
Just keep putting out salad everyday
& hopefully he continues to have that behavior where he nips at it while your not looking..

He's not gonna get MBD if he just eats bugs
as long as your are dusting and gut loading bugs.

You should be good to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom