More pics of my new BRB girl.... lots

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Yep, I'm totally obsessed! She's so cool. I never realized how differently boids move and wow are they strong!

So this is my not even 2 month old brazilian rainbow girl who remains in dire need of a name...

010-1.jpg

014.jpg

029.jpg

037.jpg

And this is my over a year old bloodred corn male for size comparison...

008-1.jpg

Check out the diffusion going on! yeah, red snakey!
028-1.jpg

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
well.. to get a gorgeous one next year, get on the waitlist now.
I got on a little earlier than this last year to get this baby off of Dave Collings & I know Brian Hummel & Jeff Clark have similar waitlists. I'm on next years' waitlist for Dave too, hopefully to pick up a boy and I'm number 8 on his waitlist. For babies that will be born next Sept...
It's a bit insane.
But they're worth it. She's healthy, social and stunning!

wigglesworth

Juvie Member
you any closer to deciding on a name for her yet? got a short list at least?

i truly will turn green if you get a second brb before i even manage to get one, a yoshi friend and crested geckos are on the to get list first (Nick hasn't said yes yet but I think he realises its inevitable, not sure how long he will make me wait tho, i made his desktop background a brb pic :D )

we're currently getting a decent misting system set up for Yoshi's tank (our previous one, that we only used when going away for weekends, basically just dripped) it has a really good pump which will also be able to support other tank misting systems

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
ashesc212":9f7c7 said:
Very nice pics!

Thanks! She makes it easy!

Hi Miss Gemma,

Her name is Mira - it means "LOOK!" in spanish. Don't worry you've got right about a year. I'll pick up a boy either in Sept or Oct next year.
I wonder if there's a way to ship internationally... I could give you one, that buys you 3 or 4 years to convince him- Nick couldn't say no if it was your secret Santa present... :twisted:

Oo... and there's a good breeder over in Europe... I think he's mainland... although his english is freakishly good.

What kind of misting system are you picking up? I'm trying to remember what my mom has- she has a panther chamy- I know she loves it. I've heard the zoomed habistat.. habimist... whatever it is- is not remotely worth the money...
Yosh is in a glass tank right? If you have an old UTH from Noodles, toss it under the water dish and you can get some real nice humidity going. I actually have condensation all over Mira's enclosure, just from that. And I don't really think the heat would matter. I assume she's never on the floor of her tank.

Cresties are so adorable. With their little feets and smiles and eyelashy kinda things... awww. They make me baby talk.

wigglesworth

Juvie Member
i love the name

sorry taken ages to reply kind of hectis just recently & i keep getting distracted, in fact this is the last thing i'm doing on the computer before going to sort washing, tidy the kitchen and call a load of friends about our trip this weekend (just got a call while writing this)

our misting system is home made we bought a good pump (marine diaphram pump) pipe, connectors and bits which Nick got from work, which is regulated by a plc (programmable logic controller, computerish thing used for automation in industry) that Nick has 'borrowed on semi permenant/permenant basis from work' (its old, one of the mechanics said it wasn't needed anymore, we'll return it if they ask)
Nick works in robotics- programming industrial machinery, writting software for the mechanics and electronics making it all work and testing stuff, they have all kinds of useful stuff, like high pressure pipe (the pump can produce up to 5Bar)

yoshi's in an exoterra tank so humidity would have to be pretty high to form condensation which she could drink (although haven't seen her do it in a while) the spray also kinda waters the plant in there (mother in laws tounge or snake plant)
she's not too impressed by the whole thing at least when we sprayed her she could tell when it was going to happen, where the water was coming from and therefore where she could hide from it if it got her too much

i hope to get a BRB before you have babies, it probably won't be before you get your male, but hey we'll see i do like the secret santa plan :twisted: :D

wigglesworth":3e2ad said:
i truly will turn green if you get a second brb before i even manage to get one, a yoshi friend and crested geckos are on the to get list first (Nick hasn't said yes yet but I think he realises its inevitable, not sure how long he will make me wait tho, i made his desktop background a brb pic :D )

Sorry kind of topic, but I think Yoshi would be more unhappy if he had a "friend". Madagascar Giant Day Geckos (and most large Phelsuma for that matter) are EXTREMELY territorial. Unless breeding, I would never house two sexually mature grandis together. And because of their sensitive skin, the bites of others can be detrimental to their health. :angry5:

If I were you, I would get the Crested Gecko! I have one and he is AWESOME! Contact me if you have any questions and check out http://www.pangeareptile.com. Be sure to research cresties before you get one though! :study:

wigglesworth

Juvie Member
Yoshi's is a female the 'friend' would actually be a prospective mate,
and we will be monitoring them closely for signs of aggression, and are planning further changes to the viv to try and insure there are plenty of visual barriers and climbing, basking and hiding places to reduce the chances of territorial aggression.
It is not something we're taking lightly, we've owned Yoshi since she was 2 weeks old
we already have a quartine tank, in which the male could live in if they don't get along after being introduced or he could be put into give her a break if they do breed

we are going to get crested geckos also in future, don't worry have been researching them for a fair while already

Still, males will rip the skin right off of their mate. And you have to seperate them and bring the female to the vet right after they finish mating. It is not really a reptile you breed for fun because of the pain and stress on the female. I wouldn't suggest it, but it's not my grandis, so good luck! :roll:

Oh and BTW, that is a gorgeous Brazilian Rainbow Boa. :mrgreen:

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thank you. I adore her. She shed a couple days ago and is looking even brighter! I just can't make her real colors translate onto screen.

Wouldn't overly worry about the p. madagascariensis grandis up above. Gemma is one of the most aware and conscientious reptile owners I've seen on this forum. I know that she'd carefully watch for any aggressive behaviors and do whatever necessary and right by each animal. We all appreciate your concerns though!

015reddog

How big can BRBs get? I'm just curious because I was reading the other day and found out that Burmese Pythons can get from 15 to 30 feet and 100 to 300 pounds. Of course those are extremes, but if I had a snake that grew to be longer and heavier than me, I don't think that I would want any part of that. :shock:

Best,
Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom