More hiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rango101

My 1 year old beardie has been spending more time hiding lately, in the morning he'll go straight to his hide and falls asleep early. I plop him back in his basking spot and he'll stay there for a while normally. Besides that he's eating and pooping normally. He should be done bruminating at this point theoretically since he just finished bruminating this past winter. He has a 4x2x2 tank with a Arcadia D3+ desert 12% UVB tube, basking spot is 102F, cool side with DHP is 82F and I have a jungle dawn on top. He gets dubias dusted with Ca/multivitamins 2-3 times a week and salad every day. The only thing I can think of that might be bugging him is that the UVB in the basking spot is a little high according to my solar meter it's like 8-9. Any suggestions for how to get him more active/should I be worried? Or should I just take the hides out for a while?

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
I wouldn't take out his hiding places becuz he might be hiding for a reason.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My 1 year old beardie has been spending more time hiding lately, in the morning he'll go straight to his hide and falls asleep early. I plop him back in his basking spot and he'll stay there for a while normally. Besides that he's eating and pooping normally. He should be done bruminating at this point theoretically since he just finished bruminating this past winter. He has a 4x2x2 tank with a Arcadia D3+ desert 12% UVB tube, basking spot is 102F, cool side with DHP is 82F and I have a jungle dawn on top. He gets dubias dusted with Ca/multivitamins 2-3 times a week and salad every day. The only thing I can think of that might be bugging him is that the UVB in the basking spot is a little high according to my solar meter it's like 8-9. Any suggestions for how to get him more active/should I be worried? Or should I just take the hides out for a while?
Your UVB is on top of the screen?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your UVI is a bit high, but not necessarily a problem if there is lower levels available nearby (still allowing basking temps). I usually shoot for 3-6UVI in the middle of the basking area with the exposure tapering off as you move away from it down to 0-1 UVI. I try to provide a similar gradient with heat - surface temps of around 98-103 on the basking site, 90s around that, and low-mid 70s on the far side.

While it sounds like your lighting is in really good shape, it might be worth turning off the LEDs or the CHE (just one at a time) to see if that makes a difference in his behavior. I think he may just be inclined to a second brumation (maybe partially) which seems to happen now and then. If he isn't eating much but is maintaining his weight, that's likely to be the case. I'd keep monitoring his weight and maybe try some small tweaks to the lighting just to try and identify something he may not like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom