More frequent pooping

Akg12saurus

Beardie name(s)
Gosha
Hello Folks,

My beardie, Gosha, has been a bit more active lately and with it has been pooping more frequently as well. I want to make sure that activity and pooping frequency match and have no reason for concern.

I take him out of the enclosure several days a week or more, especially if I am working from home, and he happily sits on his cat box under people watching (he has a MVB there that stays at around 91F) or running around the apartment intermittently. Before this shift in activity, he would poop once every 1-2 weeks. Now, he's pooping every other day or sometimes daily (smaller stool, but not loose). I did notice some pink (what looked like a little blood yesterday in his poo) but that was the first and last time I've seen it so far. He pooped again today and there was no pink or red in his stool.

Should I be concerned with increased frequency of poop?

TIA

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Akg, you may be correct that the new activity is contributing to or causing Gosha's increased pooing. Beardies do that at times when they are excited , in a good or a bad way simply because of the increased stimulation. BTW are you positive that Gosha is a male ? Some females have frequent poos before they lay eggs. There's also a possibility that he has parasites. One more thing to mention, if he roams around the house be super alert that there are no objects that he might swallow. They will swallow coins, rubber bands, lego pieces and anything small enough to fit in their mouths. Make sure he doesn't spend TOO much time out of his viv, they need to proper heat + uvb for digestion.

Akg12saurus

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gosha
Hi Akg, you may be correct that the new activity is contributing to or causing Gosha's increased pooing. Beardies do that at times when they are excited , in a good or a bad way simply because of the increased stimulation. BTW are you positive that Gosha is a male ? Some females have frequent poos before they lay eggs. There's also a possibility that he has parasites. One more thing to mention, if he roams around the house be super alert that there are no objects that he might swallow. They will swallow coins, rubber bands, lego pieces and anything small enough to fit in their mouths. Make sure he doesn't spend TOO much time out of his viv, they need to proper heat + uvb for digestion.
Thanks for the additional info @AHBD.

I am 99.9% positive he is a male, verified by breeder and vet.

He has had parasites before that he was treated for, so I will keep an eye out and if his poop looks suspect again, I may get a fecal just in case.

So question about outside roaming. I eventually want him to have the ability to go in and out of his viv on his own (once we move and have a set and beardie-proofed space). I thought that an MVB does the double duty providing heat and UVB, is that not the case?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
MVB's are a controversial subject , some may work better than others, some owners say certain types bother dragon's eyes and of course the dragon would need to spend enough time under them to facilitate calcium absorption. I've used Zoomed Powersuns but I also raise my dragons outside part of the time for straight uvb exposure in big enclosure.

Akg12saurus

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gosha
MVB's are a controversial subject , some may work better than others, some owners say certain types bother dragon's eyes and of course the dragon would need to spend enough time under them to facilitate calcium absorption. I've used Zoomed Powersuns but I also raise my dragons outside part of the time for straight uvb exposure in big enclosure.
Oh interesting, I knew you had to do some research to properly use one, didn't realize it was one of those divisive issues. I also have the ZooMed Powersun 100watt for his window/cat box set up btw.

Oh I'm jealous of the outside part. I live in CT and outside of warmer months, my beardie is homebound.

From what I can see in my own limited, personal experience is that the MVB has allowed me to let him have some space to roam (he always comes back to the window/MVB set up to chill and warm up) and stay curious. His colors remain nice and bright under the MVB and if I had to ratio his roaming vs sitting under the lamp, it'd say it's a 10% roaming, 90% sitting under the lamp looking out the window. I'll continue to keep an eye out on his poop for sure though (which owner doesn't though haha).

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Oh interesting, I knew you had to do some research to properly use one, didn't realize it was one of those divisive issues. I also have the ZooMed Powersun 100watt for his window/cat box set up btw.

Oh I'm jealous of the outside part. I live in CT and outside of warmer months, my beardie is homebound.

From what I can see in my own limited, personal experience is that the MVB has allowed me to let him have some space to roam (he always comes back to the window/MVB set up to chill and warm up) and stay curious. His colors remain nice and bright under the MVB and if I had to ratio his roaming vs sitting under the lamp, it'd say it's a 10% roaming, 90% sitting under the lamp looking out the window. I'll continue to keep an eye out on his poop for sure though (which owner doesn't though haha).
MVBs are very efficient in my experience.
It's a controversial topic but you can use an MVB for your Beardie.

I thought that an MVB does the double duty providing heat and UVB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom