Moldy Worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Ive have been given two containers of mealworms and super worms. Both have been getting moldy. Their bedding is crushed oats and there is always moisture on the side of the container once the mold starts. Holes are provided for air. Is it still safe to feed to my dragon? How do I prevent the mold? Or how do I get rid of them because my dragon rarely eats them and there are literally HUNDREDS of them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ive have been given two containers of mealworms and super worms. Both have been getting moldy. Their bedding is crushed oats and there is always moisture on the side of the container once the mold starts. Holes are provided for air. Is it still safe to feed to my dragon? How do I prevent the mold? Or how do I get rid of them because my dragon rarely eats them and there are literally HUNDREDS of them.
@AHBD
@CooperDragon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You don't have to throw them away, you can save them by putting them in containers with fresh oatmeal or bran flakes but don't use a lid. Use a plastic shoebox for superworms and something like a cool whip container for smaller mealworms. Put fresh oatmeal in but make sure it's only a couple of inches, don't pile it high and they won't be able to escape. A couple pieces of carrot or fresh green bean every few days for them to stay hydrated. After a week or so they will be O.K to feed to your beardies.

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
You don't have to throw them away, you can save them by putting them in containers with fresh oatmeal or bran flakes but don't use a lid. Use a plastic shoebox for superworms and something like a cool whip container for smaller mealworms. Put fresh oatmeal in but make sure it's only a couple of inches, don't pile it high and they won't be able to escape. A couple pieces of carrot or fresh green bean every few days for them to stay hydrated. After a week or so they will be O.K to feed to your beardies.
Thank you! Does baking the oatmeal stop it from molding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom