Moldy silkworms.?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
We just got 100 silkworms day before yesterday. We learned the hard way they don't do well in warm areas so we kept them in a cooler part of the house. Yesterday, I opened the containers and this stuff was in both containers. Surely it didn't get this moldy overnight.? It was in a cool area with no moisture or anything. Also, why is it yellow.??

If it is mold, do we have to throw out the worms.? I don't have extra silkworm food so I don't know what to do.

Attachments

• 20230516_122339.jpg
    20230516_122339.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 16842544046501152645159896479976.jpg
    16842544046501152645159896479976.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 52

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We just got 100 silkworms day before yesterday. We learned the hard way they don't do well in warm areas so we kept them in a cooler part of the house. Yesterday, I opened the containers and this stuff was in both containers. Surely it didn't get this moldy overnight.? It was in a cool area with no moisture or anything. Also, why is it yellow.??

If it is mold, do we have to throw out the worms.? I don't have extra silkworm food so I don't know what to do.
I dont know what that is if its mold or what-- lets have some others look
@AHBD
@CooperDragon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've found that their food/poop can get moldy pretty quickly. They also tend to be fairly fragile, unfortunately. Ventilation and frequent food change can help with this. What I do is remove them from the container they're shipped in, then put them in a shoebox sized plastic tote with holes drilled all over the lid. I put down some paper towel and then blobs of food for them and let them be in the tote. I change out the food and paper towel every day or two in order to make sure everything stays clean and fresh. A bit more work than other feeders but they're a really good option and worth it in my opinion.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I've found that their food/poop can get moldy pretty quickly. They also tend to be fairly fragile, unfortunately. Ventilation and frequent food change can help with this. What I do is remove them from the container they're shipped in, then put them in a shoebox sized plastic tote with holes drilled all over the lid. I put down some paper towel and then blobs of food for them and let them be in the tote. I change out the food and paper towel every day or two in order to make sure everything stays clean and fresh. A bit more work than other feeders but they're a really good option and worth it in my opinion.
Okay. I can do that, except for their food. All we have is what they shipped into their containers. And I can't find anything consistent on what else they can eat. Is there other things they can safely eat.?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Okay. I can do that, except for their food. All we have is what they shipped into their containers. And I can't find anything consistent on what else they can eat. Is there other things they can safely eat.?
You can order food from where you got the silk worms from -- try and save what you can for now and order some -- Powdered Silkworm Food

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah the food can be ordered as a powder, mixed with boiling water, and then set into a gel. Aside from that they eat mulberry leaves but if they grew up on the chow they may not take to the leaves.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom