**Mega Ray Issues** / Megaray RECALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I placed an order in early April for a Mega Ray 100W and recieved it in early May. I worked for a few weeks and burnt out. I sent it back in early June and still have not recieved my replacement bulb. Everytime I email John I get the same response that it is on it's was but still no bulb almost six months later. He promises that it will be sent out after Thanksgiving but I don't see that happening. I plan on demanding my money back if I do not recieve the bulb next week so I can buy from a more reliable company.

Germ

Hatchling Member
John Wolfe is no longer with ReptileUV & according to previous posts, has not been, for some time now ...

I'm sorry...I looked back at my emails and it is Jimmy that I have been emailing back and forth with...no ETA on the new bulb and I have a sick beardie...I just got a new Powersun in the mail last week but I would really love to use the Mega Ray instead.

acwood04

Hatchling Member
I just read the info about the bulbs and I had one of the bad ones that was originally purchased last year. I sent that one back and got another one. I was not too sure about the bulb since that was when this forumn had just started, and was on like page 5 or something.. hehe
I looked at the Batch # of my mega ray and it is AJ. I realize that isn't on the list of the recalled ones, but I was wondering if anyone has or had used one of these?

I switched to the solar-glo when this was happening and then now the Solar-Glo's arent really any good. Its a good thing I take my beardies (Bella and Crupi) outside. I returned to the reptisun and and going to try using it with this light cyle unit from Exo-Terra. It's basically a cycle of 10,12,14 hrs with a simulated sunrise and sunset. Its got end caps for the flourescent tubes so you can mount them virtually anywhere. Its made to be used with two Tubes, and comes for different watt ratings. So I just finished bella's and I used a reptisun 10.0 24". Her tank is like 38 inches long. I also got a zoo med naturesun that is mounted on the ceiling, not dropped down like the reptisun. I've got halogen lights on the ride to create a basking spot of 100-105 depending on the temp inside the house.
IMG-20101211-00052.jpg

Please let me know what you think. For Crupi I've got the same setup and am about to install it. His is a 36 inch tube because his tank is 48 inches long.

acwood04

Hatchling Member
So I just changed the setup in my enclosures, and a while back, my Mega-ray was recalled, and it was producing eye problems.. The bulb they sent back to me was a while ago, around the beginning of this year. The batch number is "AJ". I had not tried this bulb out of fear of harming my sweet Crupi... But after reading that batch was not on the recall, I decided to try it for a day or two before I got the reptisun installed. Well after two days Crupi was closing his eyes, just like the same problem that happened with these bulbs when this thread first started. I would like to let people know that the batch "AJ" is not a good one either. Frances, I'd be willing to ship this bulb to you for testing and I also have two exoterra solar glo bulbs that I got when the megaray crisis began. I've stopped using those too, but did use them for quite some time with no symptoms of eye problems or calcium deficiency. So frances if you'd like to have these three bulbs for testing, PM me... Thanks.

Germ

Hatchling Member
ThePonz":7aec1if7 said:
OK so i want to get one of these but i want to make sure all this crap has been sorted out first
Again I say 'WHY?', after reading this thread? Are people not reading it? These Bulbs are erratically unsafe, Reptile UV's Customer Service belongs in the 'Crapper' as of late. It will be a long time, if ever, before I have any faith in these bulbs or the Mother Company (Repile UV), again, as they have lost all credibility.

G.

ThePonz

Ok so I'v decided to get the Exo-Terra dual top canopy instead or mercury vapor because it seems that mercury vapor models keep going bad (i.e. Powersun, Megaray)

acwood04

Hatchling Member
ThePonz":2fk487x4 said:
Ok so I'v decided to get the Exo-Terra dual top canopy instead or mercury vapor because it seems that mercury vapor models keep going bad (i.e. Powersun, Megaray)

That has compact flourescents doesnt it? You want a tube reptisun 10.0. I've had a dual canopy light systemwhen my beardies were both in 20 gallon long enclosures, when they were little. I quickly returned it, because the compact flourescent's were known to cause eye problems or have no output. This was about a year ago, and I believe we are still awaiting the new results on the newer compact flourescents. Also if you want to use a heat light in there, you cant focus the heat downward because the bulbs face forward, designed for compact flourescent bubls. When I returned it to petsmart bought a 24inch flourescent fixture and ordered a reptisun online, sometimes petco will have some stock or Zoomed Reptisun 10.0. These as of right now are the sure bet to know your beardies are getting safe UVB. Then used clamp lamps to provide light and heat. Id suggest getting a strip light, at petsmart, a lot of them are made for aqaurium tops if you have a small enclosure. Also the exo terra light cycle unit or the cheaper one that is just the light unit, has endcaps so you can use different length bubls, just as long as they are within that wattage. the 36 in reptisun(which im using now in my 4x2x2 viv) is 30 watts, the 24 inch, 18 watts. Im pairing that with zoo med's Naturesun, formally the reptisun 2.0. This bulb is mainly to regulate the light in the viv to make it look extremely natural. These units you can continue to use as you upgrade sizes of viv's and with those clamps (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...086017&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3458wt_905) you can mount the bulbs virtauly anywhere. http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/light_cycle_unit.phphttp://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/light_unit.php

That way you can mount the tubes closer or farther depending on the enclosure you use permanently, which needs to be pretty big. I dont know the size or age of your beardie so im not sure if you've got him/her in their permanent adult viv yet. I switched to this unit after custom building my own two viv's 4ftx2ftx2ft designed for MVB application because of the distance from the ceiling and the MVB is more powerful, so your animal doesnt have to get that close to it. So having to go back to the proven Reptisun 10.0. I got that light cycle unit and then I got some flourescent bulb clips off ebay and the bulbs from pet mountain. I've got a reptisun mounted about 4 inches down from the ceiling and i've built up the basking area in height so my beardies can get closer.

acwood04

Hatchling Member
ThePonz":7zqef9er said:

That has compact flourescents doesnt it? You want a tube reptisun 10.0. I've had a dual canopy light systemwhen my beardies were both in 20 gallon long enclosures, when they were little. I quickly returned it, because the compact flourescent's were known to cause eye problems or have no output. This was about a year ago, and I believe we are still awaiting the new results on the newer compact flourescents. Also if you want to use a heat light in there, you cant focus the heat downward because the bulbs face forward, designed for compact flourescent bubls. When I returned it to petsmart bought a 24inch flourescent fixture and ordered a reptisun online, sometimes petco will have some stock or Zoomed Reptisun 10.0. These as of right now are the sure bet to know your beardies are getting safe UVB. Then used clamp lamps to provide light and heat. Id suggest getting a strip light, at petsmart, a lot of them are made for aqaurium tops if you have a small enclosure. Also the exo terra light cycle unit or the cheaper one that is just the light unit, has endcaps so you can use different length bubls, just as long as they are within that wattage. the 36 in reptisun(which im using now in my 4x2x2 viv) is 30 watts, the 24 inch, 18 watts. Im pairing that with zoo med's Naturesun, formally the reptisun 2.0. This bulb is mainly to regulate the light in the viv to make it look extremely natural. These units you can continue to use as you upgrade sizes of viv's and with those clamps (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...086017&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3458wt_905) you can mount the bulbs virtauly anywhere. http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/light_cycle_unit.phphttp://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/light_unit.php

That way you can mount the tubes closer or farther depending on the enclosure you use permanently, which needs to be pretty big. I dont know the size or age of your beardie so im not sure if you've got him/her in their permanent adult viv yet. I switched to this unit after custom building my own two viv's 4ftx2ftx2ft designed for MVB application because of the distance from the ceiling and the MVB is more powerful, so your animal doesnt have to get that close to it. So having to go back to the proven Reptisun 10.0. I got that light cycle unit and then I got some flourescent bulb clips off ebay and the bulbs from pet mountain. I've got a reptisun mounted about 4 inches down from the ceiling and i've built up the basking area in height so my beardies can get closer.

beardieluv":2t44534n said:
I was wondering, CHarlie got his megaray about a week ago, and for the past week his eyes are closed alot. Man :(

MINE ARE DOING THE SAME THING!! THE BULBS ARE DEFINATELY DIFFERENT.. MY BABIES DON'T SEEM TO LIKE THE NEW ONES AS MUCH!!

TAMMYBRANTLEY":x06hmh6g said:
beardieluv":x06hmh6g said:
I was wondering, CHarlie got his megaray about a week ago, and for the past week his eyes are closed alot. Man :(

MINE ARE DOING THE SAME THING!! THE BULBS ARE DEFINATELY DIFFERENT.. MY BABIES DON'T SEEM TO LIKE THE NEW ONES AS MUCH!!
I WILL SAY THIS THOUGH... THE GUYS AT REPTILE UV HAVE BEEN WONDERFUL IN REPLACING MY BULBS!! EVEN THROUGHOUT ALL OF THE CHOAS THEY HAD, I STILL HAD TEMPS AND REPLACEMENTS SENT TO ME..... BUT FOR SOME REASON, MY BABIES STILL SEEM TIRED.. I THINK IT IS THE FIRST BRUMATION PERIOD SINCE I HAVE HAD THEM. ( NEWBIE MOM ALSO )
; )

WE WILL SEE WHEN IT WARMS UP!!!

boxers

Hatchling Member
The last two orders (within a year) I've made for these bulbs have come extremely late. It seems the company is shipping out the labels to UPS without shipping the actual package/bulb. I had to make paypal disputes both times.

That was for sure the last time I will order through this company again, they've gone extremely downhill.
So now it's time to totally redo Razual's enclosure/lighting and somehow figure out how to get a strip fixture in there so we can use ReptiSuns, which are much more reliable. :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom