Meet violet

Status
Not open for further replies.
9E6C9CEC-D0AC-4B2C-B583-BEDB9A1E49AD.jpeg
F0B7DDBA-B91C-4AF1-907E-98CA7785B6CA.jpeg
05E915B3-C2EE-4183-B6B1-BD97C065D00B.jpeg

We got her two weeks before Christmas but she was at my moms as she was a surprise she was about 5/6 weeks I think. Are they all so bitchy lol every morning she warms up and then goes and digs and hides every time for over a hour it’s like she hates mornings then someone comes into the room she runs and hides as she sees us coming then by 1 /2 she’s hungry. So she doesn’t run. She got greens in the morning she gets crickets she eats like 4 then a few hours I give more maybe 2 she eats about 6-10 a day won’t eat more gives me cut eye 🤣 she has shed once since with us. When do they get friendly My son only pets her head once a day because we don’t want to stress her. But let me tell you she understands she knows when crickets are coming I give her water from syringe to ensure she drinks if she wants she licks if she doesn’t she gives me nasty look and turns around 🤦‍♀️ Is this normal or is violet just sassy 💁‍♀️ also I read she should eat over 20 bugs she won’t eat that much I would say she is around 10 weeks. She stressed me out so much at the beginning but now I think she is fine in regards to health.

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Violet is a very sassy girl lol or she could be a boy bc i thought mine was a boy before and thats even what the vet said and now shes 1 and turns out "he" is a she :) But shes so beautiful and cute. a wero or zero dragon morph has always been my dream dragon:>

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
First thing to do is get rid of that stick on thermometer / hygrometer - they are grossly inaccurate. Get yourself some digital ones

Have you got a UVB tube in her enclosure?

Once you know that temps, humidity & lighting are correct then her eating should stabilise

As to taming its just a matter of patience. Start off by trying to hand feed her. You can offer her food directly from your fingers or even place her food on your open palm and let her climb on and take it.

Never try to pick her up directly from above as they have a third eye on the top of their head which is photo-sensitive and will make her think that a predator is approaching from above her.

Once she gets less skittish and used to your hands you can gently pick her up by sliding your hand under her from the side.

Depending on her personality you can get her used to being picked up very quickly. If she's of a more timid nature then it will be a considerably longer period

Hope this helps

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
View attachment 66551 View attachment 66552 View attachment 66553
We got her two weeks before Christmas but she was at my moms as she was a surprise she was about 5/6 weeks I think. Are they all so bitchy lol every morning she warms up and then goes and digs and hides every time for over a hour it’s like she hates mornings then someone comes into the room she runs and hides as she sees us coming then by 1 /2 she’s hungry. So she doesn’t run. She got greens in the morning she gets crickets she eats like 4 then a few hours I give more maybe 2 she eats about 6-10 a day won’t eat more gives me cut eye 🤣 she has shed once since with us. When do they get friendly My son only pets her head once a day because we don’t want to stress her. But let me tell you she understands she knows when crickets are coming I give her water from syringe to ensure she drinks if she wants she licks if she doesn’t she gives me nasty look and turns around 🤦‍♀️ Is this normal or is violet just sassy 💁‍♀️ also I read she should eat over 20 bugs she won’t eat that much I would say she is around 10 weeks. She stressed me out so much at the beginning but now I think she is fine in regards to health.
Correct lighting and basking temps are a MUST--- NO coils for a UVB please and please get two digital probe thermometers -- like this Zoo Med Digital Thermometer you want one for the basking side and one for the cool side of the tank -- place the probe on the spot where she basks so you get surface temps 105-110 for a baby- wait 10 min or so then get the temp the probe does not need to stay there you can stick it on the side of the tank spot check once a week - please tell me what UVB you have brand and bulb and is it in a dome?
She wont eat or will quit eating all together if the basking temps and UVB are not correct --- these things I am asking about are crucial to her overall health and behavior - she is going thru relocation stress so her eating is going to be off but yes she will start eating alot more -- and please get rid of the wood shavings -- they are a hazard to her health -- you want something that is NOT loose -- some textured NON shelf liner cut to the size of the tank is recommended and clean w/ vinegar/ water 50-50 --- you can get this at Walmart or your local home improvement store -- but we need to work on the UVB and your basking bulbs etc first to keep her eating and getting her acclimated to the tank

Violetthedragon

Original Poster
Correct lighting and basking temps are a MUST--- NO coils for a UVB please and please get two digital probe thermometers -- like this Zoo Med Digital Thermometer you want one for the basking side and one for the cool side of the tank -- place the probe on the spot where she basks so you get surface temps 105-110 for a baby- wait 10 min or so then get the temp the probe does not need to stay there you can stick it on the side of the tank spot check once a week - please tell me what UVB you have brand and bulb and is it in a dome?
She wont eat or will quit eating all together if the basking temps and UVB are not correct --- these things I am asking about are crucial to her overall health and behavior - she is going thru relocation stress so her eating is going to be off but yes she will start eating alot more -- and please get rid of the wood shavings -- they are a hazard to her health -- you want something that is NOT loose -- some textured NON shelf liner cut to the size of the tank is recommended and clean w/ vinegar/ water 50-50 --- you can get this at Walmart or your local home improvement store -- but we need to work on the UVB and your basking bulbs etc first to keep her eating and getting her acclimated to the tank
The wood was given by the reptile ppl they said they like to dig and it can pass through them no issues … lighting I believe is fine I don’t have coils etc and I have 3 thermostat one with probe that one came with this kit which I bought because my 90gallo. Was way to big for her right now. I feel like removing the wood would freak her out she loves dig and burry herself … but I can get one of those carpets I assume. I will take pictures of my lighting I still think something might be wrong but I am paranoid

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The wood was given by the reptile ppl they said they like to dig and it can pass through them no issues … lighting I believe is fine I don’t have coils etc and I have 3 thermostat one with probe that one came with this kit which I bought because my 90gallo. Was way to big for her right now. I feel like removing the wood would freak her out she loves dig and burry herself … but I can get one of those carpets I assume. I will take pictures of my lighting I still think something might be wrong but I am paranoid
Ok the tube fixture ???? What is it? these bulbs have different placement and distance they need to be for best effectiveness Please get rid of the wood -- if she were to ingest a piece it could tear her up internally ---- you can get her a dig box w/ some play sand in it -- NO sand w/ calcium you do not want her eating it --

Violetthedragon

Original Poster
Ok the tube fixture ???? What is it? these bulbs have different placement and distance they need to be for best effectiveness Please get rid of the wood -- if she were to ingest a piece it could tear her up internally ---- you can get her a dig box w/ some play sand in it -- NO sand w/ calcium you do not want her eating it --
Yes tube T5 I think zoo med it’s really big because it was for the 90 tank but they gave me just a all in one basking light and I felt it wasn’t enough so I have no the basking and the T5 and then I took the screen off cuz u read it takes the rays away

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes tube T5 I think zoo med it’s really big because it was for the 90 tank but they gave me just a all in one basking light and I felt it wasn’t enough so I have no the basking and the T5 and then I took the screen off cuz u read it takes the rays away
Ok good so its unobstructed the UVB --- it needs to be directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches -- what size tank is she in now?

Violetthedragon

Original Poster
Just 20g she was so tiny lol this is the size she is

Attachments

• AA8CD5E7-0391-45B1-BB1E-356CBB6FEE96.jpeg
    AA8CD5E7-0391-45B1-BB1E-356CBB6FEE96.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 117
  • DC3D358F-540E-4C23-96F4-48E3C514DB6A.jpeg
    DC3D358F-540E-4C23-96F4-48E3C514DB6A.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 45C750C7-75CC-4F9E-BB50-91EA9A95851C.jpeg
    45C750C7-75CC-4F9E-BB50-91EA9A95851C.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 111

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you have the larger enclosure available, I'd consider moving her to it. It will be easier to create heat and light gradients for her with the larger space, and she may enjoy running around and exploring more area.

For the 20g, a T5 can be pretty strong, but it depends on the bulb being used. Do you have a ReptiSun 10.0? If so, that might be a bit strong and using the screen to limit the output might be a good idea. Otherwise, switching to a ReptiSun 5.0 bulb (or Arcadia 6%) might be a good idea while using the smaller enclosure. Those bulbs have an optimal output at around 6-8'' (rather than 12-14'' that the 10.0/12% ones have).

Violetthedragon

Original Poster
If you have the larger enclosure available, I'd consider moving her to it. It will be easier to create heat and light gradients for her with the larger space, and she may enjoy running around and exploring more area.

For the 20g, a T5 can be pretty strong, but it depends on the bulb being used. Do you have a ReptiSun 10.0? If so, that might be a bit strong and using the screen to limit the output might be a good idea. Otherwise, switching to a ReptiSun 5.0 bulb (or Arcadia 6%) might be a good idea while using the smaller enclosure. Those bulbs have an optimal output at around 6-8'' (rather than 12-14'' that the 10.0/12% ones have).
Yes is the strong one. I will put the screen for now. I think moving her right now would freak her I will soon though even moving the room made her so mad lol the cool side is about 77 -79 ish and she has a log to do into her poop for the first time was smelly and an big blob. It’s usually perfect and it had the white at the end…. I will see if it’s like that again

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes their poops are just kind of off. Could be digestion issues or diet related - that tends to sort itself out. I don't worry about it if it doesn't continue to look or smell odd for weeks on end. Worth keeping an eye on though.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
If you have all the stuff ready to go for the bigger enclosure I'd move her now. As stated above the temperature gradient will be much easier to maintain in the larger enclosure. I know you are worrying about stressing her but by leaving her in the current enclosure to settle is only going to end up prolonging her stress because when you move her she'll go through it all over again.

Better to get the stress phase over in one go whilst improving her living conditions at the same time :)

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
View attachment 66551 View attachment 66552 View attachment 66553
It’s really good that it’s eating salad hope mine could eat more! But for your bugs and crickets you should feed more and how many times do u feed him 3? And he or she must be very sassy and sensitive well that is kinda normal for bearded dragons my bearded dragon doesn’t poo in his tank so I have to take him out always and he won’t eat if I give him too much crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom