Meet our new resident wild "house" skink.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's great that they're hanging out with you long enough so you can start to know their personalities a bit. Seems like a lot of fun!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
It's great that they're hanging out with you long enough so you can start to know their personalities a bit. Seems like a lot of fun!
They are all individuals ....

Cleo has been acting up a lot , bit of hormonal ansk and she's miffed that they are invading her territory ( maybe feeling like there is a water skink invasion going on - she's never impressed if I dare get Fluffy out for fun time when she's out on me for daddy snuggles ( assumes the high ground = top of my shoulder ) as if that deters Fluffy from pestering her and wanting to be friends with her.
Cleo has been really asserting herself and demanding more floor time, she goes everywhere the skinks have been ( on the floor ) = follows their patrol paths.
Caesar is more laid back about them, but he also follows their patrol paths when he gets his floor fun time.
Nether are hunting them , they are just curious , and maybe Cleo wants the scare them off.

George and Mildred the Blue Tongues are fascinated by the water skinks , but when on the floor are too interested in finding that sunny spot or getting mummy andor daddy snuggles.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I think Jr really likes my wife, it's been following her all over the house today .

Looks like Cheakie has given berth ( was missing inside for a few days ) and showed up today looking somewhat skinnier .
No sign of her friend inside, but wife saw what she thinks is the same skink on amongst the pots on our front patio when she gave the plants a drink.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Big trust breakthrough with Cheakie's big pregnant friend today , she took a meal worm beetle off my finger tip and another from my down turned open hand and handsurfed for a minute or two ( not sure if she was so happy about that but didn't immediately leap off and run away , and was back inside the minute after I lowered my hand back down to seat and let her crawl off .

Think we'll call her Lizz.

Junior is getting gamer, spending more time close to me and not so skittish now when I move about inside 2ft from him (?).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Junior is getting be a very assertive and smart little skink who's very interactive and "friendly".

Last few days he/she's been showing up at our bedroom entry everytime either my wife or I get out of bed to visit the loo before we get up for brekky, sits there and head nods at my wife and me , as if to say "get up lazybones , I'm hungry".

Gonna have to bump up bug orders to keep the gang of water skinks in mealworms, crickets and BSFLs (esp Cheakie and Jr who like bottomless pits when it comes to food) and to keep the local magpie and her very hungry fledglings ( 2 more bottomless pits = who love superworms and crickets ) , happy , she sings to us every morning and taps on the door length window in our lounge room to ask for buggy treats most mornings..

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Got a really good look at the smaller juvenile today , based on the broadness of it's head/jaws , this little juvenile water skink is a boy.

Breakthrough with Junior , she now trusts me enough to take mealworms from my finger tips and not run away when my hand is with drawn after giving her a worm.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Junior is very curious about the beardies and my blue tongues. He's been coming out from under the furnature to observe them when they have floor time , keeps a safe distance and darts back under where they can't reach him if they approach closer than 2ft away.

He's super curious about everything that goes on.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Mobbed by the water skinks at lunchtime , had all 5 ( 2 adult females , 3 juveniles ) all on the lounge , Cheakie was so keen for her crickets and mealworms she near took the end of my two fingers off with the first few ( you'd think she was never fed ) , Junior and Liz ( the other pregnant adult ) were also very keen on getting their share too but were simply run over and pushed aside by Cheakie in her rush to get the goodies.
The other juveniles are coming round and are taking worms from the seat right next to me , of floor right next to my feet.

Spotted a juvenile / subadult bluetongue in my big front bed , was munching on some flower heads ( saw it bite through a few stems to bring the flower head down where it could eat it , likes the native hibiscus , billybuttons and nasturtium leaves ( yes still getting seedling nasturtium plants coming up through the eucymulch in the big 6m x 3m bed , we try to pull them out before their flowers set seeds now ). Scurried away and hid when I opened the door ( was hoping to get a few photos of it ), but it's too timid.

Will start leaving a little terracotta dish with some softened juvenile bearded dragon pellets and VetaFarm Lizard pellets , and some buk choi, nasturtium flowers and leaves , and a thawed lizard salad cube every day to encourage it stay. The outside weasle , rainbow, delicate and water skinks , and the water dragon who visits will likely partake , as will the dubia and velvet geckos ( at night ).

Last edited:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like they've pretty much taken over the house at this point. Might as well hand over the title. Perhaps they'll let you stay on for a while if you pay them rent. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Not seen a roach, spider, or mouse inside my home for ages .... the skinks & geckos find catch and eat the bugs and baby mice , and the adult mice vacate the premises --- we enjoy their antics and interactions with us and the other lizards too. Cleo seems to have accepted their presence now too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Discovered Jr curled up on top the modem ( is a toasty 35 degC on there and Jr is small enough to fit and it's nice high vantage spot.

Big breakthrough with Jr , the baby water skink .Finally accepted food off my open up turned hand and handsurfed .

Jr is so light and small and cute , even had the excited tailtip wriggling that was so much Wriggles' special behaviour.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
My little mate , Junior enjoying his new fav spot , nice and toasty on top the modem and gets a great view , gets so relaxed she goes asleep there.
Jr visits every day, and has taste for mealworm lavae and pupae , and blacksoldier flies.

Usually shows up about lunchtime and stays all afternoon til 7pm.

img-2442-Junior-fav-spot-on-modem.jpg

IMG-2444-junior-on-modem.jpg

IMG-2445-junior-loving-the-modem.jpg

Modem is 50mm wide.

Jr's such a little cutey and has a lovely inquisitive and friendly disposition.

Last edited:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Jr is very territorial about possession of the top of the modem, the other juvenile (J2) visited this afternoon and had the hide to try to join Junior on top , result was an argument and junior chasing J2 across lounge and up the curtain ( to about 3/4 way up ) .

J2 was soon back but on the arm of my lounge ( hiding from Junior ?) .

So figured I'd try my luck at hand feeding J2 , and soon as had the lid of the mealworm tub he/she on the chair next to me , and very keen to get the worms , no hesitation in taking the worms off my hand and then from my fingers. Success ---- yet another wild skink trusts / likes me.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
3 December , first warm sunny day for over a month , Cheakie as gone outside , wife tells me she spotted her on the stacked bresser blocks near the bottom of the back steps this afternoon sunbathing .

Her big friend Lizz was inside today and very hungry , polished off 8 med crickets and 8 mealworm lavae .
Junior is still inside and making the most of having tame humans who are happy to give buggy treats, though today he tried to eat the ends of my finger tips when I was handfeeding him some mealworms ( guess he hasn'f quite got the hang of hand feeding yet and fingers that smell wormy are worth trying to eat.

Size difference between Lizz and Junior
Lizz

screenshot-587.png

Junior

screenshot-586.png

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom