Mealworms, superworms, and their beetles

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Can I get a big plastic tub with tall sides and put unwanted mealworms and superworms in them for the birds? Just wondering because I have a TON which my bearded dragon isn’t eating fast enough.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
If he is not eating them fast enough, then you could refrigerate them and they should still be good. if you wanna put some for the birds, then I would say why not like half of them.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Thanks! She looks way different now cuz that was her 3 month pictures(Yes I take pictures every month so that way I remember what she looked like from a baby to adult)

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
If he is not eating them fast enough, then you could refrigerate them and they should still be good. if you wanna put some for the birds, then I would say why not like half of them.
The mealworms are fine to refrigerate but if the superworms are actually superworms and not just giant mealworms, they will die in the refrigerator. Although they look similar, superworms are actually a different species that comes from tropical climates and don't handle cold very well.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I was going to also write about the difference. Your superworms will not reproduce unlesss they turn to beetles and then lay eggs but they need specific conditions for that. Aside from that, true superworms can live for many months in an open container with oatmeal or wheat bran and a few pieces of veggie about once a week or every 2 weeks. The mealworms can reproduce much more easily at room temp. in the same conditions or can be stored in the fridge and will go dormant and not reproduce.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom