Me and my 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katiema10

Hi! My name is Katie and my boyfriend and I began our beardie collection months ago. It started out with a spur-of-the-moment decision that led to our main man, Rocket. We were walking through Petco and all reptiles were 50% off. I couldn't resist. Taylor pointed out the one underneath all the others and we both fell in love. So we took him home, plopped him down in a ten gallon, set up his lights and basking rock, ect., and that was that. I began doubting our care for him. Sure, he was healthy, but he needed something more. So within the next two days I bought all of the supplies and Taylor put together a 49x18x16 tank for him. So then we had a 2 month old beardie boy in this enormous tank. I started looking around craigslist and breeder sites for more beardies, just because I was curious. Eventually my curiosity found me an ad on craigslist, which led to Dominic. He was being advertised as one of two beardies being sold. They were both 3 years old and the man said he needed a home for them badly. The pics looked shady. I emailed him saying I'd take them in to help him out, but I would not pay for them. He replied angrily and told me no. I was dissapointed but it was none of my business. The next day I get an email back saying I could have the smaller one with no tail. So we rushed to the guy's house where I found a very cold, MBD dragon the size of a six month old beardie. He literally couldn't move his legs. He would slither like a snake. He couldn't even catch his own food, and he was starving to death. On top of that, his owner had been feeding him Kale, which sucks calcium. :banghead: His jaw had the worst under bite I'd ever seen and I don't even understand how he survived with as dehydrated as he was. He's perked up since then. We got him under a mercury vapor, so that was good. About a month later after he was doing good in his tank and Rocket was getting fatter by the day, we went to Wheaton, IL for a reptile show. It was a five hour drive, but it was worth it, because we picked up Harley there. A bright red, freckled, girl. She was seriously gorgeous. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, she passed. There were no signs leading up to her death, and we're not quite sure how she died. Needless to say, I was devastated. I felt like I could have done something to help her. Even though multiple people reassured me, I still felt awful. About a month and a half passed and both of my boys were thriving. I didn't care to get another dragon out of fear they would meet the same fate as Harley. Eventually I spotted another ad on Craigslist and couldn't believe my eyes. "Rare silkback bearded dragon baby for sale". I clicked on the ad, knowing it was out of my price range. Same age as Rocket, female, 50 bucks. A real Silkie. Not those claim-to-be-silkie leatherbacks. She's got as many scales as I do. :lol: I immediately contacted the woman selling her and she was still available! I went and got her the next morning, along with a lower wattage basking light and a huge cave. After bringing her home, I realized she was significantly smaller than Rocket, which worried me, because I had planned on housing them together for the time being. She was seriously the size of him at 2 months old. So I put him close to see if he'd try to eat her, while making sure he couldn't get to her... Nothing... I let her down to move around... Nothing... So after three days of PURE supervision (I rarely left the tank's side) I have decided to allow them to coincide for now. He actually doesn't seem to mind her. And she loves him, which I didn't think was possible. Every night she will cross the tank just to curl up and lay her head on his shoulder wherever he is lying. I'm currently working on making her her own silkie-proof tank, but as it is right now, she's fine. So now I have three fat, happy dragons. Rocket, 5 months, Dominic, 3 years, and Ivy, "5 months". Thank you all for welcoming me to the community!

Rocket-
2lnbmep.jpg

Ivy-
2mrw1hh.jpg

Dominic-
f4lahu.jpg

Harley (As she was)-
1zytvs3.jpg

Cuddles!-
i1xoxz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom